• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So you can't replace with a backrower and have uncontested scrums, which you'd have anyway?

It seems that if the prop comes off for blood or concussion a backrower could come on for a period of time and there would be uncontested scrums but then if the prop can't retake the field, the backrower would have to leave the field at the expiration of the blood/concussion time frame.

There'd then be 14 players on the field and still uncontested scrums. It seems like a bit of a furphy considering if any non front row replacement was injured they could be replaced by another reserve.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Mario Ledesma is going to the Pumas, the ARU should hire the current scrum coach of the Pumas, Emiliano Bergamaschi or someone recommended by Mario

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great article on the front page of the Blog about the illegal scrummaging in the Soap Dodgers vs The Boyos game. http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/?p=87053

It has been picked up by some of the NH press and is gaining some momentum "up there". http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-world-cup-analysis-wales-10158329

Jonathan Kaplan has also weighed in on #IllegalEnglandScrum. Several tweets on @RefJK

The power of twitter.:)

Is Pythagoras Marler more of a cheat than Invisibility McCaw?

"I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when England Rugby scrum illegally."

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Challenge: fastest to be blocked by @JoeMarler due to repeated accusations of cheating and referring to his as "Pythagoras".

If Cheika and co. won't do it via the media, us great unwashed can certainly do it directly!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Obviously the pressure must be getting to him, and we all know the issues that can arise from players twittering.

Maybe he genuinely doesn't know that he is cheating.

He may be under the impression that he is doing precisely what his scrum coach is telling him to do, and therefore if the Coach wants it, it can't be cheating.

T

TOCC

90% of props will break the rules, the rules of scrummaging are that convoluted that it's hard to be a dominant scrummager without cheating/breaking the rules.

The difference is that the really good scrummagers are able to chat without getting caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No, he fully knows its only cheating if you get caught. Until then, its rugby.

Maybe but Pythagoras Marler was caught and shown up just like Hans Christian Anderson foretold in "The Emperor's New Clothes".

He was not straight in any scrum that I saw in the AUS v ENG RWC pool game. The TV Director seemed to use every angle they could to obfuscate the illegal scrummaging from both him and Mako "The Hinge" Vunipola. Only two overhead spidercam views were shown (Scrums 1 and 4 IIRC), and then only briefly and never replayed. Perhaps they knew.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Marler looks like that overgrown kid in year 5 that sat at the back of the classroom throwing stuff at people and drawing all over his arms.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Any props available to answer a question by a non-player? I'm curious about how heads are used in the scrum.

Background to the question, and the question: Didn't have rugby in the States where I grew up, but we did have (real) wrestling, and that was my sport. (And I'm a lightweight, so I'd never pack a scrum in the first place.) One thing we'd do in a tie-up situation is use the forehead like a lever. If you have the right bind/grip, and your forehead in the right space between the opponent's jaw/neck/collarbone (with your neck and back straight), you can pretty much just drag a person flat to the ground while you stay in a strong position. If you've ever watched Randy Couture fight mma, he did something similar when he'd pin someone against the fence, but almost in the opposite way -- he'd use it to hold his opponent up so he could strike, instead of grabbing and using it to pull his opponent down (and Couture was an Olympic-level wrestler).

So since #ScrumStraightJoe and the extra analyses available on what props are doing, I've been wondering about this every time I see a scrum. It almost seems like a LHP wouldn't need to angle out if he was using or could use his head in that way, because it causes a kind of chain reaction that takes the opponent right out of position -- i.e. you could achieve similar ends through legal means.

Is that kind of thing taught or coached? Is it even possible in a scrum? I'll never know first-hand, so I'm asking you experts.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
How Australia woke from their scrum nightmare:

Go back a couple of years, or even just one, and the idea of Australia opting to take a scrum when awarded a free-kick against England would have been laughable. But that’s exactly what Wallabies skipper Stephen Moore did 48 minutes into last weekend’s clash at Twickenham.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries...stralia-woke-from-their-scrum-nightmare-50238

Super Mario is the man!

Great article.The names Rodrigo Roncero, Mario Ledesma and Martin Scelzo stand out like dog's balls. That's about the best front row of all time.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any props available to answer a question by a non-player? I'm curious about how heads are used in the scrum.

Is that kind of thing taught or coached? Is it even possible in a scrum? I'll never know first-hand, so I'm asking you experts.

In simple terms: as a loosehead prop should aim to get the back of his head into the THP's solar plexus region, and simultaneously use your binds to lever your skull up into their rib cage, while trying to pin their chin to their chest.

Most uncomfortable.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cheika seems to have an evil streak

The change in scrum fortunes has led many experts to describe the Wallabies as the World Cup real deal.
But Kepu said the work was done when Cheika had an eight-man forward pack pushing against 10 other players at intense training sessions.
The Wallabies scrum was down to seven men against Wales and the Red Dragons could see blood as they packed down and tried to push Australia backwards. Instead, the lighter pack held strong and proved to be an immovable object.
"Sometimes you're in a scrum [at training] and you think, 'I can't move this thing'," Kepu sad. "You're giving it everything and then they call 'break' and the scrum goes for almost a minute. Then you find that they had extra guys. That's a 'Cheik' tactic. He gets extra flankers on the opposition scrum.
"You're almost blowing a gasket just trying to move 10 guys. Cheik started it last year, getting all the backs to come in for scrummaging sessions and clap us … To get that recognition from our backs means more to us than anything.
"To have the ability to hold [Wales] out with seven guys [in the scrum] and a man short in the backs, that just shows the belief and trust we have in the team."
Kepu says the challenge for the Wallabies is to back up their scrum performance again to show that it is no longer the weak part of their game.
"We can be our own worst enemy and we can't let that happen," Kepu said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/michael-cheikas-wallabies-tricks-revealed-for-rugby-world-cup-quarterfinal-against-scotland-20151011-gk6jfh.html#ixzz3oLrKtlw2

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's gold. Training like you mean to play and every now and then creating more extreme situations to get more out of each player seems a reasonable strategy.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Having 2 genuinely good front rows would make a hell of a lot of difference at scrum training. I would think that in previous years there'd only be so much pressure they could put on in opposed training before the weakest link folded.

Status
Not open for further replies.