• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Perhaps, but the intention of this would be that boys played a summer sport and a winter sport not just "do something". There is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that boys who genuinely play 2 or more different sports, will actually progress much better at there chosen sport as their brains and bodies have to learn a range of skills not just a single skill set. There was an expert quoted in one of the SMH articles this week who said this as well. To say nothing of the social aspect of perhaps playing with some different people at a sport where you aren't under the same pressure, because you're not one of the stars.

Great point and to digress slightly from the issue of leading academics blatently acting in contradiction of an agreed code of practice for a moment or two: do you remember when we were first allowed to "officially" lift in line outs?

A fellow (and rather progressive/enlightened) coach went to the local ballet company and invited one of their number along to training to teach the fatties how to efficiently and economically lift the longfellows who were to take the lineout ball. Initially there was ridicule with all the old prejudices coming out about male dancers.
This "effiminate ponce" also introduced pilates stretching and warm ups / warm downs to the team. Ballet had been doing this stuff since whenever. Rugby warm ups/warm downs at that time normally involved beer and cigarettes.

Long story short (and that is unusual for me) but that team went on to win the premiership (didn't make the finals series the previous year), and had an injury count that was 1/2 the previous year, and a bunch of hitherto bigoted boofheads subscribed to the Friends of the Ballet Company. This was a while ago and many still enjoy the ballet, but somehow there are nowhere near as many "effiminate ponces" dancing as there apparently once was.

Viva la difference.

AFL can teach us how to kick a bloody footy. It staggers me that we seem to continue to ignore this capability on our doorstep than NONE of the other IRB countries have.

Edit: Layout and spelling. Maybe those Ballet refugees have made their way to the backline.:)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From the headmaster of Joeys to their Parents and Carers:

Thursday 26September 2013

Dear Parents and Carers,

Over the past few days you will have read or heard of various media reports regarding the actions of a number of schools concerning GPS sport and GPS basketball in particular.

I wish to inform you, regardless of your son's participation in GPS basketball or otherwise, that I have advised the Principal of The Scots College that St. Joseph's College will not be participating in the GPS First and Second basketball fixtures against The Scots College in the forthcoming summer season.

At St Joseph’s College we participate in sport because it is considered of educative value to the boys. It is my current view this is no longer the case in these fixtures and this is the basis of my actions. Games in other grades and other sports remain unaffected.

I can also inform you that on previous occasions prior to this action I made my concerns regarding the educative value of these fixtures, and the position I was considering, known to the Principal of The Scots College.

Please accept my apologies for this intrusion into the time with your son during the school holidays.

Yours sincerely,

Mr Ross Tarlinton
Headmaster

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Great point and to digress slightly from the issue of leading academics blatently acting in contradiction of an agreed code of practice for a moment or two: do you remember when we were first allowed to "officially" lift in line outs?

A fellow coach went to the local ballet company and invited one of their number along to training to teach the fatties how to efficiently and economically lift the longfellows who were to take the lineout ball. Initially there was ridicule with all the old prejudices coming out about male dancers.
This "effiminate ponce" also introduced pilates stretching and warm ups / warm downs to the team. Ballet had been doing this stuff since whenever. Rugby warm ups/warm downs at that time normally involved beer and cigarettes. They went on to win the premiership, and had an injury count that was 1/2 the previous year, and a bunch of hitherto bigoted boofheads subscribed to the Friends of the Ballet Company.

Viva la difference.

AFL can teach us how to kick a bloody footy. It staggers me that we seem to continue to ignore this capability on our doorstep than NONE of the other IRB countries have.
Pilates is now a part of some young swimmers programs - such that they have gone from the 9 sessions a week to 5 sessions with 3-4 pilates sessions. Intuitively sounds good for growing bodies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Stop winding up IS and cyclo re Grammar's win. Seeing as you are a fan of God, how about today's quote:
"The thing to remember about assholes is, they're assholes"
You misrepresent my interest. If any school is flouting the rules, I am more than happy to see them shamed. I was trying to keep red herrings out of the discussion.
I do have a firm belief in schools being primarily institutions of education, not sporting triumphalism which might be at odds with a few people on here.
Which is not to say that downgrading sporting facilities to the point of non-competitiveness floats my boat either.
Balance is the key, and many schools seem to miss this point.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Here is another message from Dr. Lambert to Scots' Parents and Carers, referring to the untruthfulness of the accusations and other comment in the media on the matter.

Dear Parents and Carers

I have promised to keep you updated on the media interest surrounding the decision of five GPS schools not to play Scots in the coming Basketball season.

Is this important?

My primary reason for keeping in contact with you in this way is that I do not want you, as a member of our community, to hear accusations and comment in the media without hearing the truth of the matter from me first. So, although I don’t want to be continually disturbing your holiday time, I am committed to keeping you informed.

