• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Red

Herbert Moran (7)
In today's North Shore Times, there is an advert seeking applications at Shore for Year 11 places in 2018. It reads "Positions will be offered to those who are considered to provide the greatest contribution to both the academic and co-curricular life of the School". Whilst this does not suggest scholarships are on offer, perhaps this is an indication of Shore "keeping up with the times"!

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
In today's North Shore Times, there is an advert seeking applications at Shore for Year 11 places in 2018. It reads "Positions will be offered to those who are considered to provide the greatest contribution to both the academic and co-curricular life of the School". Whilst this does not suggest scholarships are on offer, perhaps this is an indication of Shore "keeping up with the times"!

Possibly not scholarship as headmasters now have gentlemen's agreement to not have any "enrolment irregularities" post year 9.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
News from Bathurst

Someways back there was some discussion on the ownership of All Saints Bathurst. Apparently the 1st preference buyer fell through.

Presbyterian Church of NSW buys All Saints' College

Thursday, August 31, 2017
Announcement to
The Scots School Community
29 August 2017

On behalf of the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church of Australia in NSW, we are very pleased to announce that the Bishop in Council and the All Saints’ College Council have accepted our offer under an Expression of Interest to purchase All Saints’ College.

The opportunity to bring together two leading Protestant schools in Bathurst as one is an aspiration that many individuals in our two churches and our two school communities have prayed about for a long time.

The Trustees of the Presbyterian Church are privileged to be provided with this opportunity by the Bishop in Council and the All Saints’ College Council. We wish to assure The Scots School community, and the school community at All Saints’ College, of our desire to combine the best of our two schools together into one school that glorifies God, and in which present and future generations of students will be proud.

The Trustees and the Board of The Scots School Bathurst believe this will benefit the students, staff and parents of both schools and expand the educational opportunities in the City of Bathurst.

While we will be working through a due diligence process over the next few weeks, we wish to provide the following assurances to the parents and staff of both schools:

1. We are committed to the continuity of education and the staffing structures of both schools for 2018. Parents of current Year 10 and Year 11 students can be assured of the continuity of their children’s subject choices for the HSC without change.

2. The student leadership of both schools will not change in 2018.

3. We will form a working group with representatives from both schools to develop a change management plan for 2019 and following years. This will include review of the name of the combined school, structure, and a myriad of other decisions that will naturally arise from the bringing together of two schools.

4. Although we cannot promise, our strong preference is to maintain and operate two campuses for current and future generations of students, and the purchase of All Saints will not require the sale of any property.

While this announcement may cause some parents, students and staff, some anxiety in the immediate short term, we wish to assure you of our considered approach to the governance and combined structure of the two schools. We will not be rushing into decisions, but will be seeking to facilitate a close working relationship involving representatives from both the school communities as we plan for the future.

We believe the merger of two respected schools in Bathurst will provide students with a wider choice of subjects and co-curricular opportunities at every level of their education and will provide students of both schools with enhanced opportunities to develop their interests and character.

The coming together of the two schools will show that Bathurst, as a leading regional city in NSW, will be well served by its schools in the State, Roman Catholic and Protestant sectors. This should give present and prospective parents of students the assurance that their children will be educated in a way that suits their abilities and develops their potential.

We expect that the purchase process will be conducted professionally and speedily over the next few weeks.

Again, on behalf of the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church of Australia in NSW, and The Scots School Bathurst Board, we wish to assure all staff, parents and students of our commitment to the education of our students to the highest standards, within a Christian worldview.

Jeoffrey (Jeof) Falls
General Manager
Presbyterian Church (NSW)
Property Trust

Adrian Lamrock
Board Chairman
The Scots School

David Gates
Headmaster
The Scots School Bathurst
Trackbacks (0) | Permalink

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
As an ex student of one of those two schools, I hope that the traditions and history do not disappear entirely.

I remember playing rugby in winter in snow, hail, fog and thick frost.

Was a baptism of fire for someone that grew up playing the round all game!

Gabriel AOTC

Frank Row (1)
PUT IT IN THE BANK: Southern Districts Colts are three weeks into the Pre-Christmas program with solid numbers putting in some great efforts between the Gym and the Pitch - The training has been well organised and is focused on developing skills, knowledge and strength while bonding as a playing group.

