• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
To be fair TSC Cs, mostly, were playing SGS As and so on.
Therein lies the problem for the TSC parent. their boys would have been in the As normally but for the bursey students, so it is like for like.The downsizing of their rugby ambitions is obviously biting earlier at Scots with so many bursey players coming in at year seven and earlier.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Maybe we're closer in age than I thought: those two have joined Dick and Dora in the great educational trash heap, with Samuelson et al and AJP Taylor and amo, amas, amat.
Indeed. Interesting the way my son is learning Latin - very different to how it was done in my day. And better.
AJP Taylor - memories!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I missed this - but thanks to those forever wanting to give me the ammo (from inside the TSC tent) it was brought to my attention:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...012242898?nk=82211197eb9598db892065deda6a9128

Which prompted the following response from the good doctor (not cyclopath):
Dear Parents and Carers
Once again I am compelled to write to you to rebut the outrageous claims made in an article in this morning’s press.
It seems that sections of the media are determined to create and perpetuate the myth that Scots is somehow trying to undermine the GPS. Nothing could be further from the truth. Be in no doubt that the College remains deeply committed to the GPS.
My intention is to continue to bring you the real facts. Facts 1-4 were outlined in my letter last Tuesday.
Fact number 5:
The newspaper suggests that our 1st XV Rugby team conducted some form of elaborate ruse to manufacture the half-time score when Scots were yet to open an account. This is not a quote from another unnamed parent. It is not even the writer’s observation of facts. It is unfounded speculation that is unworthy of the publication and labels the boys and staff as cheats. This is a disgraceful slur on outstanding young men.
Fact number 6:
School fees are not used to subsidise the education of sports students. There are categorically no sports scholarships awarded at Scots. Some in the media have suggested that a bursary is simply a disguised sports scholarship. This is simply not true. All bursaries and indigenous scholarships are means-tested and funded from an educational Trust funded from bequests, donations and gifts. The College does not use tuition fees or government money to fund any type of scholarship.
To be absolutely clear, the College does not award any form of financial support based on a boy’s sporting performance. It is disappointing that people who have not taken the time to acquaint themselves with the facts assume that any boy entering The Scots College from Year 7 or later is selected for their sporting ability.
Fact number 7:
There certainly is not a ‘fierce rift’ developing within the school. This is an attempt by a newspaper to keep a story alive after their dire predictions of Rugby mismatches failed to materialise.
Fact number 8:
The newspaper concerned clearly didn’t check their facts. The final score was Scots 31 and Riverview 21, not 29-21 as reported.
In past years the College has conducted parent forums, presentations and spoken one-on-one with anyone seeking more information about the myths surrounding sports scholarships at Scots. If you have any concern about the truth of the above facts, please feel free to speak with Mr Tim Browning, Mr Andrew Potter, Mr John Crerar or myself and we will be happy to address your concern.
As a member of our College community you need to know when the character and reputation of the College is brought into question. I will continue to update you with the real facts as the need arises.
Yours sincerely
Dr Ian PM Lambert
Principal

The email was sent with the subject "Important facts from the principal".
I can't wait for the next instalment or
Fact 10: This fact has been left intentionally blank

The fact that this email was leaked to me suggests that not everyone is getting with the program.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
To be absolutely clear, the College does not award any form of financial support based on a boy’s sporting performance.

So all boys who have been approached by Scots staff (basketball and rugby) to join the school have entered the college with no financial support from TSC.
Well, it's a Christian school run by the Presbyterian church therefore this statement would not be fudging the truth at all.

OR - the financial support is dependent on means testing and sporting performance is coincidental.

OR - "does not award" means they used to but not now.

I think English teachers could have a field day "deconstructing" Dr Lambert's categorical assertions.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
To be absolutely clear, the College does not award any form of financial support based on a boy’s sporting performance.

So all boys who have been approached by Scots staff (basketball and rugby) to join the school have entered the college with no financial support from TSC.
Well, it's a Christian school run by the Presbyterian church therefore this statement would not be fudging the truth at all.

OR - the financial support is dependent on means testing and sporting performance is coincidental.

OR - "does not award" means they used to but not now.

I think English teachers could have a field day "deconstructing" Dr Lambert's categorical assertions.