It’s just not true …

I want to reiterate that I utterly reject the accusation that Scots has imported talented students to win GPS sporting competitions. Each school has its own unique patterns of enrolment. At Scots, because of our emphasis on boarding and due to the significant expense involved, it is common for boys to join post Year 7. Some GPS schools perceive this as ‘importing’ talented players.

The independent investigator we have invited to review these allegations is currently completing his work. The final report will be delivered to me by the end of the week.

About your son …

At The Scots College we make the safety and wellbeing of your son our highest priority. We will take no course of action that compromises this. Any inference that your son is subject to ill-considered risk is simply unfounded. This applies equally to the physical, academic, social and spiritual aspects of your son’s education. The Sport Program is not an exception and never will be. Regardless of what any media report may imply, the welfare of your son is our primary concern.

Regarding Mr Tsewang …

The media has also focused on the fact that the College employs Sport Scientist Mr Tenzing Tsewang. Let me be absolutely clear about the facts. For four months during 2008, Mr Tsewang performed unpaid work experience at the Manly Sea Eagles rugby league club learning the GPS data collection system used there. This experience then led to a position with the company who supplied the system, GPSports. Other than being at the same club at the same time, no connection can be drawn to sport consultant Stephen Dank.

About the GPS …

A few days ago I was able to report to you that a number of the GPS Heads had made times available to meet with me to express their concerns in person. Unfortunately all have now cancelled our appointments. I remain confident that the processes put in place by our College will serve to resolve any perceived concerns and will lead to some very positive outcomes for future generations of boys.

Community concerns …

Yesterday a local action group has unashamedly attempted to link their concerns to the current media interest. The suggestion in their media release that The Scots College ranks student safety below a sports program is quite frankly offensive.

The group announced to the media that it plans to launch an action in the Land and Environment Court. The Scots College is disappointed by the comments, given the extensive efforts we are making to work with the community.

The Scots College has employed a team of experts to provide advice on a new school master plan, which will be available for community feedback in the near future. The process of putting together a new master plan is onerous and not to be taken lightly. Rather than rush out with an incomplete or poorly considered plan, The Scots College has chosen to take a careful and considered approach that ensures the draft plan is based on best practice planning principles.

In addition, representatives of the College have met extensively with community members, to listen to their concerns, especially in relation to traffic management. It is apparent that in relation to this group of six residents, there is almost nothing the College could do that will satisfy some of their demands – perhaps short of closing down our school.

In conclusion …

I am sure there will be more media interest over the next few days, but please be assured that The Scots College remains committed to preserving the integrity and traditions of the GPS competition. I reiterate our commitment to ensuring that we maintain ethical standards and practices consistent with our Christian foundation and values.

Over the last few days I have received many expressions of support. So many in fact, that it will be difficult to acknowledge them all personally. Thank you to you all.

Dr Ian PM Lambert
Principal

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks Lee Grant.

Wow. Can I have some?

Had a chuckle about Tenzing Tsewang learning about Manly RL use of GPS and then the next paragraph heading being "About the GPS". I was kind of expecting to read about what Tenzing learned about how Manly were using the GPS.

Mr Lambert is in a rather tricky position ATM. He has to balance keeping his parent group calm whilst fending off the other ratbags who have effectively called him dishonourable.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If he was going to mount a defence he needed to address the parent who was quoted as having been told to "suck it up" by the coaches: he can't blame the media for that unless he says they made it up in which case he should say so.
Every time I see something from this bloke I am left wondering why he went about it the way he did and without addressing the specific yarns that have emerged.
A generalized nod to the boarding tradition without tying it to the specific allegation that triggered all this looks worse, not better.
My information is that ba'ballers in question were all high profile, rep players living in Sydney - did their parents all harbour the same ambition that they board at TSC?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Thanks Lee Grant.

Wow. Can I have some?.......
Mr Lambert is in a rather tricky position ATM. He has to balance keeping his parent group calm whilst fending off the other ratbags who have effectively called him dishonourable.
He is in a tricky position,because people have stopped believing his words,and are looking at his actions.
Unfortunately for him,the two are poles apart.
In retrospect,maybe he should have provided a script for parents of talented sporting kids who categorically do not receive assistance from the School.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who is in charge of Newington? Dr Mumford?

Whatever name, regardless of the 150th rort, he is coming out of this sad (for AAGPS) situation, so far, with a High Distinction for execution, and conceded pass for effort.

For Dr Lambert: The first law of holes applies. The Law states (rather simply I might add): When you are in a hole, stop digging.

Did someone say mattrass to Mr Lambert?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If he was going to mount a defence he needed to address the parent who was quoted as having been told to "suck it up" by the coaches: he can't blame the media for that unless he says they made it up in which case he should say so.
Every time I see something from this bloke I am left wondering why he went about it the way he did and without addressing the specific yarns that have emerged.
A generalized nod to the boarding tradition without tying it to the specific allegation that triggered all this looks worse, not better.
My information is that ba'ballers in question were all high profile, rep players living in Sydney - did their parents all harbour the same ambition that they board at TSC?
I think it's safe to say that conciliation and negotiation aren't two of Dr Lambert's strong points.

