• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There has been consternation about boys lobbing up in Yr 11 at AAGPS.

NEW has been outed as having a few boys starting in Senior College (Yr 11). My post was directed at addressing the proposition that this happens each year, and that Rep Coaches are somehow complicit in the highly unethical practice of selecting scholarship boys for their schools.

Under 16's are typically Yr 10, therefore to see who may have lobbed up at a GPS school in Yr 11 this year as part of the Arms Race you need to look at movements from last years Yr 10 cohort.

It may be that it is a two year cycle. Go shopping to in Year -1 to "Get em in" for Yr 11 (year 1 no need to go shopping), keep em to Yr 12 (Year 2). Go shopping in Year 2 (the new Year-1).

The great work with the U16 Team lists from last year that George Smith posted made it very easy and efficient to copy and paste and compare with the various ISA, CCC, and CHS opens lists for this year.

To do a similar analysis for the 2011 U16 (or 2010 U16) for that matter would require significantly more effort on my behalf, and as Inside Shoulder has posted that information has already been posted somewhere in this thread.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't want to prick your balloon,but I know 2 players listed in your post plus 2 others you don't mention, that were not only approached, but I would almost say pressured in a couple of these cases,into moving Schools.
No it wasn't the School that is getting the most criticism in this thread.And no, their teachers were not involved in the representative teams.
None of them chose to move,that doesn't mean it never happened.

Never claimed that there were no approaches made. There were plenty of clipboards at the championships.

Kids and parents make choices all the time, and on the subject of pressure, plenty of parents try to pressure schools into accepting little (or not so little) Johnny into their rugby programme.

I think it is great that this cohort of kids and parents have by and large stuck with their original education plans. It hasn't always been the case.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Then I have no idea of what point you are making.
You write a couple of thousand words myth busting the concept of Sports Scholarships,then you freely admit there are plenty of clipboards, and accept that Schools are out there poaching players?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not quite as simple as that re High. As for Grammar, as far as I understand (my whole street went to Grammar as did all our family friends) ever since Mackerras there has been a real 'de-emphasis 'on sport as a whole in any event. I remember my friend at Grammar telling me that in the 8os they 'selected' their GPS atheltics team by a simple sign which read "Would you like to be a GPS athelete?'

http://ninglun.wordpress.com/2007/08/05/winning-is-nice-but-it-isnt-everything/
You really spout some crap. I can unequivocally refute that. Athletics at Grammar in the 80s did pretty well, with the junior team being at or very near the top repeatedly.
Try to deal in fact, not spurious, cheap shots at Grammar and High from a position of complete ignorance.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
I know it is a different code , but it aligns with sporting scholarships and its effect on the sport overall; the other big Rugby (League) importer - Patrician Brothers Blacktown played Farrer Agricultural High Tamworth in the GIO Schoolboys Cup (National Schools Knockout) last week. Pats won 86-0; just great for schoolboy sport; in general - NOT.

I dont believe anyone would say Farrer is a joke of a school with regard to sport.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
You really spout some crap. I can unequivocally refute that. Athletics at Grammar in the 80s did pretty well, with the junior team being at or very near the top repeatedly.
Try to deal in fact, not spurious, cheap shots at Grammar and High from a position of complete ignorance.

Pity, DragonMan will not answer a simple question; does Newington import students to play rugby?

The generic response is: check the bursary and scholarship criteria etc, etc.

As said, I'm a non-GPSer but even I can name 6 players who only attended Newington after being offered scholarships due to their sporting ability.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Never claimed that there were no approaches made. There were plenty of clipboards at the championships.

Kids and parents make choices all the time, and on the subject of pressure, plenty of parents try to pressure schools into accepting little (or not so little) Johnny into their rugby programme.

I think it is great that this cohort of kids and parents have by and large stuck with their original education plans. It hasn't always been the case.
One of the parents from the country 16's proudly tells all and sundry on how her son is on scholarship that you mentioned in your tome a couple of pages back. Quite happily stated in front of a CCC principal too.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Not quite as simple as that re High. As for Grammar, as far as I understand (my whole street went to Grammar as did all our family friends) ever since Mackerras there has been a real 'de-emphasis 'on sport as a whole in any event. I remember my friend at Grammar telling me that in the 8os they 'selected' their GPS atheltics team by a simple sign which read "Would you like to be a GPS athelete?'

http://ninglun.wordpress.com/2007/08/05/winning-is-nice-but-it-isnt-everything/
Golly gee willikers...
Who do l believe? Dragonman, who is holding back the tide with a soggy turd sandwich?
Or Cyclopath, who has given me and many other insightful, knowledgeable responses for many many years.
Walter Mitty comes to mind. mmmmm....