Of course he may have no idea what is actually going on in his own school. Hogan!!!!!, yes colonel??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I missed this - but thanks to those forever wanting to give me the ammo (from inside the TSC tent) it was brought to my attention:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...012242898?nk=82211197eb9598db892065deda6a9128

Which prompted the following response from the good doctor (not cyclopath):

The email was sent with the subject "Important facts from the principal".
I can't wait for the next instalment or

The fact that this email was leaked to me suggests that not everyone is getting with the program.

Methinks someone should educate the good doctor as to the difference between fact and opinion. (At the very least, facts 5 and 7 are opinions.)

We all know that Newington have also been guilty of playing the scholarship game in search of glory (rugby 2012/3), but the difference in approach between the two Headmasters and two schools could not be any more stark.

I cannot recall Dr Mulford from NC making any public comment, appearing on radio or circulating any correspondence as in your post. (An e-mail sent to 2,000 plus parents/carers is essentially a public document). Any communication seems to have been kept within the GPS Headmasters.

There wasn't the indignant, shrill denials from the NC community that we have seen from Scots supporters or allegations that critics were trying to manufacture spurious allegations in some bizarre attempt to destroy the school. I'd say that a dignified silence worked in their favour for two years.

Every time Dr Lambert launches into one of his tirades of "facts" he creates more and more doubt and suspicion as to what is really going on. (To the extext that much doubt exists)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There wasn't the indignant, shrill denials from the NC community that we have seen from Scots supporters or allegations that critics were trying to manufacture spurious allegations in some bizarre attempt to destroy the school. I'd say that a dignified silence worked in their favour for two years.

NC's dignified silence is still working for them: no one is asking about their U16s - in particular those playing opens.
Or their U14s.
Or the sudden appearances, including from RBHS in Year 10 that continue. One doesn't need to be a genius to work out the connection there.
Or the addition of another league boy on a contract.
Of the fact that some claim there were the same number bursary boys on both sides of the 101-0 scoreline.
Nope - silence works very well for them!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And I'm still trying to work out why Dr Lambert chose to dignify the absurd suggestion that Scots deliberately went out to be behind at half time, with a comment. The indignation - it's just not a good look.

The courier mail had 2001 hits it would not have otherwise got

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Every time Dr Lambert launches into one of his tirades of "facts" he creates more and more doubt and suspicion as to what is really going on. (To the extext that much doubt exists)

The real casualties are the boys who don the Scots jersey.

GPS sport will survive this controversy. Rugby will survive the damaging media attention. But all boys who play at the elite level for Scots will be judged negatively by many in the rugby community. They will be tarnished by the assumption that TSC covered up its recruitment program.
It isn't the fact that some (is it still 60?) boys are said to have received financial assistance to play sport for TSC. The most disturbing issue is the obfuscation from TSC leadership, 3 of whom are now named by Dr Lambert.

Private schools can do what they want - that is why they are called independent. However all decisions have repercussions and the current crop of players may not receive the accolades they deserve.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
What does everyone think of Riverview putting their players history in the program? I was certainly surprised to see a few that obviously started in yrs 9,10 and even 11. Doesn't seem to send the message they want :D

Personally i would be more interested in seeing the institutions (and dates of attendance), of all varieties, that Riverview students attend post school.

Rumble

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally i would be more interested in seeing the institutions (and dates of attendance), of all varieties, that Riverview students attend post school.

It would be an interesting exercise to see how many private schools issue "non-sporting" and indigenous scholarships in year 11 and then promote those boys to Leadership positions in the school very quickly ahead of boys whose parents have been paying the very high fees since year 7 or even earlier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It would be an interesting exercise to see how many private schools issue "non-sporting" and indigenous scholarships in year 11 and then promote those boys to Leadership positions in the school very quickly ahead of boys whose parents have been paying the very high fees since year 7 or even earlier.

This is a new front. I've never hear this one mentioned before. Don't most schools (particuarly private ones) have elections for leadership positions - quite often based on prospective leaders addressing their peers and teachers?

Full marks for originality :)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is a new front. I've never hear this one mentioned before. Don't most schools (particuarly private ones) have elections for leadership positions - quite often based on prospective leaders addressing their peers and teachers?

Full marks for originality :)

I think the point is they dont do it - so why is it acceptable in other areas.
Its counter intuitive to need to go and find new "leaders" - but its happening: half the scholarships we talk about on here are "leadership scholarships".

B

Brumby Jack the 1st

Paying full fees doesn't entitle you to a position of leaderships, being a leader does, not saying they always get it right.....

Status
Not open for further replies.