• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
All of this talk about Scots winning 101-0 because of scholarship players is absolute rubbish, Newington had 6 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep whilst scots only had 4 NSW reps and 1 AUS rep. If Scots are all about importing individual players in order to win why are these "Superhuman scholarship holders" not selected in the representative teams? I think the Scots boys have been training hard and play well as a team, while it was a blowout it's unfair to take that away from them.

If you think about it all of the standouts from Scots (from my point of view) have been at the school since year 7 or before:

12. Angus Crichton - Yr7
15. Guy Porter - Prep
9. Theo Strang - Yr7
2. Dylan Woods - Yr7
6. Max Girdler - Yr 7
14. Max Hendrie - Prep
8. Charlie Smith - Yr 7
11. Jake Prindiville - Yr 7

Thoughts?
Thoughts?
One is definitely a scholarship boy!
Don't know about the others.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
to provide some clarity here is the is the attendance history of the Scots team that faced Newington.
I count six late attendees, one of whom I know to be the son of an old boy. As is the case with most GPS schools, Year 10 is a significant intake year. This is particularly pertinent at Scots due to financial burden of Year 9 (glengarry). I dare say other schools would not be too dissimilar. I can think of two St Josephs boys who entered in year 10 and featured at NSW level this year.
Of these scots boys only two featured in GPS 1s or 2s.

Interesting Info Big Marn

Son or Grandson? Or are there two?

Can you also confirm that the breakup of the team listed in last weeks program was 8 boys in year 12 and 7 in year 11.

Of the 8 year 12 boys, 4 started in year 10 2012?

Of the 7 year 11 boys, 2 started in year 10 2013?

I probably should know, however i'll defer to your greater knowledge at the coal face.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
OK - all demographic bases covered now
Screen Shot 2014-07-28 at 6.42.49 pm.png

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/nick-farr...ed-gps-sports-competition-20140728-zxnub.html

ballboy7

Frank Row (1)
I think that all this slander on Scots is far over the top! Are we all forgetting the years when Joeys went undefeated and would be putting 50+ points on every team? All GPS schools are offering sporting scholarships and it is ignorant to think otherwise! Scots are a good team with good chemistry and are drilled in an exceptional way. I dont think they should have to cop as much as they have for being good at the game we all know and love.

T

The Big Marn

I agree. But the 2nds??? Same coaches, same program, same "energy bars", same altitude chamber, same "milkshakes"..

I think it's pretty unfair of you to attack the boys for being on an illicit supplement programme, with literally no evidence. At least, that's how your comment reads.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
! Are we all forgetting the years when Joeys went undefeated and would be putting 50+ points on every team? All GPS schools are offering sporting scholarships and it is ignorant to think otherwise! Scots are a good team with good chemistry and are drilled in an exceptional way. I dont think they should have to cop as much as they have for being good at the game we all know and love.

Could you list those years please?
No they're not. And if Shore do have talent identified kids then they should sack their recruiters

T

The Big Marn

Hypocritical of Nick, considering the size of the New team last year. Don't think anyone in the Scots team was nearly as close to the size of Tepai or Taane last year, they were just better drilled.

Consider this: last year Guy Porter was marking Tepai and two weeks ago, Tepai was being marked by Sam Burgess, one of the NRL's best forwards. Go figure.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Oh please QH, next you're be accusing 'em of stalking the maternity ward at Royal Women's. Better still just pick up your Australian Schoolboy five-eight after year 8 at Waverley.

You may not like the facts, but PSSA rep players were targeted (including members of the Newport P/S Palmer Shield winning team) and some accepted scholarships/bursaries at TSC. One of the boys listed by lone-ranger as starting in Year 7 had 2 older siblings attend an indepedent catholic school (with an excellent rugby programme) and the boy in question was about to start there, but suddenly decided to travel from Newport to Bellevue Hill. Quite normal for catholic boys at Newport to aspire to attend Scots.;)

I'm not quite sure what your point is about Australian schoolboy 5/8 from Waverley, I assume that you have one. Do tell us where this player ended up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hypocritical of Nick, considering the size of the New team last year. Don't think anyone in the Scots team was nearly as close to the size of Tepai or Taane last year, they were just better drilled.

