• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidelineview

Schools want their best players in their 1st XV teams and expect students to prioritise playing for their schools.
Some leaguies do choose to play rugby post school after enjoying and being successful in the schoolboy rugby experience.
The scholarship thing is a double edged sword.
On one hand it attracts more rugby playing students to traditionally strong rugby schools which can have a positive flow on effect for local Clubs and the game in general post school.
It provides opportunities to students whose parents cant afford the school fees.
It can strengthen an age group that isnt particularly strong so the Opens teams are competitive.
On the downside schools can ruthlessly seek premierships by recruiting 'musicians' who happen to be champion rugby players.
Schools can do the wrong thing by students who have come through the age groups only to be outed from 1st XV spots by imports.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Thanks GPS Observer, I feel as you do that certain individuals wish to maintain the GPS School system as a bastion of social elitism, whereby attendance at these schools is preserve of a few wealthy and privileged individuals. This attitude is repugnant to the Methodist values at Newington that you have stated. Rather, this disappointing attitude reflects an outlook of social bigotry that is unAustralian. And as we have seen on numerous posts, they will disparage Newington without care to the facts. My father had two jobs and my mother worked as well, to send we three children to Newington and MLC.. 80% of the boys at Newington have parents who both work. A fact that makes both parents and teachers immensely proud.As such I am forever in debt to my parents for there efforts they made. If the Newington scholarship system proves to be a success, enhancing the quality of the school, I suspect other schools will seek to emulate it opening the flood doors to the great unwashed of Society. Not only will GPS Rugby teams improve in talent, but more frightening, these boys of talent will take the places of sons of Old Boys, who believe their boys have a birth right to play in the first XV. In which case this explains the hostility to scholarships at Newington, however, not all schools feel this way so I expect changes will occur in other schools as the social bigots are isolated. I am also sure that some bloggers on this site will continue to bury their heads in the sand and deny reality about how the boys themselves will benefit. So expect more self-righteous crap that these boys are nothing more than rugby meat to win glory for the school. How a boy benefits from an education at Newington, cannot be measured in terms of his job or his HSC results. It lies within the boy himself and the man he becomes.

What era were you at Newington? I started in Wyvern in late 70s and finished year 12 in late 80s. During my entire time I was there I knew probably less than 20 boys whose both parents worked and about half of those (like mine) were both doctors (i.e. pretty middle class). Whilst I agree that Newington might have had a certain 'working class reputation' in the GPS I certainly didn't sense that it was a school full of boys whose parents were struggling to pay the fees.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
B&W has been MIA, following that post.

Shame, he did seem like a nice and quite knowledgeable fellow.

He can come back and play now.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Brian, as one of the old lags on this site (about the 10th, give or take a member or two) and someone who has a much longer association than you with the school with which you're connected (Old Boy, uncle, OBU committee, parent, etc.), pull your head in. And desist from carrying on with this pointless argument of what school's doing whatever for which boy who may or may not be good at rugby.

If you're unfamiliar with the guiding principles of G&GR, go back and have a squiz at them. Check here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/welcome-to-g-gr-history-and-rules.7341/

Gagger, also, has a long association with the school with which you're connected, even longer than me.

Dear Lindommer

I am genuinely apologetic that I have upset you and your cohort,as well as the Waverley gentlemen.
All I suggested was a podcast of this palaver would have been something to have a Laugh to, listening rather than reading.
Some people now have become increasingly fragile, as has society. I shan’t say anything controversial here anymore so as not to upset wlf,slv or b&w.
And to you three contributors, it is with heartfelt sorrow that I have offended you all in any way shape or form

Yours regrettably
Brian

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Dear Lindommer

I am genuinely apologetic that I have upset you and your cohort,as well as the Waverley gentlemen.
All I suggested was a podcast of this palaver would have been something to have a Laugh to, listening rather than reading.
Some people now have become increasingly fragile, as has society. I shan’t say anything controversial here anymore so as not to upset wlf,slv or b&w.
And to you three contributors, it is with heartfelt sorrow that I have offended you all in any way shape or form

Yours regrettably
Brian

Brian,

Apology accepted, we can all say silly things at times.

