• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I may do that. Another interesting analysis would be to see how the schools who are the subject of recruiting allegations have increased their representation.
My impression is that "the others" are either improving or holding their own - that's good.
I would have thought the real worry is the GPS domination for the last 3 years a trend that arguably started in 2009 - just when the 16 year olds identified for recruiting in 2007 would have been making their way into opens.
Your statistics are telling and confirm my impressions of what has happened.

There are, however, people out there who will either deny it or say it's a good thing.

I'd have thought that 6 schools supplying 58% of elite players should have alarm bells ringing loudly. Maybe when it becomes 5 schools (sans Shore) we might have people sit up and take notice.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
2013 saw more than 40% provided by only 3 schools.
2012 43% from 4 schools.
Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 6.41.11 PM.png

There is 1 error but I couldn't be stuffed to work out where it was.
Each boy is 2.17%.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Would it help the NEW boys that the GPS Rugby Coordinator is a NEW teacher?

Is there any correlation between NEW coaches being appointed to NSW I or II coaching slots, and the number of NEW boys in the teams?

There was certainly comment passed when Pappa was NSW I coach and a quantity of Augies boys made NSW I. Pretty sure that was 2010 (9 x "others" [39.13%] in NSW I by IS spreadsheet above).

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Newington's 2013 21.74% highest ever by a substantial margin.

The AAGPS was particulary strong in the period of 1989 to 1996 a period of 8 years the stats for this period based on a percentage of selections are;

Table2.png

So to your point Joeys averaged 20% over an 8 year period.

To IS point over this period of 8 years not just one or two years - 3 schools provided 38%.

The AAGPS over this period provided 56% of all NSW 1st & 2nd XV's.

It's all been done before, doesn't the saying go the more things change the more they really stay the same.

It is sad to see the decline of SBHS, but this is largely to do with it's current enrolment policy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is sad to see the decline of SBHS, but this is largely to do with it's current enrolment policy.

Milne and Vasilis at NEW are Randwick boys. Rudulph at Scots is similarly a Randwick boy.

If there were slightly different enrolment policies at SBHS, these lads may have ended up in AAGPS schools but at SBHS (along with with a fair few other Randwick, Easts and Inner West boys) with SBHS having a fair sort of a Rugby team.

So SBHS decline has been due to the enrolment policies (there is apparent change in the wind for up to 30 "local" boys per year with a slightly lower academic entry standard).

Grammar decline is apparently due to the lack of emphasis on sporting endeavours.

Shore's alleged relative decline is being put down to rigid adherence to the no scholarships policy of AAGPS.

Crazy Legs

Bob McCowan (2)
At a soiree earlier this year and a Rugby Mum was more than happy to say that junior had been approached for a FULL Rugby scholarship to TSC. This was on the Central Coast and she stated it to all and sundry. He is enjoying the lifestyle from all accounts too.
The question therein lies Scaraby; Whom do I believe? The proud mum or you?
Oh the Rugby Mum, every Club, Zone & State has one. We should never question their motives or challenge their word, although it sounds like this one in particular maybe living the dream instead of Junior. I was never offered a scholarship my day as it was a "who you know" or "what you have" type of set up in the Far North, but if you're good enough where you go to school is irrelevant as far as I am concerned

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ahh well the battle of the cheque books turned out differently than expected.
Scots 33 - Newington 15.
As far as I know this scots team is reasonably organic.
The result should tell both schools that, for the time being, you cannot buy victories.
I fear the message may be "we didnt spend enough"

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Scots 33 - Newington 15.
The result should tell both schools that, for the time being, you cannot buy victories.
Live by the sword, die by the sword. Have no sympathy for Newington but feel for the poor boys upon whom very large (and unrealistic) expectations are placed. Assume some boys will be gutted by the result. I hope Newington has a pastoral care system to match its sports programme and these boys receive the appropriate support.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scots 33 - Newington 15.
I fear that you may be correct, although I'd like to think otherwise. What's appalling is that these programmes are being directed by highly educated men, who should be able to see that victory achieved by paying at best lip-service to the rules and at worst breaking them is rather hollow.

What many of the boys are being deprived of is the experience of spending 6 (or more) years with the same group of players, watching some go from 13 C or D players to 16As and 1st XV and feeling the moral support and fellowship of all the year group and really representing the student body as well as the name of the College/School.

Some years ago, a friend of mine coached the 1st XV at Cranbrook for a few years and he had a rule that at least once at year the 1st XV had to go and watch the 1sts of other sports/activities - even debating and the compliment was reciprocated. Camraderie like that can't be bought.

Rob hart

Ted Thorn (20)
newington you can try and buy a team to win a premiership.......... today you learnt that you cant buy passion ..... next year good luck playing grammar and High should be close games...............

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
newington you can try and buy a team to win a premiership.... today you learnt that you cant buy passion ... next year good luck playing grammar and High should be close games.....
I wouldn't go quite that far, but your point is well made.

It would be good if all teams had close games against Grammar and High.

Note to scholarship schools: If your coaching programmes are so good - back them by not importing/recruiting/insert euphamism rugby players to bolster your playing stocks. You might just be surprised how boys will respond if you back them and develop their talents.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
Fair call HJ, but brilliant one off players like News 12 , 15 don't necessarily follow a game plan. Scots have a game plan. It's not to everyones liking because it stops one off brilliant players taking different options during the game. The Scots game plan gives a wonderful spectacle and flies in the face of all this scholarship hoohah.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Stuff it take the scholarship
You just get taken as a fool if you stick with old fashioned standards that don't include donations or secret handshakes (the other old fashioned standards)
Unless of course you were able to use the scholarship for leverage

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Scots 33 - Newington 15.

Sorry IS
From what I have heard - the only cheques being used by the Scots parents of boys in this team is to pay their school fees !

Please don't take away from what most people I have spoken with to have been a really good game of school boy rugby. Thanks.

Injuries starting to take their toll across many teams, it seems.

Trial HSC exams for many schools starting next week , I understand.

Good luck fella's.

The Hound

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sorry IS
From what I have heard - the only cheques being used by the Scots parents of boys in this team is to pay their school fees !

Please don't take away from what most people I have spoken with to have been a really good game of school boy rugby. Thanks.

Injuries starting to take their toll across many teams, it seems.

Trial HSC exams for many schools starting next week , I understand.

Good luck fella's.

The Hound

Read it again: this scots team is reasonably organic.
If you dont understand that let me know and I'll break it down into something you can manage.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Oh the Rugby Mum, every Club, Zone & State has one. We should never question their motives or challenge their word, although it sounds like this one in particular maybe living the dream instead of Junior. I was never offered a scholarship my day as it was a "who you know" or "what you have" type of set up in the Far North, but if you're good enough where you go to school is irrelevant as far as I am concerned
Hope you got out there Crazy Legs to watch me live my dream!!!!!! Wasn t me playing rugby but Seeing my son happy, playing some great quality rugby in a great atmosphere, where parents are happy to see other kids do well, rather than whinge and whine. Sounds a bit like one of the many disgruntled parents previously encounter.