• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
2016-11-14_3-33-53.jpg

High level of ruck involvements by Scotland’s Tight 5.
Wallabies missing Coleman’s contribution and Arnold well below his work rate from the Wales Test.
Wallabies Back Row showing their normal high work rate with good support from the Backs.

2016-11-14_3-34-20.jpg

High level of involvement from Scotland’s Front Rowers including replacements.
Pocock and Hooper combined for 44% of Wallabies DRIs.

2016-11-14_3-34-55.jpg

Scotland strongly committed to supporting own ball carriers and negating the impact of the Wallabies Back Row.

2016-11-14_3-35-14.jpg

Wallabies standing off a large number of Defence Rucks.
Both sides reluctant to commit >1 player to Defence Rucks.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
ForceFan - I am impressed by how much work Mumm did at the ruck by your figures.

He clearly came on knowing what he had to do for the remaining 35 minutes.
His intercept tackle on the sideline was very impressive.
His 6 tackles in 35 mins places him with the Wallabies leading tacklers for this game.

R Gray was the only Lock who made any impact as a ball carrier.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope you get paid for this work, mate.

Let's call it a "labour of love" because the Ruck Involvements are not available from anywhere else. Few of us have access to OPTA.
If anybody knows how to access this data for free would love to know about it.

The average test has 12 Scums, 24 Lineouts but 170 Rucks.

IMO, making calls on an individual player's performance, especially a Forward, without Ruck Data can be a bit problematic.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Let's call it a "labour of love" because the Ruck Involvements are not available from anywhere else. Few of us have access to OPTA.
If anybody knows how to access this data for free would love to know about it.

The average test has 12 Scums, 24 Lineouts but 170 Rucks.

IMO, making calls on an individual player's performance, especially a Forward, without Ruck Data can be a bit problematic.
Do you have a pathway to making money with your analysis skill? I'm sure a Premier Grade coach would be happy to use your skills, from there who knows.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I heard this from a few Scottish mates too, but in what world was a try from an easy missed tackle and one from a lucky bounce of a kick a dominant performance?

I know you make your own luck, but seriously.

More to the point, about 70% of the game was played in the Scottish half. No good judge of a game of rugby would consider that stat to be a dominant performance by Scotland.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
More to the point, about 70% of the game was played in the Scottish half. No good judge of a game of rugby would consider that stat to be a dominant performance by Scotland.

I think the Scotts have just really embraced 'the world is against us'.

In all fairness, plenty of Aussie fans do the same when the ABs beat us.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think the Scotts have just really embraced 'the world is against us'.

In all fairness, plenty of Aussie fans do the same when the ABs beat us.
Yes I don't think the scots are the only ones who play that game. Pi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
No please not, I was really enjoying the riveting debate of whether it was 2 or 3 Hail Mary's that Folau threw. But most of all I never tire of hearing how Foley fails to do this and that, especially after a win
Foley isn't Dan Carter, and never will be, but it's funny to see how highly he's thought of in Europe and how poorly he's thought of in Aus.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think Foley is thought of poorly, just that he has some weaknesses that can be a problem in certain games. But he isn't the only one in the Wallabies.

As an aside DHP strikes me as a more natural 12 than Hodge, and could take a lot of pressure off Foley's kicking.

Also Hodges play at 12 is similar to Kerevi, so not sure why we could have a KK centre combo when he is back. Could be a scary prospect for opposition teams

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
As an aside DHP strikes me as a more natural 12 than Hodge, and could take a lot of pressure off Foley's kicking.

Also Hodges play at 12 is similar to Kerevi, so not sure why we could have a KK centre combo when he is back. Could be a scary prospect for opposition teams

DHP's strength is kick chase and Hodge's is kicking. I think they'd both get to do less of it if they switched roles.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley isn't Dan Carter, and never will be, but it's funny to see how highly he's thought of in Europe and how poorly he's thought of in Aus.

I think it is the Steven Larkham effect, we seem to expect that every 10 should now chuck 15m miracle balls in each play.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Thanks to force fan I could work out total involvements.

Hooper’s work rate was down in the scotland game as it was in the Wales game.
Normally he is in the top 2 just behind Pocock.
Scotland game involvements of ball carries, tackles and rucks
Pocock – 70 (well ahead of anyone)
Simmons – 57
Hooper – 50 (just ahead of a hooker and behind a lock who played 8 mins less)
Moore – 47 (considering his scrum work load on top, this is very good).
Sio – 41
Timani – 39
Kepu – 37
Mumm – 36 (amazing for 35 mins work)
Arnold – 27

Adjusted to 83 mins (the lngth of the game) makes it worse for Hooper, just average involvements / workrate compared to the other forwards.
Mumm – 85
Pocock – 70
Simmons – 63
Timani – 53
Kepu – 50
Hooper – 50
Moore – 47
Sio – 47
Arnold – 47

It does seem like he needs a rest

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks to force fan I could work out total involvements.

Hooper’s work rate was down in the scotland game as it was in the Wales game.
Normally he is in the top 2 just behind Pocock.
It does seem like he needs a rest

Or the others have picked up their involvements and he doesn't have to carry the load himself.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is also natural variation in terms of the sections of the field where play the majority of phases take place.

It seems like a good opportunity to give McMahon a crack against France though and freshen Hooper up for the last couple of tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.