• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
It may appear that my previous comment was a bit flippant however I do understand where you are coming from. As others have alluded to previously, this is definitely a circular thread, with people's definitions of scholarships being a major issue.
I don't have the inside knowledge as to what scholarships kids are on at what Schools as they have their variations. Some are on 100% sports, some are on 50% academic and others are on means tested all rounder bursaries and apparently there are a lot of others in between. Some kids are on these types of assistance and will make their 1XV and beyond and others will not. This is but a stage in the respective rugby careers of many individuals.
As can be seen in the swimming records of State & Australian Age, there are a lot of record holders that never represented this Country after being prodigies at a young age, apparently life gets in the way.
So are we going to find a definitive answer to the vexing question of should sports scholarships be offered at all, probably not, however it does make for some interesting reading if you can sort the wheat from the chaff.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
this is definitely a circular thread

If I knew what circadian meant I'd say it had more a circadian rhythm.
Its quiet now because the serendipitously organic Scots 1st XV trounced the non-organic Newington Incorporated and so the immediate consequences of scholarships are not being felt by some who may have expected to feel them at about 5pm last Saturday.
That would have made for an interesting debate.
I am anticipating a surge after U16's nationals and in the round 2 encounters.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
IS,
Perhaps rather than being serendipitous, it may be the result of 6 or more years of hard work (& reasonable coaching along the way) - at both club & school level - for most ?

6 rounds still to be played - and lots can happen in the meantime.

1 match does not a Premiership make - but as they say - perhaps timing is everything !

Good luck to all teams this weekend.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Wow - so GPSRow are you saying that only two from the current Newington First XV are not on bursaries/scholarships??

This is accurate, one has flown the flag solo for a few games. It would be nice to see them sort there game out this week and play as a team, expectation is rightfully high under these circumstances

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS,
Perhaps rather than being serendipitous, it may be the result of 6 or more years of hard work (& reasonable coaching along the way) - at both club & school level - for most ?
No.
You see it is nothing but a "happy accident" that this years 1sts are, to the extent they are (it having been doubted above), organic as the 16A's prove.
Had they not been so serendipitously competent no doubt the 1st Airborne would have been recalled and deployed, as necessary.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No.
You see it is nothing but a "happy accident" that this years 1sts are, to the extent they are (it having been doubted above), organic as the 16A's prove.
Had they not been so serendipitously competent no doubt the 1st Airborne would have been recalled and deployed, as necessary.
Things may well heat up after tomorrow's fixture at Northbridge. If fear the brave lads from Shore might be on the receiving end of a big score.

I'm sure they'll compete for a while, but I fear the final score.

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
First post in this thread so sincere apologies if this has been answered 100 times or does not suit the thread. My lad is a full fee paying student in a dominant QLD GPS school. He made 1stXV in Y11 last year, only missed one game from injury. Now a key player this year. I sent him there in Y10 for school and rugby with his agreement. He says I should ask headmaster for a scholarship as vast majority of 1stXV are on full or partial scholarships. I admit I am getting financial help from my parents to pay fees, but is this something that would be entertained by a school? They did not seek him out, it just happened that he was good enough. Obviously I can just happily mortgage away to give him a great education (his marks have gone through the roof since going there).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
redatheart, interesting question. I can't recall it being posed but as I like to watch has said the absolute worst that the school can say is no thank you. If you are paying full freight, they can not charge you extra for your cheek, they can not expel or suspend your boy for his parents having the gall to ask for some fee relief.

Last time I looked though, most Sydney Private School Parents would consider Brisbane fees as being a scholarship.:)
What are you paying up your way? Down here it looks like fees are around $22-$28k with another k or two for final year, plus extras for uniform, ipad/laptop, tours, etc, etc. The odd school is cheaper but not many give you change for less than $20k.

Last checked Brissie private school fees are somewhere between $14k and $20k. That is roughly a 25% discount scholarship right there.

In terms of should you approach the School for some fee relief, I am no expert but would advise that subtlety is probably the best approach rather than the direct approach and asking the Rugby Master "How about it?".

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
redatheart, interesting question. I can't recall it being posed but as I like to watch has said the absolute worst that the school can say is no thank you. If you are paying full freight, they can not charge you extra for your cheek, they can not expel or suspend your boy for his parents having the gall to ask for some fee relief.

Last time I looked though, most Sydney Private School Parents would consider Brisbane fees as being a scholarship.:)
What are you paying up your way? Down here it looks like fees are around $22-$28k with another k or two for final year, plus extras for uniform, ipad/laptop, tours, etc, etc. The odd school is cheaper but not many give you change for less than $20k.

Last checked Brissie private school fees are somewhere between $14k and $20k. That is roughly a 25% discount scholarship right there.

In terms of should you approach the School for some fee relief, I am no expert but would advise that subtlety is probably the best approach rather than the direct approach and asking the Rugby Master "How about it?".

I agree much cheaper than Sydney. My lad is a boarder so that changes the cost, although reducing my food bills. I am interstate so casual chats are not much on the cards :). When I get there for the very rare game the last thing I want to do is hit up the Rugby Master. I guess I really don;t want to 'show cheek' for small percentage of a result.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree much cheaper than Sydney. My lad is a boarder so that changes the cost, although reducing my food bills. I am interstate so casual chats are not much on the cards :). When I get there for the very rare game the last thing I want to do is hit up the Rugby Master. I guess I really don;t want to 'show cheek' for small percentage of a result.

Rumour has it that the parents of the Whitelock boys (all 4 of them are playing for the Canterbury Crusaders) in NZ sent their boys to boarding school and they reckon that they were better off on the basis of the reduction in their overall food bill. Not sure how many junior @redathearts you have boarding. Boarding fees in QLD approach NSW day boy fees.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But its not "illegal" up there - is it?

Or in NZ. They advertise in the paper for rugby scholarships at certain traditional rugby powerhouse schools.

The funny thing is that many of these rugby scholarships are at state funded schools like <insert town> Boys High School where the school fees are less than $1000 per year.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
First post in this thread so sincere apologies if this has been answered 100 times or does not suit the thread. My lad is a full fee paying student in a dominant QLD GPS school. He made 1stXV in Y11 last year, only missed one game from injury. Now a key player this year. I sent him there in Y10 for school and rugby with his agreement. He says I should ask headmaster for a scholarship as vast majority of 1stXV are on full or partial scholarships. I admit I am getting financial help from my parents to pay fees, but is this something that would be entertained by a school? They did not seek him out, it just happened that he was good enough. Obviously I can just happily mortgage away to give him a great education (his marks have gone through the roof since going there).

Tough dilemma - well done on your boy's grades - he is obviously invested in the school and working his heart out, and getting results all around because of his engagement - you and he chose the school, not the other way around.
Unfortunately, most of the boys in whom the school invests will take little more from their opportunity than a couple of seasons of rugby, a bit of misdirected adulation, and maybe a league contract - they have no interest in the holistic opportunities the schools offer. Too many times, when the schools chose the boy through these scholarships, logic and principles are all arse-around. There is no loyalty to the schools, nor any lingering association beyond season end.
I hope its not you redatheart, but I heard of a school up here that had a list of scholarship targets, but one of the boys genuinely wanted to attend, and his parents, perhaps niavely but certainly well-intended, enrolled him before scholarships were offered, so the school took him off the list.
Tough on the full fee payers in the First XVs that have been there for a while - I have seen and spoken to many parents ( and in lower grades ) wondering "if we hadn't committed to the school early, maybe we would be getting a free carry now on scholarship. " Hopefully those boys are taking advantage of the broader opportunity like yours is.

Top Bottom