• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Salary cap shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Salary cap should be bigger in NSW cos it costs more to live here. palu is living in the western suburbs for f sake. The ARU need to make a stand for good here.
WJ - lets not be silly, were does it end then. Rebs will ask for more because playes need to relocate for 6 months, Pony's will ask for more because they have players relocate for 6 months.

T

TOCC

Salary cap should be bigger in NSW cos it costs more to live here. palu is living in the western suburbs for f sake. The ARU need to make a stand for good here.

If anyone has a case to argue for a higher salary cap it will be the Force.... Not the Tahs

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So apart from exceptions for the Ponys, Rebels, Force, and Tahs, the Salary Cap is a good tool to keep those pesky Reds in their place.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
What sort of penalty can we realistically expect to see from the ARU towards NSWRU.

Its pretty shit that fans get punished for the failures at a management level..

I would think that only SANZAR could dock competition points or put some other restriction on the Tahs in next years competition. The ARU would have to get the NZRU and SARU on board to do so.

More likely, the ARU's punishment would be financial. Given NSWRU is (I recall) making a slight loss, this may be a pretty big stick. The ARU could end up taking over the NSWRU (again).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How else do you do it when the ARU is fronting the money?

I am pretty sure the Australian sides have higher salaries than the Kiwi sides so on that basis, it shouldn't be a problem for us.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Im saying hypothetically if the ARU docks the Waratahs competition points or reduces the Tahs allowed salary cap for 2013 then its punishing the fans..
They can't dock them points,SANZAR runs the comp and SANZAR has no cap.
It appears the ARU are going for a cleansing of the joint rather than a punishment, which is the best case scenario.

T

TOCC

4. Cap doesn't apply to the Rebels.

This is incorrect.. The Rebels do indeed play under a salary cap..
There are some discrepancies when it comes to the foreign marquee players however..

From my understanding, the way the marquee player system works, the wages are factored into the salary cap until a certain point($300'000), so if Gareth Delve is here on a $500'000 contract, $300'000 will be included in the salary cap, the rest is exempt.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This is incorrect.. The Rebels do indeed play under a salary cap..
There are some discrepancies when it comes to the foreign marquee players however..

From my understanding, the way the marquee player system works, the wages are factored into the salary cap until a certain point($300'000), so if Gareth Delve is here on a $500'000 contract, $300'000 will be included in the salary cap, the rest is exempt.

That pretty much means they aren't working under the salary cap doesn't it?

Whoever is responsible for the cap routing is doing the same thing.

T

TOCC

That pretty much means they aren't working under the salary cap doesn't it?

Whoever is responsible for the cap routing is doing the same thing.

No it doesn't, they have a salary cap which is different to the other organisations due to the higher number of foreign players, its still a salary cap nonetheless...

As for salary cap rorting, well you are clutching at staws to claim the Rebels are the same as the Tahs , Rebels operate within the rules, the Tahs allegedly haven't been.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It seems to me that the Rebels are doing precisely what the rules allow them to. They'd be cheating if they designated Beale as a foreign import on their books so that they only had to hold $147,000 (or whatever) against the cap. But they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.