• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
What was your point? That you don't accept the premise underlying the basketball boycott?
The boycott is an eloquent thing.
It doesn't matter what anyone other than the headmasters responsible think.
They are in by far the best position to know - far better than anyone on here except those with direct lines of communication.
Their actions, including the actions of those who are now getting cold feet, corroborated, in one fell swoop, all of the supposedly unsubstantiated "rumours": while one of them might act in haste it was unlikely that they all would.
Let's wait and see by the actions of schools in coming months, you have already said a few have changed there mind and have agreed to play, if some agree to play, then there may be very little to initial allegations - I am not sure, but from all the allegations made on this forum, which overtime have fallen apart with real evidence, the headmasters are human too, can jump to conclusions, are under pressure from parents, do seek answers - it will resolve itself, let's just not jump to conclusions

moneyball

Bob McCowan (2)
Maybe rather than getting cold feet a couple of headmaster have actually considered the facts and decided that the most of the rumours and allegations upon which they based their boycott have been exaggerated or cant be substantiated.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What a ridiculous post.
The 7 other headmasters, held several meetings with the recalcitrant Dr Lambert,before deciding on that course of action.
I am certain that each Principal individually(and no doubt in consultation with their respective School boards) considered the issues in detail,before deciding their course of action.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe rather than getting cold feet a couple of headmaster have actually considered the facts and decided that the most of the rumours and allegations upon which they based their boycott have been exaggerated or cant be substantiated.

The reasons for this have been covered and none of them included satisfaction that coincidence rather than recruitment explained the situation.
In relation to ILTW's post I am told the doctor refuses to further discuss the issue with the other heads - perhaps his smartest move to date?
Another arguably tainted premiership is on the cards in a hitherto unexamined GPS sport, involving one of the usual suspects.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Why is it that when people have a different opinion, or seem to see nothing wrong with the success of Scots college, that you get rather upset and ask people to leave forum. You do sound a bit like one of these headmasters that make false accusations to start with, and then get upset when people voice opinions. You are lucky, it shouldn't offend you to the core, if it does though, I can only imagine how sportsman who put huge effort in to achieve what they see as important, told on this forum that it does not rate as highly as academic success and its not worth effort and resources to achieve it. I am sure that may offend lots of parents, because you are wrong, sport opportunity, is one of the most talked about reasons for sending kids to private schools. Beserker put the boot in, like everyone has in this forum when he sees one sided research and comments
No. Please see log #3876 again

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Why is it that when people have a different opinion, or seem to see nothing wrong with the success of Scots college, that you get rather upset and ask people to leave forum. You do sound a bit like one of these headmasters that make false accusations to start with, and then get upset when people voice opinions. You are lucky, it shouldn't offend you to the core, if it does though, I can only imagine how sportsman who put huge effort in to achieve what they see as important, told on this forum that it does not rate as highly as academic success and its not worth effort and resources to achieve it. I am sure that may offend lots of parents, because you are wrong, sport opportunity, is one of the most talked about reasons for sending kids to private schools. Beserker put the boot in, like everyone has in this forum when he sees one sided research and comments
Do you honestly think that somehow this was aimed at scots college???
This was fairly and squarely aimed at the fact that this person thinks that you don't or shouldn't have to put the effort in at school and still reap the benefits.
Lets look at a recent scots old boy by the name of David Horwitz. Studied hard, trained hard played hard. Didn't win a premiership or an Australian Schools jersey. He put his head down and continued with his work ethic, played Randwick 1st XV and a Waratahs tour came to him, all whilst studying and working as well as a night job delivering pizzas. Where do you think scots 1st XV sits on his resumé? Before or after his ATAR and his position of Senior Prefect???
This is something completely foreign to a lot of people thinking that they deserve rather than earn. I am tending to think that both you and berserker think that you deserve. Maybe an ex student like David can help berserker and you with the facts of life.

