• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Given this is almost the Scots thread, I thought I would ask the question, what happens to these scholarship kids, in relation to all the extra costs?

for instance back in my day maybe you toured the gold coast, and that cost might have been $1,000

whereas I gather in 2016, Year 7/ 8 $cots have an end of year Japanese rugby tour and it is a costing something like $6,000 per child

hopefully the good Doctor picks up the tab on the extras?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Given this is almost the Scots thread, I thought I would ask the question, what happens to these scholarship kids, in relation to all the extra costs?

for instance back in my day maybe you toured the gold coast, and that cost might have been $1,000

whereas I gather in 2016, Year 7/ 8 $cots have an end of year Japanese rugby tour and it is a costing something like $6,000 per child

Last year (2014) the 1sts went to South Africa.

If nothing else, the doctor does nothing by half.

Although, from what people tell me the folk up at Knox could soon feature prominently in this thread (and not just for rugby).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

It will probably be on a case-by-case basis. Non scholarship rugby players pay full freight minus the fundraising that will go on. Scholarship holders with well to do parents will pay the same as the non-scholarship boys. All those in need, scholarship holders or not, will be quietly spoken to to pay as much as they can and the school will cover the rest.
Before you guffaw too much, yes, there will be a small number for whom an overseas sporting trip will cause hardship at home.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
It will probably be on a case-by-case basis. Non scholarship rugby players pay full freight minus the fundraising that will go on. Scholarship holders with well to do parents will pay the same as the non-scholarship boys. All those in need, scholarship holders or not, will be quietly spoken to to pay as much as they can and the school will cover the rest.
Before you guffaw too much, yes, there will be a small number for whom an overseas sporting trip will cause hardship at home.

....and Kings are about to head off on their tour of England and Italy. Partly funded by the generosity of the Kings Rugby Club...with the remainder funded by Human ATM's, AKA Parents...... no free rides!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You know this, or are just having a punt?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Chip kick with high probability of success; ah, 'tis a rare beast.

And wonderful to behold when done with skill and precision outside your own 22.
I don't think there would be one GPS school which would let a decent rugby player miss out on the trip of a lifetime. Scholarships aside, schools have many options available to them to help all players, from additional contributions from the school rugby community to extended payment terms. TSC is no different. They have the ability to find a way to get all players on the plane.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
..and Kings are about to head off on their tour of England and Italy. Partly funded by the generosity of the Kings Rugby Club.with the remainder funded by Human ATM's, AKA Parents.. no free rides!

Azzuri, can you give us an update on how the boys are going on this tour?

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
And wonderful to behold when done with skill and precision outside your own 22.
I don't think there would be one GPS school which would let a decent rugby player miss out on the trip of a lifetime. Scholarships aside, schools have many options available to them to help all players, from additional contributions from the school rugby community to extended payment terms. TSC is no different. They have the ability to find a way to get all players on the plane.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
former flanker unfortunately in TSC case that could not care a rats about particular kids. its about their brand and overall results. Its a events management company where the kids are locked into a school costing 48k in year 7 as they are in a parents competition to ensure there kids are up there with the best.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
former flanker unfortunately in TSC case that could not care a rats about particular kids. its about their brand and overall results. Its a events management company where the kids are locked into a school costing 48k in year 7 as they are in a parents competition to ensure there kids are up there with the best.
If you're going to try and make a point, it would carry more weight if you stuck to actual facts, I would guess. I doubt very much that the real figure is close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.