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Golly gee willikers.
Who do l believe? Dragonman, who is holding back the tide with a soggy turd sandwich?
Or Cyclopath, who has given me and many other insightful, knowledgeable responses for many many years.
Walter Mitty comes to mind. mmmmm..

what does this even mean? my story re Grammar GPS Athletics was anecdotal obviously

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Pity, DragonMan will not answer a simple question; does Newington import students to play rugby?

The generic response is: check the bursary and scholarship criteria etc, etc.

As said, I'm a non-GPSer but even I can name 6 players who only attended Newington after being offered scholarships due to their sporting ability.
I'm not making any cheap shots at Grammar or High. I competed in GPS Athletics in Juniors and Seniors through the 80s, I never said they were hopeless, I made a point that Grammar started their decline in GPS sports in general in the 80s. As for High I simply posted an article by an Old Boy of the school itself which points to various factors leading to their decline in some GPS sports. As for the 'scholarship holders' PLEASE READ THE COLLEGE WEBSITE!!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
DragonMan does sprout some crap, cyclopath, and he omits to answer some hard questions, but having been at Grammar under Mackerras in the 70s I would lay the blame for the decline in sport squarely at his feet.
He began the process from the day he got the job because he considered most sport, but particularly heavens game, barbaric. The arrogance of his view that intellectual pursuits were all that mattered had and has a profound continuing impact on the school which is only now being addressed.
I suspect that the story of the athletics note leaves out an important but subtle detail: every boy is encouraged to train in the athletics squad and to run for the school. I suspect this is what the note was about. A bit of PR to get kids who would otherwise play chess to come and do some sprint training and maybe make the SGS GPS squad. This still happens and I reckon it is the embodiment of what school sport should be about: participation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
what does this even mean? my story re Grammar GPS Athletics was anecdotal obviously
I think it means that you are evasive and effusive to a point when it comes to actually accepting that the school that you attended(ing) is right in the midst of making a premiership team of professional players and you wish to endlessly deny any wrongdoings, why do you choose this path?

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)

Jeez - talk about a back flip - first you come out in your usual preaching style about how wrong I was then you come and say plenty of clipboards. Room of mirrors for you.

Mikeball

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington are clearly the leaders in recruiting new players. As said on here, rugby team is riddled with new boys, as is their tennis and waterpolo teams. Newington's success on the athletics track is a direct result of a wider catchment of new athletes, their basketball program was actually their first recruiting program. Kings walk around as if their hands are clean, please!

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Newington are clearly the leaders in recruiting new players. As said on here, rugby team is riddled with new boys, as is their tennis and waterpolo teams. Newington's success on the athletics track is a direct result of a wider catchment of new athletes, their basketball program was actually their first recruiting program. Kings walk around as if their hands are clean, please!

I can name a few students at Kings who are on sporting scholarships, as well. It is not only Newington, although they have taken it to a new level.

What pisses me off, is DragonMan's "head in the sand" attitude and the denial.

Mikeball

Bob McCowan (2)
Kings again have an athletics program full of kids on scholarships, as has their rugby/tennis and basketball programs. Have a look at their facilities, they should be doing better across the board than what they are!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I find the level of hysteria, hyperbole, denials and inaccuracy on this thread relatively amusing, and contribute on occasions to try and keep the debate based on facts rather than rumour.
If that comes across as preaching then so be it. I'm happy to be corrected if something I have posted is factually incorrect.

In a previous post (1614) Spieber suggested that Sharks circle at U16 schoolboys competition (assume that they mean both NSW Schools Trials, normally held at Knox, and the National U16 champs) and the NSW JRU State Championships.

Spieber advised that a player at those tournaments "would be sounded out" if he was any good (1609).

