• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SANZAR/Super rugby future format

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PhucNgo

Moses said:
there was more than a little gay abandon in that pool scene shown last week where drew had his pink short shorts...

It wasn't the shorts so much as that thing he had on his head. Looked like he'd been going thru his mothers wardrobe again.

But seriously, if I'm not missing something, the ANZ Cup is on the bones of its proverbial and the ranks of NZ professionals has been severely diluted by the exodus up north. The point being that its in the interests of both Aus and NZ to shore up a hefty media deal. The CC will remain pivotal in SA by weight of crowd numbers but probably will feel the pinch if SA goes alone or moves its S14 teams up north. Either way you can see the dilemma. Like him or loath him JON has a keen eye for the big picture.

Although the financial crunch introduces another dynamic to the situation, the north continues to gain momentum and poses the single largest threat to maintaining an elite competition in the SH. For those in any doubt have a read of Gareth Davies' article from last week's (maybe the week before) Herald.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
The only thing I'd say about letting the Argies into the TriNations is that I wouldn't worry about whether or not they can guarantee their top team or not. I say: build it and they will come. Make the comp real, and it will completely change the career decision-making of Argentinian rugby players.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't agree with getting a heap of NRL players to fill the new team as IMHO the only truly successful league players have been Robinson and to a much lesser extent Thorn and perhaps Tuqiri. Oz would be better off getting players back from OS, more marquee players (as others have stated) and bringing in fringe players, good club players and guys fresh out of school (not too many and not too quickly).

As for the 3N, expanf it to 4 with the Argies and only play 1 team in a 3 match series (bring back tours!!!), play the other 2 teams in subsequent years and let national coaches decide how they want to build in a WC year - we can never have a repeat of 2007. After the WC swap over and repeat.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Scarfman said:
The only thing I'd say about letting the Argies into the TriNations is that I wouldn't worry about whether or not they can guarantee their top team or not. I say: build it and they will come. Make the comp real, and it will completely change the career decision-making of Argentinian rugby players.

And if we free up a few more spots in our playing roster arrangement we can have a few more of them playing down here.

*lightbulb moment* What about if a 5th Aussie Super Rugby team in Melbourne had a far lower restriction of imports than our other franchises? Revitalise the Rebels concept to allow a stack of foreign players in in a Barbarians-style concept!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
IMHO the only truly successful league players have been Robinson and to a much lesser extent Thorn and perhaps Tuqiri.
How about Elsom?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
You can throw Palu in as well if you want to include any rugby player who ever played for an NRL club. However none of Barnes, Elsom or Palu were stars in league and so should be excluded.

I think Thorn would be on the list. He has won NRL premierships, State of Origins, S14 titles and has been part of All Black teams that have won the Bledisloe and the trinations.

Not much else he could have done in league or union except for beat the lions and win the RWC but not many players have that on their CV.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
At least Barnes played NRL football - don't think Elsom or Palu ever came close?

Agree with mark_s - Thorn was have to be the most successful convert in both codes.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ash said:
At least Barnes played NRL football - don't think Elsom or Palu ever came close?

Agree with mark_s - Thorn was have to be the most successful convert in both codes.

No, Robinson - that's Jason Robinson, former England winger and scorer of THAT try in November 2003.

Robinson was a far more important figure than Thorn in both codes.

BTW, I presume you are restricting the discussion to the era of pro rugby and from league to union only. If not, players such as Ken Kearney, Rex Mossop, Kevin Ryan from the 1950s/early 1960s would the first very successful converts. From the mid 1960s to 1990s, there were many successful converts. Going back to year dot, Dally Messenger did a good job in both codes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Biffo said:
Ash said:

No, Robinson - that's Jason Robinson, former England winger and scorer of THAT try in November 2003.

Robinson was a far more important figure than Thorn in both codes.

Hmmm, that's a tough one with Robinson, but I suppose you're right.

