• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Big Marn

I count six, but I did have to count my thumb twice (other hand holding my coffee, before anyone gets smart!).
my apologies, I had discounted the one I know to be a 'regularity', but did not make that clear.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Moved from NSW GPS 2014 thread.

Does anyone with any decent knowledge of Scots know if the boys that played in the 1st XV on Saturday against Newington are long time students of the school (started in year 7, etc - not year 11 to play 1st XV for 2 years before graduating)?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ryan McCauley (4), Daniel England (10) and James Hawkins (13) all started year 10 and possibly more players

13 in year 7 or before

I can think of at least 5 who started late

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
to provide some clarity here is the is the attendance history of the Scots team that faced Newington.
1. Yr 7
2. Yr 7
3. Yr 10
4. Yr 10
5. Yr 10
6. Yr 7
7. Yr 10
8. Yr 7
9. Yr 7
10. Yr 10
11. Yr 7
12. Yr 7
13. Yr 10
14. Prep
15. Prep
I count six late attendees, one of whom I know to be the son of an old boy. As is the case with most GPS schools, Year 10 is a significant intake year. This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.
Of these scots boys only two featured in GPS 1s or 2s.

Happy to be corrected but I thought it was possible to come in at Year 7 on a bursary, particularly if they are boarders.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I count six, but I did have to count my thumb twice (other hand holding my coffee, before anyone gets smart!).

Me too but we probably had the same maths teacher.
This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.

That seems an odd explanation to me. Glengarry is (or was) the centrepiece of the Scots experience. If it is to be justified how can it be that people are permitted to skirt it so readily?
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-out-competition/story-fni0cx12-1227003526800

In regards to two Newington Old boys calling for caps on scholarships, the phrase regarding a pot commenting on a kettles colour springs to mind.

NF-J was just on 702 sprouting the same rubbish.
The first point is that it is agreed that no school in the GPS is to offer these inducements: that was reaffirmed over the basketball fiasco (and while that looks like a tautology it isn't).
The debate about having sport scholarships was therefore resolved by all schools agreeing they were not on. if they want to back track on that, fine but they should be open about doing so.
NF-J quoted the NC headmaster as justifying it because Newington had never had waiting lists: without doubt the worst reason I have ever heard if it is being called in aid to justify sporting scholarships. But NF-J has just shopped his former headmaster of his former school on an admission that NC does it.
Him Tawkes admitted doing it in the past when the press asked him.
Boys: get your stories straight and then stick to them.

T

The Big Marn

Me too but we probably had the same maths teacher.

That seems an odd explanation to me. Glengarry is (or was) the centrepiece of the Scots experience. If it is to be justified how can it be that people are permitted to skirt it so readily?

NF-J was just on 702 sprouting the same rubbish.
The first point is that it is agreed that no school in the GPS is to offer these inducements: that was reaffirmed over the basketball fiasco (and while that looks like a tautology it isn't).
The debate about having sport scholarships was therefore resolved by all schools agreeing they were not on. if they want to back track on that, fine but they should be open about doing so.
NF-J quoted the NC headmaster as justifying it because Newington had never had waiting lists: without doubt the worst reason I have ever heard if it is being called in aid to justify sporting scholarships. But NF-J jas just shopped his former headmaster on an admission that NC does it.
Him Tawkes admitted doing it in the past when the press asked him.
Boys: get your stories straight and then stick to them.

School fees during Glengarry can be upwards of $50,000. Of course, while Glengarry remains a centrepiece of Scots, it is still a very expensive centrepiece.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
to provide some clarity here is the is the attendance history of the Scots team that faced Newington.
1. Yr 7
2. Yr 7
3. Yr 10
4. Yr 10
5. Yr 10
6. Yr 7
7. Yr 10
8. Yr 7
9. Yr 7
10. Yr 10
11. Yr 7
12. Yr 7
13. Yr 10
14. Prep
15. Prep
I count six late attendees, one of whom I know to be the son of an old boy. As is the case with most GPS schools, Year 10 is a significant intake year. This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.

Thanks for this and while you make some good points, the detail that you've overlooked is that some (at least) of those Year 7 starters were targeted by TSC while in primary school rep teams. This increases the number of irregularities.