Spieber suggested that chances of landing a scholarship were improved if the U15/U16 rep team was coached by someone connected to an AAGPS school (1605). This was possibly a little tongue in cheek.

Addressing these in some semblance of order:
The sharks circling (Spieber term)/Clipboard carriers (my term) are synonyms.

These could be any of Rugby Lite scouts, Rugby scouts (ARU, Club, and Schools), Player managers (yes there are 15 and 16 yo's who have player managers) "minding" their charges Player Managers that are shopping for new product, or Gaggerland Match reporters.

There are fairly strict protocols at the tournaments controlled by ARU (and Aust Schools RU) regarding players being approached by accredited agents during the tournament. Not sure about the NSW Schools RU tournaments.

Fairly confident that there is open slather at NSW JRU and SJRU tournaments for Player Managers, Agents, Scouts and Spotters to approach players and/or parents.
Everyone knows this and it is often amusing to witness the hotbed of intrigue on the sidelines at U16 in particular, and U15 to a lesser degree. U17 is viewed by many (rightly or wrongly) as too late and the sidelines are fairly tame, as most of the circling sharks are focusing on the U16's.

The advice that good players will be sounded out at tournaments is correct. Sometimes it is done with a subtlety and subterfuge that the James Bond would be proud of. Sometimes it is as blatant as one of the ARU HPU blokes rocking up and inviting the boy to "testing" at Moore Park next week.
Most "good players" have been on the radar of the circling sharks for a year or two before the "sounding out" occurs.

The Tome I prepared on last years U16 rep teams (from Nationals) debunked the myth that there was any headhunting of last years U16 players by team coaches who had "relevant contacts at a AAGPS School".

Clipboard wielding circling sharks with relevant contacts at AAGPS schools may have approached players and/or parents outside the tournament, and even pressured parents to change schools as has been asserted by others on here.

This is different from the claim/suggestion that team coaches were actively recruiting for their school.
I will concede that this cohort saw some school changes between Under 15 and Under 16's, but even then there weren't too many, and there didn't appear to be any connection between rep team Coaches and the new schools.

Rep team coaches herding players towards their AAGPS school may have occurred in the past, but last years mob appear to be "clean" in this respect.

I'd be surprised if things are as rife as many posters allude to.
From what I am hearing, the numbers of parents approaching schools spruiking their kids athletic abilities in the hope of gaining some form of subsidised education significantly outnumber the number of "sounding outs" that occur from the circling sharks.

There are some very ethical and committed Rep rugby coaches out there who's reputations are unfairly tarnished by off-the-cuff remarks suggesting that they abuse their position of responsibility that they volunteer for with an intention of poaching kids for their school.

The scholarship providers/poachers/headhunters etc are normally fairly subtle in how they improve their playing stocks.

I really don't care too much either way on the whole scholarshiping thing, providing it is more or less kept in balance and not just about the "rich" getting "richer".

I have posed the question elsewhere on this thread, "If you were offered a full scholarship at a GPS school, would you actually turn it down?"

Not many people replied that they would. It is fairly understandable.

I believe that there are very few "full" scholarships, "fee relief" or "bursaries" out there inteh system. Not all scholarships are equal and the vast majority that I am aware of are for 50% or less fee reduction.

This thread goes around in circles as a cohort of parents/posters/players leave the School rugby system, and a new bunch arrive each year.

I'd repeat the question to the current batch of readers to this thread.

In the full knowledge that is is against a code of conduct for AAGPS and CAS*, would you turn down an offer of a Y7 - Y12 free education at a CAS or AAGPS School?

*I think sports scholarships are also against the ISA code of conduct but haven't been able to confirm this via a web site post. Most likely because the ISA Web site is rather user unfriendly.
Occasionally St Auggies cops some stick about this, normally not long after an "out of conference" match.
The ISA school rugby fraternity seem to accept that a strong Auggies (some scholarships) and Oakhill (no scholarships) are necessary to have a competitive (and relevant ISA) competition.

Mikeball

Bob McCowan (2)
ST Augustines $6K per year, Newington $30K per year - big difference in the term scholarship when comparing GPS and ISA

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good point. I reckon that there is some underlying envy in the anti-scholarship gang.

Go back about 50 pages to one of my previous sermons on Scholarships. That was identified as a factor.