• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
I can name a few students at Kings who are on sporting scholarships, as well. It is not only Newington, although they have taken it to a new level.

I know a number of the parents from Kings and nearly all the players in their 1sts are country boarders with the majority of their families having had a past association with the school.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Well said Quick Hands.

This thread does not exhibit our country in best light. Thousands of views / posts driven apparently by hypocrisy, ego, and a very plain undercurrent of racism.

Racism is not pretty and clearly very topical. It can become embedded and almost invisible. The man on the moon reading these threads would think we were in the 1930's!

It's hard to admit to being racist / admit to passing a racist joke over a beer but 95% of us have done it. This thread seems to perpetuate it.

The bigger issue is I reckon 95% of readers here don't realise we keep doing it on this thread and pass it off as a slip of the tongue like Eddie, or simply don't realise the inferences we are making......or perhaps we do and don't care.

This thread was started because a few years ago a few Tongan boys went to Newington and they won the comp (2010). They wear white shirts and are called 'imports' even by rectors! This is morally wrong.

This is a great forum but this thread needs to be put to bed. It's embarrassing. Come on guys wake up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
That is a crock of shit.
Most of the boys being talked about at New are white anglo saxons.
So unless you are accusing the Newington Scholarship recruitment policy as being Aryan in nature.
Race does not come into it at all.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
I drop in to look at this thread from time to time, and I have to say, I can't entirely understand all the fuss. Everyone seems to be angry about something, but no-one does a very good job of articulating what it is.

Look: the genie is out of the bottle. There are too many factors in play. The schools want their 1st XVs to be strong. The boys want to see whether they have a shot at playing professionally. The parents want their boys in good schools. All of that means that scholarships and recruitment are with us to stay.

What seems to me to be the main cause of the ongoing anger about this is that there's simply no honesty about what's going on. I'm thinking especially (but not only) about the NSW GPS here, because they pay lip service to the idea of there being no sports scholarships when it is obvious that these exist in most schools in some form. What this leads to is a school's supporters complaining that it plays by the rules while another school does not. Surely the sensible thing is to face up to the reality of what is happening, and drop the pretence? Then if one school wants to say that it gives no scholarships but other schools do, then it's just a question of a preferred policy, rather than an accusation of cheating.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
That is a crock of shit.
Most of the boys being talked about at New are white anglo saxons.
So unless you are accusing the Newington Scholarship recruitment policy as being Aryan in nature.
Race does not come into it at all.

I rest my case. When it comes to racism, there is a little bit of it in all of us. Putting on a front like 'that is a crock of shit' isn't exactly going to help you on a voyage of self discovery.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I think where Inside Shoulder is coming from is that if certain talented athletes were still in the CHS system, then there schools may be able to build a team around them.

Randwick Boys High School f'r example has provided at least two boys to this years NEW 1st XV, 1 joining in Yr 11 (yes after representing SJRU at U16 level) and one transferring a year earlier.

When those boys were at Randwick, that school didn't have a regular Rugby Team, but without them 5 other fringe rugby kids are disinclined to pull on their boots for the school and there is bugger all chance of having a team.

Moving to NEW, the boys in question undoubtably get a better rugby education, playing tougher games week in week out. The unintended consequence of the concentration of the talented athletes into only 6 schools is the collapse of footy everywhere else.
Hugh, they could now be running around with Randwick Colts, similar to Josh Valentine some 12 years ago when he declined the opportunity to play (oops Freudian slip) I meant enrol with an incredibly famous rugby school as he thought the rugby at Warringah colts was more intense (20 odd games a season against more mature bodies).

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
That is my point. @kennypowers I am mainly talking about the game not the elite level of the game - although the more people who play it at all levels the better the chance of unearthing the necessary elite level talent.
Also my point was that I can (only just) pay fees to any one of these schools if I choose and feel the need to be part of a tilt at the rugby premiership, followed by a disappointing HSC, in which my offspring may or may not participate directly.
Judging by the Facebook page of one of the families that left RBHS there was a school team in his year. Don't know the position now. I recall him trialling in u 16s and opens for CHS - so he was evidently highly thought of in that system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would one problem with CHS also be that staff don't want to take sports teams outside of school time.

I don't want an argument about private vs public teachers both work hard for what they get.

But I have notice a decline in the number of schools were I live either no longer fielding rugby or league teams or having a very diminished local competition.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Please,enlighten me.
Which part of my post is racist?

Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying any part of what you said is racist. What I meant is that your reaction is typical of someone who might be. i.e defensive / on the attack.

Don't get me wrong I am not accusing you of being racist. But many are here without even genuinely knowing it. I haven't any reason to give you that badge as I have not read enough of your posts.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Well said Quick Hands.

