• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

shortballking

Herbert Moran (7)
A post from this website

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/34732-sporting-scholarships-sydney-boys-high-school/

Tim Hawkes from the Kings School leads a boycott against the Scots College last year. Nek minnit, gives the go-ahead on giving Adam Lulka from Penrith U18M1 (NSW Metro player) a full ride/scholarship.

This upcoming seasons starting 5 from Kings will probably look like this;
1. Josh Green (this is a guess) (Hills/Penrith)
2. Jayden Prakash (NSW METRO) (Hills)
3. Jay Green (NSW METRO) (Hills/Penrith)
4. Will Pearce (Hills)
5. Adam Lulka (NSW METRO) (Penrith)

These 5 kids are either:
1. The coaches sons
2. From previous associations the coach has been involved in (Hills)
3. Are part of the current association he is involved with (Penrith)

But hey, Timmy condones the idea of giving out a few scholarships/bursaries here and there, just not buying an entire team. So I guess perhaps a heavily discounted
school-fee package for the coach's two sons plus a few (3) scholarships is alright.

Fair game for other GPS schools me thinks.

couldn't agree more. Scots, Newington, Joeys, Riverview, and Kings are all as guilty as each other.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
Don't know if anyone has heard the same but apparently scots has now introduced a 1st xv of Academics of scholarship boys for each senior year. If that is the case it should help them win the HSC

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
An interesting side to the scholarship debate at TSC! Heard this week of a VERY talented homegrown Scots boy(State U16 player) whose parents informed Scots coaches that their son was NOT going to train 6 days a week for the school rugby team - he was dropped to 3rds - they wanted him to have time to study.
Puts a little perspective on the arms race I think!

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Wise decision by the parents, after all the school fees paid are an investment in education, but in turn probably a fair call to drop him if all other players are training. But 6 days a week is pretty crazy, when do they get a chance to grow, rest, have fun let alone study.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
An interesting side to the scholarship debate at TSC! Heard this week of a VERY talented homegrown Scots boy(State U16 player) whose parents informed Scots coaches that their son was NOT going to train 6 days a week for the school rugby team - he was dropped to 3rds - they wanted him to have time to study.
Puts a little perspective on the arms race I think!

I suspect its the same kid that I heard made the decision himself - and to think he could have stayed at Grammar where this is the norm.
Negotiations continue toward getting him to play 1s in light of injuries, I hear.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Wise decision by the parents, after all the school fees paid are an investment in education, but in turn probably a fair call to drop him if all other players are training. But 6 days a week is pretty crazy, when do they get a chance to grow, rest, have fun let alone study.

Par for the course in a good rowing crew

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
Par for the course in a good rowing crew

The school chased my daughter to join the rowing squad for her first 3 years of high school they finally gave up in yr 9 as basketball took over, but it was the crazy training commitment required that turned her off. To start training on a school day at 6.15am and need to leave home at 5.15am 4 days a week plus in the holidays takes its toll on kids, let them be kids it doesn't last long.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
The school chased my daughter to join the rowing squad for her first 3 years of high school they finally gave up in yr 9 as basketball took over, but it was the crazy training commitment required that turned her off. To start training on a school day at 6.15am and need to leave home at 5.15am 4 days a week plus in the holidays takes its toll on kids, let them be kids it doesn't last long.

I used to teach a a school that included rowing in its program. I knew who the rowers were - the ones asleep during class. :)
(I hope I haven't opened up myself to jokes re teaching ability!)