Robinson played for Wigan, who dominated England in the early 90s, and won the league comp (challenge cup or something) several years in a row - although the England comp was definitely weaker than the ARL back then. Robinson was regarded as a very good league player, but being a typical insular Australian, I thought that he was behind Wendell Sailor in the league winger pecking order. Sailor I thought had a more successful league career than Robinson. Robinson didn't win anything at club level in union, though? Leceister was still dominating? But he was crucial to the English union team - their only back with real spark, plus he won a world cup and made the final of another.

Thorn won several premierships in Brisbane, but I don't think he played in the Australian team that won a league world cup. For a few years in the mid-late 90s though Thorn was considered one of the best backrowers in league and played a few games for the successful Australian team.

BTW, I presume you are restricting the discussion to the era of pro rugby and from league to union only. If not, players such as Ken Kearney, Rex Mossop, Kevin Ryan from the 1950s/early 1960s would the first very successful converts. From the mid 1960s to 1990s, there were many successful converts. Going back to year dot, Dally Messenger did a good job in both codes.

Yeah, only professional era. Michael O'Connor, for example is another successful one. Ray Price too. You can, perhaps, stick Ricky Stuart in with that lot as well. There's heaps that switched before Union became professional.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Moses said:
Aussie D said:
IMHO the only truly successful league players have been Robinson and to a much lesser extent Thorn and perhaps Tuqiri.
How about Elsom?

:nta: What is a truly successful rugby player? Let alone league player.

I would suggest a regular test player is successful, maybe even a regular S14 player.

Peter Ryan was excellent for the Brumbies and played his role really well. As was Schicofske (sp) and as is McLinden so far.

Also what is a RL player, is Beale, who played as a young kid, or is it someone who held a pro contract - and for how long.

Does the taint ever leave? Palu held a pro RL contract and has gone on to be a great 8 for Aus IMHO, as did Elsom who is now one of the best in his position in the world.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Talking calendars - I want an international window for 7s. Like the IPL. I dunno when. Feb perhaps. Maybe November. Perhaps for 2 or 3 weekends, to allow the best players to play the game.

Now I know a lot of you will say, that the best 15 players don't make the best 7s players, but I want to see it anyway.

If Rugby gets in the Olympics, 7s should get a massive boost. Id imagine we'd be seeing the best players (or high profile players) at the Olympics. I could imagine the likes of Dan Carter, Bryan Habana, Shane Williams, Matt Giteau would love nothing more than a Olympic (Gold) medal. Or to hook up with Stephanie Rice. So I can forsee the need to get these players playing the game more regularly, thus the 7s window.

And surely Australia could do better than the current lot. Something like:

7 Digby Ione
6 Rob Horne
5 Matt Giteau
4 Ben Lucas/Luke Burgess
3 Rocky Elsom
2 David Pocock
1 Ryan Cross/Lote Tuqiri

8 James O'Connor/Mark McLinden
9 Adam Ashley-Cooper/Lachie Turner/Drew Mitchell/Peter Hynes
10 Dean Mumm/ Scott Higginbottham/Richard Brown

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PhucNgo said:
The CC will remain pivotal in SA by weight of crowd numbers but probably will feel the pinch if SA goes alone or moves its S14 teams up north. Either way you can see the dilemma. Like him or loath him JON has a keen eye for the big picture.
I have post on TSF my thinking about this. The CC play the most important role in SA rugby. Its not a competition of the top players but also a U19 & U21 going on the same time. That competition is our next levels from schholboy to Vodacom Cup.

IF SARugby drop the CC it will be one huge disater to our rugby.

No way Saru will give Oneil the green light to add a team, they'll only settle for a extra SA team like the Spears.

SA Rugby can also do easily without either S14 or 3 Nation rugby and can replace them play in the NH and let NZ have tours here or there. Rugby is big enough in this country to let a arse like ONeil tell us what we should do. He'll either have to adopt or he'll pay one huge prize if we withdraw for both the S14 and 3 Nations.