Let's just focus on the footy and remember , at the end of the day, we are trying to protect the sport we like whilst having some good banter school v school etc.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How things have changed.
An implication that Scots has recruited two centres of such great ability that they are already contracted to an NRL club has raised not a smidgen of outrage on these pages.
I remember the day......

(mea culpa - I can't find the original statement to link to. Just going from memory.)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
How things have changed.
An implication that Scots has recruited two centres of such great ability that they are already contracted to an NRL club has raised not a smidgen of outrage on these pages.
I remember the day..

(mea culpa - I can't find the original statement to link to. Just going from memory.)

Nothing they do - even a Baronial Library (almost a contradiction in terms) - causes even the slightest raised eyebrow. They have won the race to the bottom with daylight second. let's see how they go in the sport money cant buy this weekend.
Is that more of what you were hoping for?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nothing they do - even a Baronial Library (almost a contradiction in terms) - causes even the slightest raised eyebrow. They have won the race to the bottom with daylight second. let's see how they go in the sport money cant buy this weekend.
Is that more of what you were hoping for?

I think Castle Librarium has certainly raised eyebrows and hackles in the SMH last week or two. But it was buried amongst all the capital works across Sydney's Private Resort and Day-Spa Schools, some of which dwarfed it financially. Big business, big business. They're unstoppable.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)

I cant find the post about the Year 8 boys having a meeting and all deciding to change schools. It was mentioned that some kids playing in a Premiership winning junior Randwick rugby team made up predominately of Waverley students, wanted to change schools to join their mates. I hope more from that team have enrolled at Waverley. I forget how many Waverley students were in that U14s team (?) but it was significant and highlighted the good work being done by both school and club and also highlighted the good relationship between the two.

Just interested which premiership this U14 Randwick team won last year?

It wasn't the U14 SJRU DIV A final, which was played between Blue Mountains and Lindfield (the winners) or the NSW State Championships which was won by Eastwood. I don't think Randwick made the top 8 in that comp and I couldn't see a Randwick team in the other SJRU U14 divisions.

Were they playing in a different comp?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Just interested which premiership this U14 Randwick team won last year?

It wasn't the U14 SJRU DIV A final, which was played between Blue Mountains and Lindfield (the winners) or the NSW State Championships which was won by Eastwood. I don't think Randwick made the top 8 in that comp and I couldn't see a Randwick team in the other SJRU U14 divisions.

Were they playing in a different comp?

WTF,

The Randwick 14s won the B grade club comp beating Blacktown, the game before Blue Mountains and Lindfield.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
WTF,

The Randwick 14s won the B grade club comp beating Blacktown, the game before Blue Mountains and Lindfield.

Aha! The Myrtle Green Warriors was their name! That makes sense. So what you're saying is the Waverley U14's last year who beat everyone pretty easily (Knox was the only close game I think) has just got stronger!

Fantastic (that's sarcasm...), my son's school will get smashed again no doubt.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Aha! The Myrtle Green Warriors was their name! That makes sense. So what you're saying is the Waverley U14's last year who beat everyone pretty easily (Knox was the only close game I think) has just got stronger!

Fantastic (that's sarcasm.), my son's school will get smashed again no doubt.

Sorry WTF,

Yes the MG Warriors, keep forgetting that name.

Let's see what happens this year as everyone has grown etc.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think Castle Librarium has certainly raised eyebrows and hackles in the SMH last week or two. But it was buried amongst all the capital works across Sydney's Private Resort and Day-Spa Schools, some of which dwarfed it financially. Big business, big business. They're unstoppable.
Is that the correct declension?

Status
Not open for further replies.