• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The 2017 and 2018 Year 12 cohorts haven't been the most successful in most sports since they started in Year 7. The 2017 15s and 16s age groups were quite strong and this looks good for the years beyond. the 2017 14s are weak in most sports, while the 2017 13s age group have barely lost a game in any sport.
Thanks Quick Hands,it would appear that you Inside Shoulder and myself believe that some of the parental fossils at Shore could be in for a Culture Shock in the School's new Rugby Program.

T

The Green Grocer

The 2017 and 2018 Year 12 cohorts haven't been the most successful in most sports since they started in Year 7. The 2017 15s and 16s age groups were quite strong and this looks good for the years beyond. the 2017 14s are weak in most sports, while the 2017 13s age group have barely lost a game in any sport.

In 2013 the 2017 and 2018 cohorts won the 13As Rugby, the Junior Aths, the Water Polo, unsure about Cricket and Basketball The 13As of 2013 would give the current the 13A a sound beating

Perhaps other avenues should explored rather than blaming a weak year group?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
In 2013 the 2017 and 2018 cohorts won the 13As Rugby, the Junior Aths, the Water Polo, unsure about Cricket and Basketball The 13As of 2013 would give the current the 13A a sound beating

Perhaps other avenues should explored rather than blaming a weak year group?

The 13As of 2013 were indeed a good team, but the 13As of 2017 I believe were an exceptionally talented team. The 2017 cohort also had the benefit of age group depth going down to Gs. Amongst these teams there were strong performance at all levels. The 13s of 2013 didn't have this depth. A problem that plagued them right up to the 16s. I remember seeing at Stamore in 2016, Scots very dominant over New from the Ds up to Bs. However, Newington really put it on the Scots 16As in the first half and led 26 or 31-0 to nil. However, A strong Scots fightback even out the score to 43-29. A great game.

The age group that concerns me is our current U/14s who although successful against all CAS and ISA teams. They failed to reproduce this form in the GPS season. Although, I would not reject an infusion of talent from the neighbouring league clubs, a better solution would be to reintroduce the two round GPS competition again.

As the 13As of 2016 had a poor first round, but rallied in the second round. With wins over Joeys 28-7 and Scots 42-0. This option was not available in 2017.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Indeed B&W> I did observe on the GPS 2017 thread that Shore 15As refused to play Newington at Shore in the GPS round, apparently because New bet them by 50 in the trial and safety issues were raised. I did raise a chuckle when on the day I noticed that Shore 15As played a game against Cranbrook 15As and beat them by about 50. It seems that winning by 50 is ok, but losing by 50 presents a safety issue. (winking and smiling emoticons would be placed here)

Jeez that’s soft

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
I hear that a very good rower and a very good rugby 2nd row/backrow are leaving St Augs to commence in Year 11 at Shore next year.

Apparently neither have ever been on the legendary Shore waiting list. Also unlikely that either have won an academic scholarship, and neither play a musical instrument.

Interesting.

Good to hear Shore have joined the chase. Now we dont have to fret about another member school being eventually consigned to un-competitive status. With at least 6 of the 9 schools now making places for talented sportsmen, time for the Heads to drop the pretend agreements on who/when/how assistance can be given to talented sportsmen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Good to hear Shore have joined the chase. Now we dont have to fret about another member school being eventually consigned to un-competitive status. With at least 6 of the 9 schools now making places for talented sportsmen, time for the Heads to drop the pretend agreements on who/when/how assistance can be given to talented sportsmen.

the agreement is not pretend - adherence to it is. Funny how the church schools don't consider themselves morally bound by the promises they make.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Let's get really fair dinkum,and bring in a salary cap.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)

It's existed for years in the QLD GPS and has improved their Schoolboy Rugby, whereby schools with small Rugby Numbers ( State High & Ipswich Grammar) in terms of teams can compete against the larger schools such as Nudgee, Gregory Terrace and Churchie at least in the A teams and as well as the 1st XV.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
the agreement is not pretend - adherence to it is. Funny how the church schools don't consider themselves morally bound by the promises they make.

Status, student enrolments and parental expectations as well their support, will be the main determinants, rather than any gentlemen's agreement.82% of parent's in a survey at Newington, expect nothing less than a high quality sports program. Together with the school's scholarship program, that is expected to offer at least 100 full scholarships, to boys of Holistic merit the issue with be simply side step.