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
What a ridiculous post.
The 7 other headmasters, held several meetings with the recalcitrant Dr Lambert,before deciding on that course of action.
I am certain that each Principal individually(and no doubt in consultation with their respective School boards) considered the issues in detail,before deciding their course of action.
this is my exact point,, you spread rumours, maybesome refused to read evidence and to continue to bury head in sand. Because they don't want to see the evidence, but I am sure we will find out

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
this is my exact point,, you spread rumours, maybesome refused to read evidence and to continue to bury head in sand. Because they don't want to see the evidence, but I am sure we will find out
Was not intending anything either, just squaring up the ledger on common sense to make point, for the benefit of all schools. If everyone tones there attack down others will too. Not attacking you Brian, I am attacking some thought processes as a result of loose allegations on forum

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Professional success is hardly linked to an hsc mark. Research shows that people with strong EQ's generally have more success than those with high IQ's. I have always felt that the choice to send a child, make or female, to a private school is to give them a more rounded apedycation, and a structured environment that promotes respect for others and especially for the heirachy and system they are in. The kids in these environments are so fortunate to have the choice of pursuing academic, sport, music, arts, or even a combination of some or all of those things. So how about it's ok fir everyone to follow whatever pathway they choose. God knows we are paying plenty to have that choice.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Was not intending anything either, just squaring up the ledger on common sense to make point, for the benefit of all schools. If everyone tones there attack down others will too. Not attacking you Brian, I am attacking some thought processes as a result of loose allegations on forum

See post #3883.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Professional success is hardly linked to an hsc mark. Research shows that people with strong EQ's generally have more success than those with high IQ's. I have always felt that the choice to send a child, make or female, to a private school is to give them a more rounded apedycation, and a structured environment that promotes respect for others and especially for the heirachy and system they are in. The kids in these environments are so fortunate to have the choice of pursuing academic, sport, music, arts, or even a combination of some or all of those things. So how about it's ok fir everyone to follow whatever pathway they choose. God knows we are paying plenty to have that choice.
You are 100% correct if you are saying that the rest of a person's life does not depend entirely on their HSC mark. It is a little bit more important than winning a few sports trophies though. You're also correct about the varying opportunities for boys at these schools and the respect for their peers and the system.

Where the whole thing starts to come undone is when boys are brought in on the basis of their sporting ability, which contrary to the rules agreed to by all the schools. This hardly promotes respect for doing the right thing and following agreed to rules. Another thing that competitive sport instills is that by training hard and by good coaching a team can achieve much more than they possibly thought they could. Testing oneself against the best if you like. Bringing in ready made talent to plug perceived weaknesses instead of working with the talent available works against the stated values on many of the schools involved. It provides little incentive to improve the players that you have, when their is an easy way out. When taken to the extremes that we have seen 2 schools indulge in recently, it means the sporting team barely represents the student body of the school. It's essentially an elite academy team sponsored by the school.

These GPS schools have facilities and equipment that are best practice, coaches who market themselves as "super-coaches" and yet they need to import talent to win? Surely with all the advantages that they have, they can coach the players that they have and make those players the best they can be and make the team as good as it can be?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I do agree with some things you are saying, but even an A at school doesn't set you up for later- but sport like, learning teaches skills and confidence, and mateship that last a lifetime, and shouldn't be underestimated in value or worth.
You're 100% right with this. I certainly don't underestimate the value of sport to young people. It just needs to be kept in perspective.:)

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
IF some of the headmasters who boycotted Scots basketball in term 4, 2013 have now changed and intend to play them in term 1 , 2014 then I am looking forward to hearing their reasons. Doubt I ever will though. What a joke. Who's minding their schools?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The GPS has a wonderful tradition and xxxxxxxx, as a founding member seeks to be a very good member. Our GPS group of boys’ schools are to engage an independent firm in 2014 to develop a clearly articulated plan for the future. The GPS is a most valued sporting organisation for us and there are over 12,000 boys playing in a meaningful and well-run competition every Saturday under the GPS banner. The new strategic plan will seek to re-confirm core values and purpose, to modernise the GPS for our times, and to set a structured pathway for the future.

Interesting.

moneyball

Bob McCowan (2)
Not sure where that is coming from but not surprising given the Shore Headmaster wrote to parents last year and said :

" The Headmasters of the GPS Schools have decided to undertake an externally facilitated strategic

process to help us reach a common understanding of the educational role of games/sport in our

Schools and to re-establish and recommit to a Code of Conduct that reflects our educational beliefs.

The AAGPS motto, Unity in Diversity, reflects two truths: there are real philosophical, demographic

and enrolment differences between the schools and because sport is the most common interaction

between the schools it is the area where we must have the most common mind. This process will

begin early in the New Year."

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sorry about the presentation in the last post. Seemed to copy ok , but obviously didn't work too well.
Same thing has happened to me in the past:).

Possibly recent events in basketball and rugby have drawn into focus problems that need to be addressed. For any association to work, its members must have a common interest and apply common standards. The current situation whereby some schools strictly adhere to the code and some don't is clearly unsustainable in the long term.

Top Bottom