L

lone-ranger

In reply to this Glengarry looks to be a great experience but for those families that cant afford to fork out thousands of dollars for 6 months of a 15 year olds life it makes more sense to enrol them in year 10 does it not?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
School fees during Glengarry can be upwards of $50,000. Of course, while Glengarry remains a centrepiece of Scots, it is still a very expensive centrepiece.

I know - but my understanding of it is that it is thought to be essential to the development of the child into a man: if so, how can it be foregone so readily.
I think it is not correct to say that there are significant intakes in Year 10 at most or even many schools.
What can be said is that some boys come in year 10 to some schools for various reasons.
The funny thing is that the schools who have admitted to breaching the code of practice seem to be the schools at which the most kids turn up in year 10/11. From a PR perspective that's somewhat unfortunate, at best.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Another contribution from the wrong thread.

All of this talk about Scots winning 101-0 because of scholarship players is absolute rubbish, Newington had 6 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep whilst scots only had 4 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep. If Scots are all about importing individual players in order to win why are these "Superhuman scholarship holders" not selected in the representative teams? I think the Scots boys have been training hard and play well as a team, while it was a blowout it's unfair to take that away from them.

If you think about it all of the standouts from Scots (from my point of view) have been at the school since year 7 or before:

12. Angus Crichton - Yr7
15. Guy Porter - Prep
9. Theo Strang - Yr7
2. Dylan Woods - Yr7
6. Max Girdler - Yr 7
14. Max Hendrie - Prep
8. Charlie Smith - Yr 7
11. Jake Prindiville - Yr 7

Thoughts?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In reply to this Glengarry looks to be a great experience but for those families that cant afford to fork out thousands of dollars for 6 months of a 15 year olds life it makes more sense to enrol them in year 10 does it not?

Not if it is the key to attaining manhood - and if it isn't then..................

L

lone-ranger

All of this talk about Scots winning 101-0 because of scholarship players is absolute rubbish, Newington had 6 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep whilst scots only had 4 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep. If Scots are all about importing individual players in order to win why are these "Superhuman scholarship holders" not selected in the representative teams? I think the Scots boys have been training hard and play well as a team, while it was a blowout it's unfair to take that away from them.

If you think about it all of the standouts from Scots (from my point of view) have been at the school since year 7 or before:

12. Angus Crichton - Yr7
15. Guy Porter - Prep
9. Theo Strang - Yr7
2. Dylan Woods - Yr7
6. Max Girdler - Yr 7
14. Max Hendrie - Prep
8. Charlie Smith - Yr 7

Thoughts?

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Oh please QH, next you're be accusing 'em of stalking the maternity ward at Royal Women's. Better still just pick up your Australian Schoolboy five-eight after year 8 at Waverley.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

12. Angus Crichton - Yr7
15. Guy Porter - Prep
9. Theo Strang - Yr7
2. Dylan Woods - Yr7
6. Max Girdler - Yr 7
14. Max Hendrie - Prep
8. Charlie Smith - Yr 7

Thoughts?

I have it on very good authority that one of those was talent identified - that's my new euphemism.
Oh please QH, next you're be accusing 'em of stalking the maternity ward at Royal Women's. Better still just pick up your Australian Schoolboy five-eight after year 8 at Waverley.
There is simply no doubt that kids are sounded out at NSWPSSA carnival (and one I know of before Year 6). None. Not just by TSC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You're going to need a script or a bot or something to keep up HJ
Yellow card and general team warning has been issued on the GPS 2014 thread.

Posts will be summarily deleted and where appropriate posters will be warned or banned from now on (on that thread). Fairly simple.

General Note to those posters new to this thread.
There is a fair degree of latitude on this thread.

Lets keep the discussion seemly.

Don't play the man if you happen to disagree with their point of view, no matter how wrong that point of view may be. Attack the logic of the argument.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yellow card and general team warning has been issued on the GPS 2014 thread.

Posts will be summarily deleted and where appropriate posters will be warned or banned from now on (on that thread). Fairly simple.

General Note to those posters new to this thread.
There is a fair degree of latitude on this thread.

Lets keep the discussion seemly.

Don't play the man if you happen to disagree with their point of view, no matter how wrong that point of view may be. Attack the logic of the argument.

thats going to trip up some newbies - the whole demographic is covered: the Daily Telegraph are running with it and 702.
At least rugby's in the news!!
:eek:

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
So the issue is now targeting 12 year olds. Well that will effect the 'View' programme. May have to put in a pre-natal parental commitment after the boys name. Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.