This thread does not exhibit our country in best light. Thousands of views / posts driven apparently by hypocrisy, ego, and a very plain undercurrent of racism.

Racism is not pretty and clearly very topical. It can become embedded and almost invisible. The man on the moon reading these threads would think we were in the 1930's!

It's hard to admit to being racist / admit to passing a racist joke over a beer but 95% of us have done it. This thread seems to perpetuate it.

The bigger issue is I reckon 95% of readers here don't realise we keep doing it on this thread and pass it off as a slip of the tongue like Eddie, or simply don't realise the inferences we are making..or perhaps we do and don't care.

This thread was started because a few years ago a few Tongan boys went to Newington and they won the comp (2010). They wear white shirts and are called 'imports' even by rectors! This is morally wrong.

This is a great forum but this thread needs to be put to bed. It's embarrassing. Come on guys wake up.
Ummm - no - out and out importing started in the early 80's with schools like Cranbrook/Joeys and was taken to a new (pun intended ) level in 1992 when 5 boys entered Scots - all of whom were anglos/angmos/johns/gweilos/whiteys (one actually had that surname).

On the issue of racism - a side story. A friend is ethnic Singhalese and lived most of her life in Australia and now in Asia. She believes racism in Australia is skin deep but in Asia it is deep seated hatred. Aussies are not good and need to improve but they are miles ahead of most countries in evolving the issue - sadly still some ways to go based on Eddie's performance.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't take this the wrong way. I'm not saying any part of what you said is racist. What I meant is that your reaction is typical of someone who might be. i.e defensive / on the attack.

Don't get me wrong I am not accusing you of being racist. But many are here without even genuinely knowing it. I haven't any reason to give you that badge as I have not read enough of your posts.
Mate, every race has a natural preference towards its own - ipso facto everyone is racist - some just are more extreme than others in how they enunciate their prejudice.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

So how about you actually respond to my original point instead of deflecting by inferring I am a racist.
How are New being detractors racist,if the majority of imported players are of anglo saxon heritage?

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
So how about you actually respond to my original point instead of deflecting by inferring I am a racist.
How are New being detractors racist,if the majority of imported players are of anglo saxon heritage?

Firstly get off your horse, i'm not inferring you are racist.

Secondly I am with you on this in that re NEW most of the scholarship players are of anglo saxon heritage. My point is that on this thread the focus both positively and negatively does not seem proportionate to their representation in their team. I think you are looking at this from the school as a whole perspective, I am looking at it from the individual level where I think it becomes more obvious.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)

You did, as soon as you stated "I rest my case" as in, "see everyone???"

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
You did, as soon as you stated "I rest my case" as in, "see everyone???"

Brian you are being selective at the very least. I clearly restated my original posting and what i had meant, rather than how it was received.

I am though now 110% more aware that within NSW GPS circles one is not allowed to bring up this subject. I should have been aware of this. Sorry.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
listen prov, it's not OK anywhere to accuse or infer someone is racist without being able to back it up.
But it served your purpose,we are now talking about racism,not the fact that even you accept that New field a side full of scholarship holders.Which is the point of the thread after all.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
I rest my case. When it comes to racism, there is a little bit of it in all of us. Putting on a front like 'that is a crock of shit' isn't exactly going to help you on a voyage of self discovery.
sounds pretty inferring/accusing to me too.... try an apology and stop trying to turn this chat into some personal politically correct crusade.............whats with "but many here are???" you've just "badged" alot of people without "reading enough of their posts" as well.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well said Quick Hands.

The bigger issue is I reckon 95% of readers here don't realise we keep doing it on this thread and pass it off as a slip of the tongue like Eddie, or simply don't realise the inferences we are making..or perhaps we do and don't care.

Ironically, this is the only racist post I've seen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Would one problem with CHS also be that staff don't want to take sports teams outside of school time.

I don't want an argument about private vs public teachers both work hard for what they get.

But I have notice a decline in the number of schools were I live either no longer fielding rugby or league teams or having a very diminished local competition.
I think that could be a factor.
Hence my overall desire to sideline all school competition and develop a properly run, funded and geographically diversified club junior system.
Awarding sports scholarships frustrates my ultimate aim!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Down in Mexico, there is a fair bit of head shaking about St Kevin's who are beating most opponents by cricket scores most weeks, but nowhere near the level of debate about scholarshipping that there is in Olde Sydney Towne. Perhaps related to the smaller number of Gaggerlanders from Victoria

I have heard that the other schools are boycotting playing against St Kevins. I do not know if this is true, it could be rubbish. Maybe someone with better knowledge can confirm this.