• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia - Sunday 26 November 1:30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I've watched the first half, Scotts played faster with more intensity, and this have them crossing the addline, breaking tackles, and offloading.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I will break my post into a two part job for this game and the tour as a whole.
As I posted before the game some time earlier this week, I expected the Scot forwards would dominate as the second row is far superior to the Wallabies, and I'd suggest that even the addition of a single Coleman figure would not change the fact that whoever has partnered him has been for most of the year, who ever it has been, largely a passenger. That is not to say the loss of him in the second row was not brutally exposed. I also thought the backrow as for most of this year is grossly underwhelming in actual power in contact, as opposed to work rate which doesn't actually measure anything about effectiveness. McMahon has some brilliant moments of ball in hand contact work but some fairly ineffectual moments as well, the same in defence. That said he is the only one that has actual in tight power in contact, Hanigan up to this point showed zero, plenty of workrate, lots, huge workrate, no effect, McCalman, slightly better, but as in every other test he has played against top opposition pretty much the same as Hanigan. Hooper massive workrate, tops the tackle count, metres run and most penalties and yellow cards. Am I surprised that they were totally outplayed by Scotland, who have as I said a very good pack, no, it was predictable when selecting such an unbalanced side with no real go forward. and one of the best tight ball runners in the side sitting on the bench in TPN. The pack also totally lacked any ability to combat the mauling of the Scots who I think successively drove for about 50M in this game (total).

Now even before the obvious excuse of the Red card to Kepu the Wallabies were struggling with the other point I mentioned through the week, the defensive structure. It doesn't matter who is selected in the side or where players are positioned, the line itself, the structure is so poor that all that is needed to generate an overlap is to go wide one way then swing back quickly cutting the midfield entirely and the Scots had innumerable overlaps, easily generated without even needing significant forward momentum at the first phase. They certainly didn't need multiple phases to catch the structure out. Some poor handling which the Scots didn't display against the ABs saved the Wallabies from a worse scoreline.

Kepu was slightly unlikely in his contact with the Scotish 7 in that the Scot was on his way down when Kepu came in, but slightly unlucky is as generous as I can be, it was reckless and even on first real time viewing I called it a red.

The Wallabies as they were against England will say they were in this and point to three tries and near parity on the scoreboard to near the end, they can kid themselves. They were never really in the game, they were outclassed totally, and the biggest part still comes back to my second point about defensive structure. From the Tahs to the Wallabies Grey's defensive work(structure and actual team execution of the plan) has been terrible since 2016. That's two sides with terrible outcomes. There is nowhere to hide from that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Or just leave Beale there and stick Hunt at fullback, being the obvious switch to everyone but Cheika.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not true D. I have been singularly unimpressed with Hunt on each of his involvements on tour, especially again with missed tackles in this game. ATM he is the most over-rated player in the Wallabies' group, and there are quite a few who don't play as well as they are largely rated in these threads. Again, I'll say that if Hodge is to be retained for his boot, then play him at 15. He would at least get an opportunity there to use his boot which the current game plan just doesn't accommodate. Most certainly, he is not a winger. Given the present squad, I'd go with Foley at 10, Beale at 12, Kuridrani at 13, Koriobete and Speight on the wings and Hodge at 15. Rona on the bench. Hunt has not yet earned a spot in the 23.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Second part :-

Statistic used in isolation to prove individual points and in individual circumstances/examples yield suspect and greatly questionable results. Over time however the errors that give rise to the poor results are removed and a trend builds.

The Wallabies have conceded record points against nearly every Tier 1 side they have played in the last two years and also against a couple of Tier 2 nations as well.

The Wallabies have been penalised far more than their opposition in many games and where penalties have on aggregate been of similar number they have been conceded in a manner which leads to people being yellow carded. Now I argue that the poor defensive structure (see above) creates a situation where defending players are always scrambling even 50 metres out to cover breaks so that they are consistently getting done for being offside. In this way it is my considered argument that the penalty count and its manner of acquisition is a structural artefact and not due to individual idiocy. I will put in one rider there, Beale, seriously you have to question the base intelligence of a player with over 60? caps who bats the ball out, (and please don't kid yourself and try to assert he was trying to scoop it up) the week after he is yellow carded for the intentional knock on he argued he tried to intercept with his hand above the ball so that the only motion it could take was down and forward. Sorry Beale the referees are not as intellectually challenged as you wish to believe.