P

PhucNgo

PaarlBok said:
PhucNgo said:
The CC will remain pivotal in SA by weight of crowd numbers but probably will feel the pinch if SA goes alone or moves its S14 teams up north. Either way you can see the dilemma. Like him or loath him JON has a keen eye for the big picture.
I have post on TSF my thinking about this. The CC play the most important role in SA rugby. Its not a competition of the top players but also a U19 & U21 going on the same time. That competition is our next levels from schholboy to Vodacom Cup.

IF SARugby drop the CC it will be one huge disater to our rugby.

No way Saru will give Oneil the green light to add a team, they'll only settle for a extra SA team like the Spears.

SA Rugby can also do easily without either S14 or 3 Nation rugby and can replace them play in the NH and let NZ have tours here or there. Rugby is big enough in this country to let a arse like ONeil tell us what we should do. He'll either have to adopt or he'll pay one huge prize if we withdraw for both the S14 and 3 Nations.

Paarl, I think we all understand your strong feelings about the CC, but can you explain how, in practical terms SA rugby can manage a meaningful connection with the NH? This has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum previously without success (by probably not the worlds greatest Rugby brains, admittedly.). The only meaningful thing I could add to that argument would be perhaps SA could find a way to compete in the HC, which on reflection probably wouldn't be all that meaningful; symbolic maybe but not meaningful. The only practical alternative would be for SA to go it alone, realistically, and they could probably manage it in the short term. But hang on, you guys have got a Soccer World Cup around the corner, and as we experienced here in Aus, the post (Rugby) WC halo effect that transferred into 2004/5 was significant. Can you imagine what impact its gonna have in SA, where the overwhelming majority of the population (I suspect) has greater sympathy for the round-ball game?

I did happen to read your comments earlier today on TSF, along with the input of some like-minded (fairly loud-minded) Kiwis, who seemed to have one aim, that of villifying JON, rather than discussing the issue. In Rugby terms, playing the man and not the ball. It seemed to me tho that they all avoided addressing he parlous state of the ANZC, or if they did the probablems could be sheeted home to Aus Rugby or JON in particular. We live in the world we live in, we may not like it but that's where we're at. I'm not defending JON, I'm just saying that the old standards are changing, not necessarily for the better, but like it or not the change is not gonna stop. I guess the nearest analogy I can paint to SA Rugby going alone is the situation of the NRL here in Aus (and I won't mention (gloat over) the success of their recent season launch). Similar to Rugby in SA they've had the game to themselves in NSW and Qld forever. They'll always have their diehards but every time you open the paper these days there's someone going to Rugby in NH or Japan, or threatening to anyway, and if its not this its the success of the national soccer team or the national soccer comp. (And SA doesn't even have to contend with the AFL.) The NRL is under real pressure from all quarters and they don't have a way out. Rugby does. It will never challenge the RBG for global supremacy, there are just too many boneheads out there, but it can survive successfully at an international level.

At the moment, SH Rugby has the pleasure of seeing its finest running around up close and personal courtesy of the money brought in by the S14. While the money's there we have a shot at this continuing, however, the unappealing alternative is to get your weekly dose of Rugby immediately following the English Premier League match on cable.

Rant over.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You are dead right there PhucNgo.

SA has two genuine options - stick with the S14 and their current season or go it alone. It isnt an option to head to the NH comps because they run at the wrong time. I cant see the NH clubs being prepared to head to Cape Town to play a Heinekin cup game over Christmas. The NH wont rejig its season to suit SA. Its possible, but would be prohibitively expensive, for the relevant SA teams to base themselves in Europe for the Heinekin Cup. However, even if they were to do this, it would mean that the SA players would never rest. They would be playing the endless season.

The JON rants on TSF get a bit tiresome. Too often they play the man not the issue.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Like I state on TSF we dont need anyone to decide our terms or where we should play. Rugby is just to big in this country. Just to show it strengths here go look at our Varsity Cup. That comp is Francois Pienaars brainchild and one huge success.

Regarding the WC poofball, no matter how big it is, it will play no part in our rugby world. Rugby is hard cement as a structure in our schoolboy base and that wont change.

If we exit the S14 we will have to find a other way of filling the money gap that it leaves. Be it the NH then it will be. No ways our lot will survive only on CC.