Head Strength & Conditioning Guru KLINTON HOARE has returned from Rugby League World Cup duties and is working intensely with the Colts group to ensure all players have every opportunity to adopt a professional standard fitness program.

GET TO TRAINING: Tuesday and Thursday from 6.15pm at Forshaw Rugby Park - Colts and Grade together - Come and put some sweat in the bank for 2018...

SOUTH COLTS REPS: Congratulations to the Colts who have been selected for NSW Gen Blue and Australia U20's camp at the AIS in Canberra:

* NSW Gen Blue: Bayley Kunzle, Cooper Harris, Jordan Morris, Nathan Lawson, Ryan Longville and James Wayland
* Australian U20's: Bayley Kuenzie, Cooper Harris, Jordan Morris and Sama Malolo.
* Welcome back to Sama Malolo from playing in Perth with the Force development and Perth Spirit NRC.

TRAINING GEAR: The new Colts training kit has arrived and will be handed out over the coming training sessions.

Making it possible is a big contribution from the Sponsors - THANKS!

* Ashcroft Packaging: http://www.ashcroftpackaging.com.au
* O’Connor Electrical
* Strictly Plumbing
* Fifes Stockfeed

2018 COLTS TRIALS: The rubber hits the road - time to find out just how good we really are...

* Sat 3rd March v Bowral @ Bowral COLTS ONLY - Bus Trip
* Sat 10 March v Gordon @ Redmond, Brighton-le-Sands
* Sat 17 March v Illawarriors @ Campbelltown Showground
* Sat 24 March v West Harbour @ Redmond, Brighton-le-Sands

UK DEVELOPMENT TOUR: A once in a lifetime Rugby experience - December 2018 vs Northampton Saints, Bristol and Bath Academies and the Driffield RFC Seniors

UOW SCHOLARSHIPS: University of Wollongong have eight Scholarships available for School Leavers who join Souths Colts - get in touch ASAP, these won't last!

COACHES & MANAGERS: We are still looking for talented Coaches and Managers to join the Colts Club in 2018 - Get involved with a great team at Souths Colts

REBELS MUSTER: Southern Districts has several Colts and Grade players joining the club from NSW Country, Interstate and Overseas in 2018 and need a hand from the Rebels community with the following:

* Accommodation - A spare room that the guest players can lodge in over the season - They will be working and can pay board - All professional athletes and well behaved

* Furniture - An old Fridge, Washing Machine, Couch, BBQ, Bed, TV or Microwave for the Souths Rugby Academy can go a long way to make the players comfortable

* Jobs - All the lads can work when they are not training or playing so if your business needs a very capable hand then get in touch

* Clobber - With limited luggage some snappy hand me down threads for the Disco on Saturday Night or Church on Sunday is greatly appreciated.

CONTACT - From information or enquiries on any of the above contact - Keith Holmes: keith@keithholmes.com.au

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Possibly not scholarship as headmasters now have gentlemen's agreement to not have any "enrolment irregularities" post year 9.

Unlikely it will amount to anything, as schools will have differing interpretations as to what amounts to a gentleman's agreement. Besides, recruitment is often merit base, such as the Newington Tongan Scholarships that come into effect in year 10. These scholarships are for good all rounders, that also includes their Christian faith. Currently, Newington is placing great emphasis on making the School, more accessible and more inclusive as part of its belief to benefit all boys of all backgrounds.

This is fundamental to Newington's faith background, that was originally, Wesleyan and Methodist in its foundations. Hence, if a boy of merit can benefit from an education at Newington, then he should not be excluded because of school fees.

Such a view also reflects the egalitarian nature of the school that saw the abolishment of a selective prefect system in favour of all Year 12 students becoming prefects. Such an outlook is the essence of Newington as a educational institution.

So its unlikely that a good all rounder not just at Newington, but also I suspect at Joeys,and numerous other schools are not going to barred, just because they are also a good rugby player. Particularly, as there is a strong correlation between high achievers in scholarship and then sport. Usually, characterised by self-discpline,personal organisation, personal drive to achieve to a high standard. The "Renaissance Man" will be the ultimate beneficiary in this matter.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I hear that a very good rower and a very good rugby 2nd row/backrow are leaving St Augs to commence in Year 11 at Shore next year.

