• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
From memory Tabuatamata was injured in the first game of the season, missing most of the rest of the season, and his replacement was Christian Yassmin. So it appears your guy was third in line.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
someone .. with half a rugby brain .. from a school in desperate need of irregularities . lets say Shore . should go and "check out" that Blacktown under 15As . Scorpions

bring the cheque book .

. start with their captain number 8 .. assuming he isn't already signed to an NRL club. then the winger

those 2 alone would get the Shore Mums talking, and have Jika doing a happy jig in heaven
you'd have to the give those kids floppy haircuts and boatshoes first

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
From memory Tabuatamata was injured in the first game of the season, missing most of the rest of the season, and his replacement was Christian Yassmin. So it appears your guy was third in line.

The guy I met was a prop

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Was it Tabuatamata?

If he did claim an indigenous scholarship and he non-indigenous someone should be charged with fraud . Obtain benefit by deception and there is no statute of limitations on that offence . The indigenous scholarships there for koori kids and should not be given out as schools see fit to prop up their rugby teams.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If we are going to talk team number in rugby as opposed to soccer by school, we should at least try to establish the relative numbers beforehand.

From my research the numbers go something like:

Legend Total(Open/16/15/14/13)

Joeys
Rugby 41(13/7/7/6/8)
Soccer 16 (5/3/3/3/2)

Riverview
unable to find accurate numbers

Scots
Rugby 30(7/6/3/8/6)
Soccer 24 (9/3/2/5/5)

Kings
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Shore
Rugby 30(8/5/5/5/7)
Soccer 27(8/4/5/5/5)

Newington
Rugby 22(6/2/4/5/5)
Soccer 36(9/6/6/7/8)

Grammar
Rugby 13(3/2/2/3/3)
Soccer 36(8/6/6/8/8)

High
Rugby 10(2/2/2/2/2)
Soccer 33(10/5/6/6/6)

Armidale

Whatever you want to say about the Doctor's methods and motivations, he has increased the numbers playing rugby at Scots.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Looking at JoeysRugby Twitter & http://www.riverview.nsw.edu.au/sports-fixtures/, it seems that the figures for Riverview are:

Riverview
Rugby 35 (9/6/7/6/7)
Soccer 27 (8/5/5/4/5)
Aust Rules 2

It may be obvious but remember that a Soccer game only requires 11 players per team, so a strict team numbers per age group comparison may not reflect player numbers in the sports.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^True, but soccer has significant numbers everywhere and seems to be growing at every school - even the number 3 field at Joeys now has combined rugby/soccer posts and I was greeted by the sight of a soccer match in progress when I arrived on Saturday.

Even factoring in less players per team and not being sure how many (if any) fresh reserves are carried, it seems to me that there are now more soccer players than rugby players at 4 schools (K, N, G, H) and more rugby players at the other 4 (J, I, S, E). When you also factor in that Shore now have 2 Aussie Rules teams (13s and 14s), it's even about 50/50 rugby/non rugby there.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If we are going to talk team number in rugby as opposed to soccer by school, we should at least try to establish the relative numbers beforehand.

Joeys
Rugby 41(13/7/7/6/8)
Soccer 16 (5/3/3/3/2)

Riverview

Scots
Rugby 30(7/6/3/8/6)
Soccer 24 (9/3/2/5/5)

Kings
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Shore
Rugby 30(8/5/5/5/7)
Soccer 27(8/4/5/5/5)

Newington
Rugby 22(6/2/4/5/5)
Soccer 36(9/6/6/7/8)

Grammar
Rugby 13(3/2/2/3/3)
Soccer 36(8/6/6/8/8)

High
Rugby 10(2/2/2/2/2)
Soccer 33(10/5/6/6/6)

Armidale

Whatever you want to say about the Doctor's methods and motivations, he has increased the numbers playing rugby at Scots.

IN 15s Grammar As played JOeys D's last Saturday.
I assumed that was because Kings could not field a D team.
Any insights?
If that is the reason it is a very big worry for rugby, even at this end of the season when injuries may well have denuded an age group which is reasonably prone to getting injured.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For the third or maybe fourth year in a row Kings have had more soccer teams in 13s than rugby. No-one seems to have noticed, but they've now reached the point where opens in the only division where there are more rugby teams.

I suspect there's a few factors at play - less country boarders, changing demographic (even at Kings the anglo-saxon masses are in decline) and increased focus on the academic.

EDIT: And of course the title of this thread plays its part in making rugby not quite as attractive to the participant/non-fanatical category of student.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
If he did claim an indigenous scholarship and he non-indigenous someone should be charged with fraud . Obtain benefit by deception and there is no statute of limitations on that offence . The indigenous scholarships there for koori kids and should not be given out as schools see fit to prop up their rugby teams.

Only Koori? that's pretty narrow I would have thought Nyunga Murri Yolngu and Palawa kids would be worthy as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...in addition he claimed his position in the 2013 1st XV was taken by a Fijian boy who attended the school under the Indigenous scholarship program. Does anyone recall this player?

again, can this claim be confirmed or denied.