Myself is perfectly sure (I had a chat with Peter de Villiers just yesterday) Saru have allready their plan of action ready for plan B. All I can say is that they will hold their cards to their chest.

Already we saw Marinos asking ONeil to shut his mouth. Like I said I wish Louis Luyt was still in power today. He would not have take any shite from ONeil or the politicians and would have set the tone.

Still think if they want to change anything, include as many teams as they want and divide it in two groups of say 10 equally spread between the countries, play a home and away fixture within these and have a business end to get the winner.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Like I state on TSF we dont need anyone to decide our terms or where we should play. Rugby is just to big in this country. Just to show it strengths here go look at our Varsity Cup. That comp is Francois Pienaars brainchild and one huge success.

Regarding the WC poofball, no matter how big it is, it will play no part in our rugby world. Rugby is hard cement as a structure in our schoolboy base and that wont change.

If we exit the S14 we will have to find a other way of filling the money gap that it leaves. Be it the NH then it will be. No ways our lot will survive only on CC.

Myself is perfectly sure (I had a chat with Peter de Villiers just yesterday) Saru have allready their plan of action ready for plan B. All I can say is that they will hold their cards to their chest.

Already we saw Marinos asking ONeil to shut his mouth. Like I said I wish Louis Luyt was still in power today. He would not have take any shite from ONeil or the politicians and would have set the tone.

Still think if they want to change anything, include as many teams as they want and divide it in two groups of say 10 equally spread between the countries, play a home and away fixture within these and have a business end to get the winner.

Playing the man and not the ball seems to be a dominant South African practice, on and way beyond the rugby field.

Get over your (very petty) O'Neill complex and get on with thinking about the subject.

I can very easily and strongly defend John O'Neill. He is a brilliant manager who has vision [** see footnote] and is prepared to think out and propose ways ahead for rugby in a challenging world. Not too many other rugby administrators can think and form a vision and are prepared to put their thoughts into the public domain.

About a year back, John O'Neill put up a suggestion for a provincial competition involving Australia and New Zealand. A huge storm of personal abuse was directed at John O'Neill for this suggestion, not only on TSF but also in most NZ print media.

Six months later, Stu Wilson (now you're talking about a motor mouth unconnected to any thinking device) proposed precisely the same as John O'Neill had. The NZ rugby media and the ferals on TSF, almost to a man, stood and cheered Wilson's brilliant suggestion.

Go figure.

As for SARU decamping to the "NH" .... :lmao: :lmao: . Haven't you got a better negotiating tool than the never-ending threats to take your ball and go home?

** Vision, by definition, can concern only the future :)

P

PhucNgo

PaarlBok said:

PB, we can only hope that Pete isn't required to explain to us what plan B is. It could take some time and end up like a line from an old Don Henley song about lawyers making us an offer we can't understand. :lmao:

Louis Luyt, well there was a shy and retiring politically correct gentlemen if ever there was one. :fishing I seem to recall that he got into more than a little trouble over the years with his outspoken views.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pretty sad you lot moaning about playing the man on TSF but look like you do the same here. :angryfire: You also seem to dont understand our and the Kiwis rugby culture. Small provinces like Boland or BoP may mean nothing to you lot or ONeil but they mean a lot to the real Kiwi or SA supporter. Its about survival in tough times.

Like I say your ONeil may get his team at the end of the day but not before he have to give something in return and that will be the Spears (not that I want it).

There is way more then just rugby pressure for Saru to get that, its political pressure on them.

It will be either that or nothing that I can promise you.

Regarding Peter de Villiers, he gave nothing away about this , was only my observation.

P

PhucNgo

PB, just a quick addendum from how to lie with statistics 101.

RSA - per capita GDP $9,767 - popn. 44m
Aus - per capita GDP $36,225 - popn. 21m
NZ - per capita GSP $26,610 - popn. 4m

Guess where the market is?

Does anyone have stats on cable tv heads per whatever of population?

Status
Not open for further replies.