Apparently neither have ever been on the legendary Shore waiting list. Also unlikely that either have won an academic scholarship, and neither play a musical instrument.

Interesting.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

See post #6633

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I suppose we’ll see how much the old boys desire a credible rugby performance when one of their Wills/Jacks/Andrews misses the A’s/1st yr 8 quad for a ring in.particularly one from a northern beaches catholic college. The horror, the horror, the horror.
Could you imagine their horror, if they started recruiting boys from Western Sydney. Particularly if such boys are chosen on the basis of merit and ability, as Newington does reflecting its School Policy. In this matter, such young men will benefit from an inclusive and diverse educational culture. Reactions could resemble the Bridge on board the Enterprise, from Star Trek. "Its Life Jim, but not as we know it."

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hear that a very good rower and a very good rugby 2nd row/backrow are leaving St Augs to commence in Year 11 at Shore next year.

Apparently neither have ever been on the legendary Shore waiting list. Also unlikely that either have won an academic scholarship, and neither play a musical instrument.

Interesting.
I wouldn't have thought there was any need to import a rower.

Am assuming he is multi talented and will also be lacing up the boots come winter time.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Interesting.
Rod Mcqueen getting to work?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I wouldn't have thought there was any need to import a rower.

Am assuming he is multi talented and will also be lacing up the boots come winter time.

Average rugby player at best I hear. Once they're on the recruiting bandwagon, schools tend to scoop in talent regardless of a particular need. I'm waiting for the squeals when young a Hamish or Nicholas gets bumped from a crew or the 1st XV for one of the great unwashed.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Average rugby player at best I hear. Once they're on the recruiting bandwagon, schools tend to scoop in talent regardless of a particular need. I'm waiting for the squeals when young a Hamish or Nicholas gets bumped from a crew or the 1st XV for one of the great unwashed.

Hello Quick Hands
I can imagine the squeals will be heard the loudest in this year 16As. Last year after being well beaten by Kings and Newington, Shore refused to participate any further against the stronger GPS schools. As they claimed "Duty of Care issues" it would seem appropriate that this age group should get the Lion's Share of Shore's new merit based recruitment policy.

Such a policy should been seen as a proactive means of strengthening the overall quality of this age group as a strong GPS Rugby group. As neither team benefits from massive losses or wins. I

With Newingtion's 14As last year struggling also, I trust our College will find a few multi-talented boys who will enhance this age group as well.

Finally, Quick Hands any news on New Rugby for 2018. I gather there will be a large number (21 players) of boys returning to the School for the 1st and 2nds.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands
I can imagine the squeals will be heard the loudest in this year 16As. Last year after being well beaten by Kings and Newington, Shore refused to participate any further against the stronger GPS schools. As they claimed "Duty of Care issues" it would seem appropriate that this age group should get the Lion's Share of Shore's new merit based recruitment policy.

Such a policy should been seen as a proactive means of strengthening the overall quality of this age group as a strong GPS Rugby group. As neither team benefits from massive losses or wins. I

With Newingtion's 14As last year struggling also, I trust our College will find a few multi-talented boys who will enhance this age group as well.

Finally, Quick Hands any news on New Rugby for 2018. I gather there will be a large number (21 players) of boys returning to the School for the 1st and 2nds.

Indeed B&W> I did observe on the GPS 2017 thread that Shore 15As refused to play Newington at Shore in the GPS round, apparently because New bet them by 50 in the trial and safety issues were raised. I did raise a chuckle when on the day I noticed that Shore 15As played a game against Cranbrook 15As and beat them by about 50. It seems that winning by 50 is ok, but losing by 50 presents a safety issue. (winking and smiling emoticons would be placed here)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hello Quick Hands

The 2017 and 2018 Year 12 cohorts haven't been the most successful in most sports since they started in Year 7. The 2017 15s and 16s age groups were quite strong and this looks good for the years beyond. the 2017 14s are weak in most sports, while the 2017 13s age group have barely lost a game in any sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.