• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You make a valid point when you highlight one word in a post and ignore the context.
I thought it was clear my post was replying to the previous two posts discussing ridiculous capital expenditure by Schools.
Obviously not.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
You make a valid point when you highlight one word in a post and ignore the context.
I thought it was clear my post was replying to the previous two posts discussing ridiculous capital expenditure by Schools.
Obviously not.

Which, as someone else pointed out, is not being funded by Government money at all in this case. In itself, not a great point to use regarding withdrawing funding, when there isn't any specifically for it. Does it make these expenditures better? No. But when you use the term "any", it did not seem ambiguous to me. Anyway, I'll leave it alone.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
First up, do you really know how “private schools” are funded? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-30/school-funding-explained-without-mentioning-gonski/8555276
Secondly, do you know what a “private school” is? http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/independent-schools-not-private-and-not-always-rich/9421584

This post is a broad reply to the recent discussion above. It’s not targeted at any particular poster but I find the discussion of “elite private schools” and funding extremely frustrating because it is almost always an uneducated discussion. The fact is that if Government funding to independent schools was cut their fees would go up and many students would flood back into the public schools where we know there are already insufficient schools and classrooms (so the taxpayer will pay to build even more), and the Government cost per student is greater (so the taxpayer will pay more to educate those students). I believe the argument not to give money to private schools is a great example of an argument to cut your nose off to spite your face. It may be a historical anomaly that private schools are funded from the public purse but it’s impossible to back out of that model now without a greater cost to the taxpayer.

To come back on theme though I ask you, if we cut all public funding to private schools and the kids flood back into the public system, where rugby is a distant memory, what does that do for the future of our sport. And yes, there may be scholarships out there overt, or otherwise, but I guarantee the majority of rugby players in independent schools aren’t getting them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To come back on theme though I ask you, if we cut all public funding to private schools and the kids flood back into the public system, where rugby is a distant memory, what does that do for the future of our sport.
Might broaden the base by having more kids play club footy after they turn 15

Reactions: BAR

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Good point. There are quite a lot of players in club rugby already who are from independent schools - just not the bigger ones that are usually mentioned in these forums. My son and quite a few of his (U15) team mates are among them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm sad to say that the base is narrowing further. At least one under 14 team recruiting boys of larger builds from some distance away so that they can stay in A division. It seems that teams can't play A division without a team of behemoths anymore.

T

The Green Grocer

I'm sad to say that the base is narrowing further. At least one under 14 team recruiting boys of larger builds from some distance away so that they can stay in A division. It seems that teams can't play A division without a team of behemoths anymore.

I am pretty sure that's absolute rubbish and people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

Not sure what relevance this comment has to the related forum

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I am pretty sure that's absolute rubbish and people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

Actually this is the exact reason my son stopped playing club Rugby after u14's. He played A division for two years (13/14) and was coming up against clubs that were recruiting from rep teams quite some distance away just to win A division.

There was one club team two years ago that were eventually forced to play in the A division in the age above their proper age (which they won) because they were that much better. The majority of the kids came from a completely different rep area about 30 kms away (I wont name them).

It does happen. And it is relevant.

T

The Green Grocer

Actually this is the exact reason my son stopped playing club Rugby after u14's. He played A division for two years (13/14) and was coming up against clubs that were recruiting from rep teams quite some distance away just to win A division.

There was one club team two years ago that were eventually forced to play in the A division in the age above their proper age (which they won) because they were that much better. The majority of the kids came from a completely different rep area about 30 kms away (I wont name them).

Number 7

Sorry to hear about your son

The comment is not relevant as this is a schools thread and the comment is about clubland.

The comment is also false and ill informed

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

It's not rubbish, it's a fact.

I'm not quite sure what the glass houses comment relates to as I have never sought to excuse the club or school that I support from criticism.

It's relevant because the thread relates to recruiting and it was in direct response to a post which discussed club juniors.

I notice that after criticising my post, you then went and liked a post which agreed with me and disagreed with you. Do you actually read the posts that you respond to and/or like?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

He obviously knows what happens in every junior team in every club in Sydney if his posts are to be believed. Sigh.

T

The Green Grocer

The bloke who has made 11 posts tried.;)

I didn't know volume was an issue. If there is an issues in the 14s I find it funny that the Marlins raise it.

Brian, I just hope Junge pulls you into line because I am unsure what you had to add. I had nothing but respect for your commentary until that comment

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Do your own research and as the moderator answer question is forum clubland or school?

I have a hunch this might be a short conversation. I still don't know who Junge is, and the original comment was completely relevant, as the poster was talking about the principle of "loading" teams with stars, which causes problems across all brands of rugby. And other sports. I'm answering that as a poster.

T

The Green Grocer

ok so clubland relevant and when u can't answer my question about the forum and it's naming

Let me know which team is loading teams with stars, perhaps people are just working within the boundaries to keep kids in the game.

Manly is ok to cast dispersions

Time to man up

Status
Not open for further replies.