• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Salary cap shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So $25'000 to one player and $10'000 to another player.

Yes it is a deliberate breach of the salary cap, but at the same time the actual amount is pretty small when compared to the overall salary cap..
Seems to me ARU/involved persons have screwed up by even leaking this information, should have been kept on the down low and a financial penalty imposed at the end, all this has done is brought discredit upon the game. When there wasn't enough already.

The issue is not the amount of money but the principle and the FACT that the CEOs or their designate sign Statutory Declarations that they have complied with requirements. Do we tolerate blatant dishonesty on top of incompetence? The leaking of the information from the ARU just reflects on that board and its members also who have shown their high level of ethics in reviews previously.

This story shines a whole new light on the recent resignations of the Chairman, Manager and Coach of the Tahs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Not at all. Just that the Politburo that forms the Waratahs board is in self preservations mode and is making blood sacrifices to the God JON to save their souls and allow them another year or two (until NFJ can cancel the Franchise contract) to fill their wallets at the Trough of the Tahs.

T

TOCC

The issue is not the amount of money but the principle and the FACT that the CEOs or their designate sign Statutory Declarations that they have complied with requirements. Do we tolerate blatant dishonesty on top of incompetence? The leaking of the information from the ARU just reflects on that board and its members also who have shown their high level of ethics in reviews previously.

This story shines a whole new light on the recent resignations of the Chairman, Manager and Coach of the Tahs.

Well for starters we aren't exactly sure what the CEO's sign in the statutory declaration, or at what point the contracts were negotiated in terms of compliance with the salary cap..

In addition we don't know that it's the ARU leaking the info, it most likely is; however given the turnover in staff and leaks from other provinces, it's fair to say there are plenty of places that these reports could have come from.

I'm not saying they are innocent, but blowing this story up into something it potentially isn't wont help either..

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
It's gotta be the Tahs or Reds, hasn't it? Brumbies were a bunch of rookies, and the Force haven't got the depth of quality to start approaching the salary cap.

With players like Robinson, Nau, Kepu, Vickerman, Mumm, ELsom, Palu, Barnes, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, Mitchell all in one team, there's no way they're all being paid legally.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think there have been plenty of less than subtle hints to suggest that it is indeed the Waratahs.......

T

Train Without a Station

I think factors show it has to be the Waratahs. The Reds had the lowest player wage expenditure in 2011, so it's highly unlikely they would be over in 2012, despite losing a couple of players for 2011 and 2013. The Force look like spastics, so if it's them they must be paying overs for a lot of nuffies. As mentioned the Brumbies don't have too many big names and a lot of rookies and would likely have the lowest player wage expenditure this year. The Rebels are a slight possibility due to the big money they paid for JOC (James O'Connor) and Kurtley, but because their players do not have too much link to club rugby it's doubtful.

That only leaves one team, who despite losing one big name, picked up a couple more and I think has the highest wallaby representation...

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The fact that Jason Allen refused to comment on it screams volumes.
Not necessarily - he said that the ARU have requested that only they comment on the matter. He was stuck between being stoned by the public and being stoned by the ARU, and IMO, he chose correctly.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not necessarily - he said that the ARU have requested that only they comment on the matter. He was stuck between being stoned by the public and being stoned by the ARU, and IMO, he chose correctly.
He says the ARU have requested that only they comment, and the other franchises say"categorically it's not us"
says a bit to me.....

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
He says the ARU have requested that only they comment, and the other franchises say"categorically it's not us"
says a bit to me...

I think it removed some doubt over which franchise was responsible. If it wasn't them, he would've given a flat out denial.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I should say though, looking at the team lists on paper the Tahs stand out easily as being the likely culprit.

Wallaby front row, three Wallaby locks with a promising player, three Wallaby back rowers, marquee halfback, and nearly an entire Walaby backline outside him. Plus established club men like Carter and Hangers probably don't come cheap.

Would be shocked if the Tahs didn't have the highest wages bill.

And I don't see how it could be the Rebels as it has been mentioned that the salary cap won't apply to them, although they will likely stick to it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think it is the Tahs and i also think the club is implicated and just as responsible in the shenanigans as well. Possibly to stop another player heading overseas again as a number have been lost already.

Status
Not open for further replies.