Let's not forget: the others spoke to him in private about their concerns, then they wrote privately to him - he was the one who decided to put it into the public domain by writing a letter/e-mail to over 1,000 people, which is basically the equivalent of putting a paid ad in the paper. One can only assume the reason for this was to increase the pressure on the 5 - many of whom had agreed to meet with him privately. These meetings have now been cancelled and we are now effectively left with trench warfare in which neither side can give ground, lest they look in the wrong.

In terms of the support that he's received, clearly there are elements of the Scots community who support him - at the very least those who are benefitting from his sports programme, possibly some others who like the increased success in sport as well. You wouldn't think he'd get a lot of criticism from unhappy parents - if his conduct in this matter is anything to go by, he's not one who accepts criticism that well. (It's worth noting also that in his first 2 years at the school about 30-40 staff left, which is an unusually high number)

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Once-upon-a-time (2006+/-) there was a student at SGS, on scholarship, he played all his rugby in the 'A's and by 2009 was in the 16a's and rowed in the WINNING yr10 VIII, the followling year he was in the 1st IV, which also won (first time since '63) He was GUARANTEED a seat in victorious 2011 1st VIII and subsequently a HotR title (first since '78). Imagine having the opportunity to WIN every division of the GPS regatta in your three years at senior rowing! Probably the only person to ever do so. He gave up rowing in the 2010/11 season to concentrate on his studies. He was on a 1/2 music scholarship! Who is the winner?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In retrospect,maybe he should have provided a script for parents of talented sporting kids who categorically do not receive assistance from the School.
Wouldn't surprise me if he already had.

Given that almost 1 in 5 boys at TSC are on some type of assistance, I wonder what they think when they receive his correspondence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Once-upon-a-time (2006+/-) there was a student at SGS, on scholarship, he played all his rugby in the 'A's and by 2009 was in the 16a's and rowed in the WINNING yr10 VIII, the followling year he was in the 1st IV, which also won (first time since '63) He was GUARANTEED a seat in victorious 2011 1st VIII and subsequently a HotR title (first since '78). Imagine having the opportunity to WIN every division of the GPS regatta in your three years at senior rowing! Probably the only person to ever do so. He gave up rowing in the 2010/11 season to concentrate on his studies. He was on a 1/2 music scholarship! Who is the winner?

One less silly trophy thing to dust. Wise choice. Wish that boy every success in the 40-60 years in his professional/trade life he will have after school. The dust gatherer matters little. The kid clearly knows he was capable of achieving, does he need a token to confirm that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Who is in charge of Newington? Dr Mumford?

Whatever name, regardless of the 150th rort, he is coming out of this sad (for AAGPS) situation, so far, with a High Distinction for execution, and conceded pass for effort.
Dr Mulford is in charge at Newington. In addition to his own qualities, he's also had Dr Lambert to be contrasted with.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Let's not forget: the others spoke to him in private about their concerns, then they wrote privately to him - he was the one who decided to put it into the public domain by writing a letter/e-mail to over 1,000 people, which is basically the equivalent of putting a paid ad in the paper. One can only assume the reason for this was to increase the pressure on the 5 - many of whom had agreed to meet with him privately. These meetings have now been cancelled and we are now effectively left with trench warfare in which neither side can give ground, lest they look in the wrong.

My bet is the meetings were cancelled when the other heads saw the letterand concluded, not irrationally, that there would be denial of any issue and a "Sir Humphrey Appleby" inquiry.
Effectively meaning that there would be no productive end to any discussion.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Might be off the topic, but I wonder how many of these boys at the 'super power schools' go onto to play rugby once they finish Year 12, and indeed if they don't make a Super Franchise, if they EVER train anywhere near as hard again?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Might be off the topic, but I wonder how many of these boys at the 'super power schools' go onto to play rugby once they finish Year 12, and indeed if they don't make a Super Franchise, if they EVER train anywhere near as hard again?
Statistically very few. There are less than 200 professional rugby players in Australia and the GPS/CAS schools alone turn out more that 200 1st XV players each year. In other GPS sports it would be even less.

It would be interesting to look back in 5 years time to see how many of the Scots 1st and 2nd basketballers are earning a living playing basketball.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My bet is the meetings were cancelled when the other heads saw the letterand concluded, not irrationally, that there would be denial of any issue and a "Sir Humphrey Appleby" inquiry.
Effectively meaning that there would be no productive end to any discussion.
Have a look at the dispute with the local neighbours about the DA to extend the business studies centre.
''We believe the criticism now being directed at the college is deeply unfair and unreasonable, given that the school has, in effect, bent over backwards to listen and respond,'' Dr Lambert said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/educ...ighbourhood-20130914-2trj3.html#ixzz2gAvwoJHU

So the School bent over backwards by listening,how did the School respond ?
They are appealing the Council decision in the Land and Environment Court!
Rules apparently are for other,less important folk.