• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SANZAR/Super rugby future format

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
This argument will go on and on until the NZRU shows its hand. The ARU and SARU played their cards sometime ago now and, from a tactical POV, neither of them should move until the NZRU moves.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Biffo said:
Please, RSA, stop yakking and just eff off.

Who started the yakking? O'Neill did.

Does SA have no right to protect their interests?

I don't agree with how Maronis is goign about it but jeez mate, I hope you're never responsible for negotiating anything.

Ever hear of a little boy taking his ball and going home because he is given out? That is SARU's negotiating tactic. No compromises, no nothing, just run away and play with your mates in Europe.

I assure you I negotiate a lot better ... and far more successfully ... than that.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:

I don't agree with how Maronis is goign about it but jeez mate, I hope you're never responsible for negotiating anything.

Just how is having a racially-selected team in an Australian conference of any benefit to RSA?

:lmao: Now you're just talking shit.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:
Biffo said:

Ever hear of a little boy taking his ball and going home because he is given out? That is SARU's negotiating tactic. No compromises, no nothing, just run away and play with your mates in Europe.

I assure you I negotiate a lot better ... and far more successfully ... than that.

What, did you go to the Jon School of negotiation? :thumb

I have said repeatedly that Marinos is a fuckwit of gigantic proportion.

My response to your comment was becuase you made a stupid sweeping statement with no logic behind it, and definitely not to bat for SARU who are as retarded than o'le Jonny.

Anyway seems like we are on different planets on this matter. You think playing SA teams has no value and I'd still like to see my team compete here and in NZ. I canlt fathom the idea of SA in Europe. It's a stupid idea.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
cyclopath said:
So I guess that's a yes to my question about Marinos?
talking about this one?
They should all pull their heads in
No the one where I asked why you are so happy to see Marinos behave like a stubborn knob but denounce O'Neill for the same thing. I admit it was somewhat rhetorical.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
Anyway seems like we are on different planets on this matter. You think playing SA teams has no value and I'd still like to see my team compete here and in NZ. I canlt fathom the idea of SA in Europe. It's a stupid idea.

Not at all. You and I agree completely in concepts. I think playing RSA teams, home and away, has enormous value for Australian teams. I think, as you do, that RSA playing in Europe is stupid. Two problems there: (1) the mismatch of seasons (2) that RSA teams would have to play against Eurotrash, which wouldn't do much for your game.

I think the three conference system is a fine concept and would like SANZAR to try very hard to make it work. I can't see that the fifth Australia conference team can be based anywhere except in Australia.

On matters of playing strength, it seems that a fifth Australian side would be stronger than a sixth RSA side. If playing strength is the selection criterion, NZ must get the sixth team. It is strange that NZ hasn't been demanding it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry Boet I havent catch that one. :nta: In my books Marinos dont behave like a stubborn knob. The fact is we wont move the CC. That one is cast in stone.

Regarding the new S15 proposal, I dont give a damn. Living in a dream world if you think this three conference with one more team is a better product to what we have at the moment. Its a kak proposal in any case and both Marinos and ONeil is just plain pretty stupid. Myself wants lesser teams not more.

So in my books ONeil wants to start in March and the CC in danger I think he is a big tool. With his conference thing he wants to get the CC or NPC involve in Super Rugby. Thats aint workable because what about the smaller SA & Kiwi provinces? and thats where Marinos and kie will never agree to because that smaller unions in SA play a equal role in decision making in Saru.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Biffo said:
Blue said:

Not at all. You and I agree completely in concepts. I think playing RSA teams, home and away, has enormous value for Australian teams. I think, as you do, that RSA playing in Europe is stupid. Two problems there: (1) the mismatch of seasons (2) that RSA teams would have to play against Eurotrash, which wouldn't do much for your game.

I think the three conference system is a fine concept and would like SANZAR to try very hard to make it work. I can't see that the fifth Australia conference team can be based anywhere except in Australia.

On matters of playing strength, it seems that a fifth Australian side would be stronger than a sixth RSA side. If playing strength is the selection criterion, NZ must get the sixth team. It is strange that NZ hasn't been demanding it.

Here's the problem. You expect SA to change and move the Currie Cup so that Australia can have another team and use Super rugby to grow the game domestically.

In SA, Currie Cup is like Origin. It's not the Shute Shield.

The only reason the Spears card was played again is a negotiating tactic (and a dirty one at that). So its a childish "if I can't have the toy you won't either"

The fundamental problem lies with extending the comp window.

Maybe the relationship is just so bad that Plan B should kick in. SA could end up out in the cold by the way.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Two problems there: (1) the mismatch of seasons (2) that RSA teams would have to play against Eurotrash, which wouldn't do much for your game.
1)Dont think there is much of a mismatch these days. Our lot playing from Feb to Dec and not so much fine tuning. Just look at the popularity in our Varsity Cup. It started earlier as the S14 and look what SA has done with it.
2) You may call them Eurothrash but throw SA into that pot and you may end up with something diffirent a few years down the line. At least they have the same passionate crowds for the game and SH supporters living on this one now for years. That can change in quick time.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
Two problems there: (1) the mismatch of seasons (2) that RSA teams would have to play against Eurotrash, which wouldn't do much for your game.
1)Dont think there is much of a mismatch these days. Our lot playing from Feb to Dec and not so much fine tuning. Just look at the popularity in our Varsity Cup. It started earlier as the S14 and look what SA has done with it.
2) You may call them Eurothrash but throw SA into that pot and you may end up with something diffirent a few years down the line. At least they have the same passionate crowds for the game and SH supporters living on this one now for years. That can change in quick time.

