• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Say It Ain't So!!! McCaw may be GONE...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I've heard that Richie is gone.......

Announcement to be made on Saturday or after Argentina QF. Foot requires surgery.

08umema

WHY DO YOU TORMENT US LIKE THIS!!!! Wouldn't playing on it eff it up even more?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i heard this last week, there was the same rumour when he pulled out of the canada game, then Carter got injured and all of a sudden he was right to play.

without him or Carter the all blacks are going to have some major psych problems getting up. England are going to win this cup.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I've heard similar chat. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a late scratching for Thompson, and if that happens then he'll be out for good. They won't replace him in the squad though, he'll need to stay around.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I've heard similar chat. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a late scratching for Thompson, and if that happens then he'll be out for good. They won't replace him in the squad though, he'll need to stay around.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.

Is Daniel Braid fit?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh shit.

I think I'd prefer Vito to Thompson. As good as he was at Super level, he hasn't convinced at Tests level. I don't think he's confrontational enough.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Carter, & MaCaw gone. Jobs dead. Welsh rugby finally entertaining 40 years after BJ, GE, JPRW et al. What next? Peace in the Middle East and Aubundant Water in Australia's interior?

08umema

Worrying signs as my hopes were that if we didn't win then I would want NZ to take care of Bill for 4 years for us. Anyone But England!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Has the Second Christchurch Earthquake (Carter = first one) finally struck or is this just a ........preliminary aftershock? Is there such a thing as a foreshock of an earthquake?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I am not afraid to come out and say that this thread has me going. He has had foot complaints before.

If it's a puss take then well played sir, well played.

The word I got was that he pulled up lame in training today. I wish I was taking the piss and I hope my contact is wrong but us Kiwis are too gun-shy to joke about this shit man. As Big Worm might put it.....playing with the All Blacks is like playing my emotions Smokey.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Has the Second Christchurch Earthquake (Carter = first one) finally struck or is this just a ........preliminary aftershock? Is there such a thing as a foreshock of an earthquake?

As much as i have hated the degenerate New Zealanders booing us and taking joy in our players being injured (ie Drew Mitchell) i feel that this post is of poor taste and brings yourself down to that level.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Going by Fox sports latest McCaw is fine, he wont play against the Argies but no mention of him being out of the rest of the RWC.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If the rumors about the screw in his foot sticking through the bone is true, itsonly a matter of time til the bone fractures, he may be able to play with painkillers but the fact is, every time he plays it's going to get worse.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you have taken offence, I am sorry, none was meant.

This observation was made on the basis that Christchurch was devastated by two earthquakes recently.

The loss of Carter has had a devastating effect on the NZRT chances in RWC. If this report is true, then the loss of Sir Richie would be a kick in the guts of a team that is struggling to get over the first bombshell.

I know too well the upper hand held by nature. I have lost friends and close family in bushfires. Very close friends have been lost to cancer, and my neice is currently battling breast cancer. Family friends were injured in the bali bomb. Car accidents - who doesn't know someone. I sympathise with all those who have lose loved ones or property in recent tsunami.

As bad as these all are, I am still able to compare certain things to a car smash about to happen, or situation x is like a cancer in the club, or a tsunami of ? ? is about to hit ....? etc without thinking I am being disrespectful to those who have fallen victim to such tragedys. Nor in saying so am I doing so to take schadenfreude from the situation.

Same here. If Sir Richie is gone, then the double blows to the NZRT can be likened to natures double blows to Christchurch.

I am on record elsewhere as saying that a victory over the NZRT at less than full strength is a somewhat hollow victory. Helicopter to the top of Mt Everest vs Climbing there. The photos taken at the top are the same, but the sense of schievement is significantly different. Lets not enter the debate about the lack of oxygen and thinness of the air at 29000 feet affecting the ability to conduct helicopter operations.

Latest from the NZ Herald on the issue is:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10757234
All Black coach Graham Henry says captain Richie McCaw has a "big mental challenge" in dealing with his constant foot injury for the remainder of the Rugby World Cup.

McCaw was today named to play in Sunday's quarter-final against Argentina but has been forced to limit his training ahead of the clash due to the persistent foot problem.

McCaw's season has been hampered since he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his right foot in February. He had surgery and missed the first seven games of the Super 15 season.

He also missed the side's second pool match Japan due to a calf strain before being a late withdrawal from their final game against Japan.

Assistant coach Steve Hansen confirmed yesterday that McCaw has been unable to take part in "physical, hard, body-contact stuff" at training.

Henry told media today that McCaw will have to deal with the on-going issue of not having a normal preparation ahead of each match.

"I think Richie has got a challenge on. He hasn't played for a while and he's not preparing as he normally does, so it's going to be a big mental challenge for him," Henry said.

"It's niggly and he's looking after it as best he can. He will play on the weekend. It's just an ongoing thing really. He's got to do what he can do during the week to perform at the weekend. He's controlling himself very well I think."

Henry said he wasn't sure if the injury was getting worse and it was a waiting game for the All Blacks' skipper.

"I don't know. I'll tell you after Sunday. He hasn't played a couple of weeks. It's just that he runs on it and feels good and wakes up the next day and it's niggly again.

"So hopefully we've got three games ahead of us and it's just a matter of trying to make sure he's available for each of those three games. He's got to tailor what he does running-wise to be able to handle that eventuality.

"He's a pretty experienced sort of rugby player. He'll do what he thinks is best to make sure he can play well on Sunday."

With McCaw returning to the lineup the All Blacks will have their top loose-forward trio for Sunday's match at Eden Park but they still face some challenges Henry said.

"Jerome Kaino is playing the rugby of his life at the moment and Kieran Read has played 50 minutes in six weeks so there are a few challenges for them but they have a lot of experience together and are a world-class unit when they are right."

The injury issues are not just restricted to the skipper. Henry also confirmed today fellow loose-forward Adam Thomson was unavailable for selection due to injury along with utility backs Israel Dagg (thigh haematoma) and Richard Kahui (hamstring).

Wing Zac Guildford was ruled out of Sunday's the must-win game yesterday due to a hamstring injury while Dan Carter withdrew with the tournament after a groin tear on Friday

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am on record elsewhere as saying that a victory over the NZRT at less than full strength is a somewhat hollow victory. Helicopter to the top of Mt Everest vs Climbing there. The photos taken at the top are the same, but the sense of schievement is significantly different. Lets not enter the debate about the lack of oxygen and thinness of the air at 29000 feet affecting the ability to conduct helicopter operations.

I don't think it would be a hollow victory. If NZ has not put enough time into their back up's to ensure that they have the best available team than that is their loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.