I was a supporter of Chieka, and he was the only candidate for the job after the Coupe that saw Mackenzie resign. He remains the only clear candidate for the job in this country unfortunately. That said the results and his petulant childishness cannot be excused and I will say unreservedly that he is a worse coach than Robbie Deans, who we still cannot decipher much of what he talked about or the game plans. The facts are terrible things but the results and the stats over time speak volumes. Defence is a key, and the fact is Cheika appointed Grey, despite performances at the Tahs for three years. Does anybody question Cheika in the "group" at all do they all act like the game day coaches box noddy dog?

None of this matters because as Sean McMahon said, nobody in the "group" cares what anybody outside the "group" thinks or says, they know how good they are. Sean and the "group" can feel comforted by the fact that very few people in Australia care enough any longer to even think about the "group". Indeed even at board and executive level most are ex-players and Wallabies, getting a pay check as well so they certainly won't worry too much about outside opinion.

Finally one last point to consider in ending my rant. Has Michael Cheika produced any results at any side past a single complete season? Tahs - No. Wallabies No. Munster?
Stade - sacked (not that I put too much on that because the French, you know). Motivational speakers can only take you so far before the lack of substance shows up.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Start afresh next season, no one's spot is locked in. Part of our problem seems to be having a core group of players (especially in the backs) who we just systematically rotate if we're not playing well. Shouldn't be afraid to drop players who have been in the side for a while for those that's are in form.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not true D. I have been singularly unimpressed with Hunt on each of his involvements on tour, especially again with missed tackles in this game. ATM he is the most over-rated player in the Wallabies' group, and there are quite a few who don't play as well as they are largely rated in these threads. Again, I'll say that if Hodge is to be retained for his boot, then play him at 15. He would at least get an opportunity there to use his boot which the current game plan just doesn't accommodate. Most certainly, he is not a winger. Given the present squad, I'd go with Foley at 10, Beale at 12, Kuridrani at 13, Koriobete and Speight on the wings and Hodge at 15. Rona on the bench. Hunt has not yet earned a spot in the 23.

The obvious problem with that setup is that there is only one kicker in the back three. I'd probably ditch Speight and stick DHP straight back in as soon as he's fit (underrated loss imo).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, you are a revelation. A pretty flower in the top right hand corner of your posts shows that it is not imperative for Tahs' supporters to excuse and rationalise for the failings of the team which in large part are down to coaching and selections.

You've been on these threads for some time and I assume that the actually read what other people post before making comments like this. Assuming for a moment that you've read anything that I've posted over the years, but I'll give you summary: When I think the Waratahs are playing badly or being coached badly I'll say so, when I think that they are playing and/or being coached well I'll say so. Same with the Wallabies. When I think that Waratahs players play well for the Wallabies, I'll say so and if they play badly I'll acknowledge that. The same goes for referees and administrators. There's been nothing wrong with the referees on this tour - the only dud has been the incompetant who did the Barbarians v Wallabies game. In terms of Michael Cheika, I think he's the best available coach at the moment. I'll again make the observation that I was a lone voice in the wilderness in advocating Eddie Jones for the job post Link on the basis that Cheika had unfinished business at the Waratahs and was probably 2 or 3 years short of being ready for the Wallaby job. I don't agree with all his selections - some are quite odd as I've expressed from time to time. I also think that he does himself no favours with his antics in the coach's box and some of the thing he says at press conferences. What I will also say in his defence is that the state of the game of rugby in Australia at the moment is as weak as any time in the 50 years that I've followed the game. The administrators have allowed a situation to develop where the base of the game has slowly withered over the past 20 years. The results which we are seeing now at the professional level is a direct consequence of this. Our super sides were appalling in 2017 and there is a direct link to Wallabies performances. Broadly speaking, I think Cheika has done as well as anyone could have in the circumstances and I strongly doubt whether any other available person could achieve any better - in fact the evidence is they would probably be much worse; Larkham, MaGann, Graham, Foley, Gibson, Stiles- there just aint no saviour out there. Two years ago I predicted where we would be now in terms of results and have described it as the new normal on many occasions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Here's the new world rankings:

1 New Zealand 93.99
2 England 90.87
3 (↑4) Ireland 86.39
4 (↓3) Australia 85.49 (-1.80)
5 South Africa 84.90
6 Scotland 84.11 (+1.80)
7 Wales 80.98
8 France 78.77

The 6 nations is going to be interesting. From the November tests I reckon both Scotland and Ireland have been more impressive than England. England run the risk of catching Eddie-itis (playing one dimensionally). We could well be pushed down to 5th with all of England, Ireland and Scotland above us, and Ireland could be pushing England for #2.

21 wins out of 22 matches. Oh that the Wallabies could catch Eddie-itis.

notapatrioticboneinme

Sydney Middleton (9)
you cant train mongrel out of players. While you want your players to demonstrate guts, mongrel comes from habits learned long ago and they come out when the going gets tough. Kepu is a great athlete, but a bit too much of a mongrel player with that shoulder charge imo.

Yes this shoulder charge was bad but as for Kepu being a mongrel, lets say i'm wiping off my afternoon muesli from the monitor. sorry but i find that ridiculous Oh how i wish he had some mongrel in him, he's a friggin 'gentle giant' mate

notapatrioticboneinme

Sydney Middleton (9)
I thank the Wallabies for giving me a couple of hours back on this lovely Sunday morning, as I strangely have zero desire to watch what I recorded, and have now deleted. Now if only my Achilles tendon wasn't so bloody sore I'd go for a nice walk.

I'd suggest you try heel-raises (if you are not already) but an article has shown evidence that heel-raises might not decrease the load withing the tendon. And another article demonstrates how the achilles tendon is actually 3 separate tendons moving independently of each other. all the best

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
21 wins out of 22 matches. Oh that the Wallabies could catch Eddie-itis.
Yes but throw in 6 games v the all blacks and see how his strike rate looks. They deserve to be #2 right now, im not disputing that. Whether they stay there beyond 2017 remains to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I reckon I could nearly draft a book on what is wrong and why it is wrong with Australian Rugby.

We probably all could have a go, but all those differing opinions would still fall on deaf ears.

Cheika "lost" the team about 18 months ago during the mid year tests. Sure he is supported by his nucleus of "favourites" and the blokes who would never have been picked by any well balanced HC. He tries to buy loyalty of players through selection.

He then becomes devoid of criticism from within.

The biggest problem that the players have when they run on the paddock is attitude. How to get it, how to keep it. Nathan Grey wouldn't recognise the word, it is not in his vocabulary, so has no idea on it's implementation . But Chek is equally if not more responsible than Grey.

It will be interesting moving forward.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
you have some phenomenal insights into the relationships and the psychological state of the players.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd suggest you try heel-raises (if you are not already) but an article has shown evidence that heel-raises might not decrease the load withing the tendon. And another article demonstrates how the achilles tendon is actually 3 separate tendons moving independently of each other. all the best

I'm a heel-raise (or in fact a heel lowering) in front of you. ;) Thanks for the tip; cheers! :)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Obviously we are focussed on the WBs, I have been anyway.

So this is a tad belated:

WELL DONE SCOTLAND! Lined the WBs up, super planning, effective enough to not just win but to utterly eradicate your opposition.

Well deserved win, hard to believe you don’t outrank us.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
If they deserve praise for beating the all blacks(which they did IMO) then they deserves criticism for losing twice to Scotland. That’s how it works, the the glory comes with the pain. As wallabies coach he is either responsible or he isn’t.
So let me ask this question: is the uniquely poor state of our super rugby teams not a mitigating factor in assessing Cheika as coach of the Wallabies?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So let me ask this question: is the uniquely poor state of our super rugby teams not a mitigating factor in assessing Cheika as coach of the Wallabies?

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, only a pretty small one, I would say. I think they were a bit off the pace fitness-wise at the start of the Test season, but that's about it. Otherwise, not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.