I think we are arrogant to call teams like Munster, Stade and Leicester trash. I certainly won't feel comfortable if the Bulls had to run out against them in their home stadiums with 40,000 lunatic fans (80,000 in the case of Stade).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Blue said:
I think we are arrogant to call teams like Munster, Stade and Leicester trash. I certainly won't feel comfortable if the Bulls had to run out against them in their home stadiums with 40,000 lunatic fans (80,000 in the case of Stade).
True, will love to see our teams playing in front of their passionate crowds. This lot telling us they wont recieve us with open arms. That counts zip, money talks and if we can attrack arses on bums, the admins will work something out.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
...attrack arses on bums...

I sincerely hope all your bums in SAf have arses on them; if that's not the case some people are in serious trouble. PB, do you mean to tell us some of them don't? :bootyshake

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lindommer said:
PaarlBok said:

I sincerely hope all your bums in SAf have arses on them; if that's not the case some people are in serious trouble. PB, do you mean to tell us some of them don't? :bootyshake

:lmao:

Well the new Prime Minister elect has an enormous arse on him so he makes up for the areseless bums, or are those bumless arses?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Blue said:
Lindommer said:
PaarlBok said:

Well the new Prime Minister elect has an enormous arse on him so he makes up for the areseless bums, or are those bumless arses?
Well, the ARU has an enormous arse too...we just call him John.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
Blue said:
Lindommer said:
PaarlBok said:

Well, the ARU has an enormous arse too...we just call him John.
Doc (Scarfman) I need your help honestly. You have me on a written warning here about the Sydney Moffie Club reporting me and I tried my outmost best to win their credit back and now lost all credit from the other lot. :lmao:

Once again you lot will have nothing without us Saffers, ja you will miss even player nr23, Paarlbok if we walk out that door. :nta:

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So Jon wants another team and the Force is almost bankrupt. Laughable.

From SMH:

Force facing extinction: report

April 24, 2009 - 12:03PM

Australia's newest Super 14 franchise, the Western Force, is at risk of folding according to a report in today's West Australian.

The newspaper says that an independent report compiled by LEK Consulting shows the Force are on track to lose $2.8 million dollars this year. The loss is on the back of the failed sponsorship from to the Firepower scandal and crowds staying away from Subiaco Oval as it is unsuitable for watching rugby. Membership with the Force has nearly halved since 2006 while the average home crowd attendance over the same period of time has plummeted by nearly 10,000.

The Force will play at Members Equity Stadium next year and the report obtained by the West Australian says that the move will help ease the final hemorrhaging. However, the problem will not be fixed with franchise's bottom line unless the West Australian government spends $73 million it promised in 2004 to upgrade the facility and increase the capacity from 18,000 to 25,000.

ARU chief John O'Neill has urged the WA Government to honour the deal.

"If you look around Australia, the successful franchises in rugby union, rugby league and soccer have dedicated, purpose-built stadiums," he told the West Australian.

"I'd be greatly comforted if the WA Government would deliver that outcome for the Force. The ARU's commitment to Perth is unambiguous. It was the correct decision to give Perth a team, and they have shown the potential of rugby in WA. Any suggestion we would willingly move the team from Perth to Melbourne is ludicrous. However, we've got to get the Force back in the black as soon as possible. The ARU is not a lender of last resort."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/force-facing-extinction-report/2009/04/24/1240079842723.html

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That sure is a joke. :lmao:

Anyway think this maybe just the right place to talk about the Southern Kings then. Heyneke Meyer look like taking the reigns there for the Lions match.
Meyer lined up for a coach position

Heyneke Meyer is being lined up as the coach for the new South African rugby franchise, the Southern Kings.

The franchise is being established to participate in an expanded Super rugby competition from 2011 onwards. Meyer is apparently seen as the right coach.

Stormers coach Rassie Erasmus has been linked to the job in recent weeks. However, Meyer?s better coaching record carries more weight. The Kings play their first game on June 16 against the British and Irish Lions.

Sport24 reported this week that former Springbok selector Francois Davids will be the convenor of selectors for the side, and not Eastern Province president Cheeky Watson.

Watson told Sport24 in Port Elizabeth on Thursday that he proposes Davids should be the selection convenor for the Kings side against the British and Irish Lions.

The Kings will play the tourists in the new Nelson Mandela Bay stadium. ?I don?t want people to say Cheeky Watson is picking this guy or that guy,? said Watson.

?That removes the attention from me and places it where it should be -- on the game.?

?We hope it will be a strong side that is selected. That is why I asked that Davids should work with Peter de Villiers (Springbok coach). ?If there are players Peter would like to see in action (with an eye towards the Lions series), they can be picked.?

Watson would like to see players with their roots in the Eastern Cape in the side. ?We have to be realistic. Not many of the current players (at SWD, EP and Border) will be picked,? he said.

So it all tells me Luke Watson will lead them. Believe Meyer is the right guy to get this one going.

R

Red Beard

In NZ our issues IMO seem to revolve around finding a solution to address the massive decline in attendance figures at S14 and ANZ Cup games. Slowing the continued offshore exodus of our elite players which is eroding the standard of our S14 franchises and creating a new NPC that is financially viable for competing provinces. Our once highly vaunted NPC has been massively devalued by S14 (and the NZRU who should all be excuted for tinkering with it).

Even after 14 seasons there is still much unhappiness between neighbouring provinces that make up each individual franchise over the balance of power and benefits that franchise 'host' union receives (eg Auckland is the host or base union in the Blues franchise).

I still believe daytime kickoffs are better for the NZ climate as opposed to night games which benefit NH audiences. Saturday afternoon kickoffs IMO would also get more bums on seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.