Further, the new CEO of Rugby Australia with her background in league, I believe is likely to be more supportive of bring schoolboy league talent into our Rugby Schools. Again, its already well established policy in Queensland, the difference will be we can expect to keep them in Rugby now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Status, student enrolments and parental expectations as well their support, will be the main determinants, rather than any gentlemen's.82% of parent's in a survey at Newington expect nothing less than a high quality sports program. Together with the school's scholarship program, that is expected to offer at least 100 full scholarships to boys of Holistic merit the issue with be simply side step.

Further, the new CEO of Rugby Australia with her background in league, I believe is likely to be more supportive of bring schoolboy league talent into our Rugby Schools. Again, its already well established policy in Queensland, the difference will be we can expect to keep them in Rugby now.

I'm not sure how we keep league talents in rugby all of a sudden. They don't in Qld - they play First XV and maybe Rep then bugger off to the NRL. How does that actually grow anything other than egos at select schools in select years? It's a fools' paradise. At the more junior level, the money just cannot compare. I don't think Castle has access to a secret stash of millions to out-bid NRL teams, where the capacity did not exist previously. I think you are extrapolating way too much from her appointment.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I'm not sure how we keep league talents in rugby all of a sudden. They don't in Qld - they play First XV and maybe Rep then bugger off to the NRL. How does that actually grow anything other than egos at select schools in select years? It's a fools' paradise. At the more junior level, the money just cannot compare. I don't think Castle has access to a secret stash of millions to out-bid NRL teams, where the capacity did not exist previously. I think you are extrapolating way too much from her appointment.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the present situation, my hope is more of a long-term change. Rugby Australia and the Super Clubs need to pay more attention to the grassroots or they won't have a game in the near future. Hopefully, she will pay more attention in this matter, than the previous CEO. Time will tell.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
82% of parent's in a survey at Newington, expect nothing less than a high quality sports program. ]
The other 18% must be easily pleased. of course one way for parents to achieve this "high quality sports program" (an undefined term of uncertain meaning) would be for parents themselves to be better at sport and to pass o the ability to their children - perhaps reproduction should be done on a talent identification basis too

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Huh?
I thought a high quality sports program was one that turned my bumbling 12 or 13yo into a well drilled, fit sportsman with a good understanding of the games he is playing.
When all along, it's got no benefit to my Algernon at all, apart from bragging rights when he sits in the stands watching a bunch of mercenaries performing in his School colours.
Go figure.....

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The other 18% must be easily pleased. of course one way for parents to achieve this "high quality sports program" (an undefined term of uncertain meaning) would be for parents themselves to be better at sport and to pass o the ability to their children - perhaps reproduction should be done on a talent identification basis too

Improving the Human gene pool, a Brave New World. Genetic Engineering could raise issues of a level playing field in decades to come. If we ban drugs that enhance the performance of Athletes, should we ban individuals who are genetically enhanced. Children of God and Nature versus Children of Science.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Improving the Human gene pool, a Brave New World. Genetic Engineering could raise issues of a level playing field in decades to come. If we ban drugs that enhance the performance of Athletes, should we ban individuals who are genetically enhanced. Children of God and Nature versus Children of Science.
No engineering required,merely control the old boys so they only breed with acceptably talented sports women. Those in 3rds or Cs and below can be sterilised.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Huh?
I thought a high quality sports program was one that turned my bumbling 12 or 13yo into a well drilled, fit sportsman with a good understanding of the games he is playing.
When all along, it's got no benefit to my Algernon at all, apart from bragging rights when he sits in the stands watching a bunch of mercenaries performing in his School colours.
Go figure...

Mercenaries? Boys selected on overall merit are hardly Mercenaries, if a school such as Newington has a socially progressive policy, this reflects its policy of inclusion. I refer you to my post 6632.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mercenaries? Boys selected on overall merit are hardly Mercenaries, if a school such as Newington has a socially progressive policy, this reflects its policy of inclusion. I refer you to my post 6632.
Crock of shit.
They actively recruit outstanding athletes, which is totally different to advertising, and selecting from the pool of applicants, after assessing their personal qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.