Your lad probably features here

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Joeys
Rugby 41(13/7/7/6/8)
Soccer 16 (5/3/3/3/2)

Riverview

Scots
Rugby 30(7/6/3/8/6)
Soccer 24 (9/3/2/5/5)

Kings
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Shore
Rugby 30(8/5/5/5/7)
Soccer 27(8/4/5/5/5)

Newington
Rugby 22(6/2/4/5/5)
Soccer 36(9/6/6/7/8)

Grammar
Rugby 13(3/2/2/3/3)
Soccer 36(8/6/6/8/8)

High
Rugby 10(2/2/2/2/2)
Soccer 33(10/5/6/6/6)

Armidale

So at High you have a 50/50 chance of playing in 1sts?

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Joeys
Rugby 41(13/7/7/6/8)
Soccer 16 (5/3/3/3/2)

Riverview

Scots
Rugby 30(7/6/3/8/6)
Soccer 24 (9/3/2/5/5)

Kings
Rugby 29(10/4/5/4/6)
Soccer 37 (9/6/7/6/9)

Shore
Rugby 30(8/5/5/5/7)
Soccer 27(8/4/5/5/5)

Newington
Rugby 22(6/2/4/5/5)
Soccer 36(9/6/6/7/8)

Grammar
Rugby 13(3/2/2/3/3)
Soccer 36(8/6/6/8/8)

High
Rugby 10(2/2/2/2/2)
Soccer 33(10/5/6/6/6)

Armidale

A quick glance also suggests boarder numbers have a part to play (assuming the boarders are country boarders). The three schools with the lowest number of boarders (New only has 50 and SGS and SBHS none) have the least number of rugby teams and the schools with the highest number of boarders Joeys and Riverview (which are presumably country boarders) also have the highest number of Rugby teams. The demographic at King's looks to be going the way of SGS and SBHS. Out of interest has TKS or New or Scots (the three schools which appear to be the most ethnically diverse of the Big 6) featured any star players not from Islander/Aboriginal descent? I'm mixed race myself and when I was at New nearly everyone played rugby no matter what ethnic background.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
TKS seem to have vacancies for boarders, certainly in Year 7 and I understand that it is easy to leave your kids in the Scots boarding house for a few weeks if a mid term break appeals to the parents - I've ferried kids around for that reason.
Grammar closed its boarding house in the mid 70s coinciding with the beginning of its decline in rugby.
So if there is (and I think there is) a connection between boarders and rugby more may be struggling for numbers in future.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So at High you have a 50/50 chance of playing in 1sts?

If you get to the rugby cohort that is. Although, you would have slightly less than a 25% chance of even being in the rugby cohort, so a Year 11/12 student would have approximately an 11% chance of playing IstXV.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A quick glance also suggests boarder numbers have a part to play (assuming the boarders are country boarders). The three schools with the lowest number of boarders (New only has 50 and SGS and SBHS none) have the least number of rugby teams and the schools with the highest number of boarders Joeys and Riverview (which are presumably country boarders) also have the highest number of Rugby teams. The demographic at King's looks to be going the way of SGS and SBHS. Out of interest has TKS or New or Scots (the three schools which appear to be the most ethnically diverse of the Big 6) featured any star players not from Islander/Aboriginal descent? I'm mixed race myself and when I was at New nearly everyone played rugby no matter what ethnic background.

There probably is a correlation - one of the advantages of a large boarding contingent is that going to the gym or engaging in some form of training is probably more attractive that most other options available.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Only Koori? that's pretty narrow I would have thought Nyunga Murri Yolngu and Palawa kids would be worthy as well.

Got nothing to do with being 'narrow'. There is only a very limited number of indigenous scholarships at these Nsw schools ! So let's look after our own, as in nsw koori kids, not Qld 'Murri' or Tasmania 'palawa'

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There probably is a correlation - one of the advantages of a large boarding contingent is that going to the gym or engaging in some form of training is probably more attractive that most other options available.
But interestingly Shore and Riverview are performing very differently. I would have thought given Shore's natural catchment area of Mosman for day boys and country NSW for boarders it would be performing comparably to Riverview (which doesn't appear to give out Rugby scholarships either and would presumably have the same enrolment demographic )

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
But interestingly Shore and Riverview are performing very differently. I would have thought given Shore's natural catchment area of Mosman for day boys and country NSW for boarders it would be performing comparably to Riverview (which doesn't appear to give out Rugby scholarships either and would presumably have the same enrolment demographic )

I suspect that one of the issues at Shore is that the intake is almost exclusively sons and grandsons of old boys, so there's a bit of a closed gene pool and a very academically focussed one. Also I suspect that while much of their demographic might be rugby supporters, they don't all seem to be rugby participants. I'd reckon you'd find a lot of the soccer playing boys at Wallabies and Waratahs matches, but not many at Sydney FC or WSW matches.

Maybe mumsie doesn't like the idea of little Hamish being set upon by ruffians on the rugby field?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I suspect that one of the issues at Shore is that the intake is almost exclusively sons and grandsons of old boys, so there's a bit of a closed gene pool and a very academically focussed one. Also I suspect that while much of their demographic might be rugby supporters, they don't all seem to be rugby participants. I'd reckon you'd find a lot of the soccer playing boys at Wallabies and Waratahs matches, but not many at Sydney FC or WSW matches.

Maybe mumsie doesn't like the idea of little Hamish being set upon by ruffians on the rugby field?
Don't old boys from the other schools send their sons to the same school as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.