Consider this: last year Guy Porter was marking Taane and two weeks ago he was being marked by Sam Burgess, one of the NRL's best forwards. Go figure.

Go figure what?
Any school team can be improved by good recruitment based solely on rugby ability.
And if you want a comp like that go set it up: so far as anyone can tell there's no ban on scholarships in CAS - how come they don't feel the need to go out and ruin their competition? Do their old boys and parents feel adequate?

T

The Big Marn

I think the point about Scots 'poaching' primary players to join the school is also perhaps not so poignant. It takes a lot of coaching effort to take a player from the 13As all the way to the 1st XV and indeed to future representative teams. Not trying to excuse it, but credit where credit's due.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think the point about Scots 'poaching' primary players to join the school is also perhaps not so poignant. It takes a lot of coaching effort to take a player from the 13As all the way to the 1st XV and indeed to future representative teams. Not trying to excuse it, but credit where credit's due.

It's a school.
12 year olds are not cannon fodder to make up for missed premierships in someone else's life.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)

Consider this: last year Guy Porter was marking Tepai and two weeks ago, Tepai was being marked by Sam Burgess, one of the NRL's best forwards. Go figure.
Scots answer to tepai. Move their Aussie schoolboy no. 8 into the centres in case someone else tries the same this year. That won't put worry the other schools equivalent to porter will it? Betcha his oldies haven't being paying full freight since year 7. Does it matter whether there is one scholarship student or 15? It is a breech of the code.

T

The Big Marn

It's a school.
12 year olds are not cannon fodder to make up for missed premierships in someone else's life.

Gee play the world's smallest violin, to clarify, I am not saying that an institution such as Scots should be set solely for rugby premiership ambitions. However, I am saying that there is a huge difference in brining in a player in year 11 to year 7.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

If anything demonstrated how out of touch the NSWRU is, then it's this article. CHS schools are going to compete against Scots?:confused: Non-sports highs can't even compete in the Waratah Shield, Scots beat the top CAS side by 50. Just who is going to play in this competition? The Newington team which just conceded 100 points would easily defeat most CHS schools and beat CAS school Trinity comfortably. This is cloud cuckoo land stuff.o_O

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

I think that all this slander on Scots is far over the top! Are we all forgetting the years when Joeys went undefeated and would be putting 50+ points on every team? All GPS schools are offering sporting scholarships and it is ignorant to think otherwise! Scots are a good team with good chemistry and are drilled in an exceptional way. I dont think they should have to cop as much as they have for being good at the game we all know and love.

I have to agree with ballboy7 on this one. Having followed scots for the last 6 or 7 years I have seen a transition in the way the entire school trains and play. The scots 1st XV have been playing pods for years and it is simply a cohort of talented athletes that have lifted the school from a mid-table finished to competition leaders. The turnover of coaches from under qualified school teachers to properly qualified coaches has been at the core of the Scots rugby revolution, not the proposed imports on sporting scholarships. There is now a style of play and a culture of success from the 13f's to the 1st XV. This is those Scots boys year year, they have worked hard and deserve to be rewarded appropriately. The fact the school doesnt have a history of sporting success doesnt mean it cant have a future.

T

The Big Marn

Scots answer to tepai. Move their Aussie schoolboy no. 8 into the centres in case someone else tries the same this year. That won't put worry the other schools equivalent to porter will it? Betcha his oldies haven't being paying full freight since year 7. Does it matter whether there is one scholarship student or 15? It is a breech of the code.

Crichton's move into the backs was purely due to an abundance of capable forwards that couldn't be left out, I feel.

T

The Big Marn

I'd also be curious to know what everyone's supposed 'solution' is to the importing fiasco? I feel that by boycotting Scots, you are punishing the boys. The 'irregularities' as you have branded them, are not at fault and it is not befitting that they are not able to play something they love. Is it simply a matter of waiting for them to finish and enforcing stricter recruitment bans?

Status
Not open for further replies.