• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Semi 2: Stormers vs Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianRugby

As strange as it is to say this, I think Chariots Carter might be a key to this game. I haven't watched many of the Stormers games, but someone said they use the drift defense instead of the rush, and I have noticed that they spread out very well and usually have two or three tacklers waiting around the 10 channel and tighter.

I reckon the Tahs really need Carter hitting that channel hard, running his lines straight and all that stuff he does pretty well. If he does then maybe they can cause the Stormers so not shift as quickly and open up some room for Beale, Turner and Mitchell. Of course that only works if Carter gets support and doesn't get smashed by Burger & co. which I realize is a big ask.

Go the Tahs! I'll be watching, and since I'm in the Great White North, I won't have to stay up till some ungodly hour to do it.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
What the hell was that?

It looked like they caught the same disease the Hurricanes had last week.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
piss weak.

there were some 'external' contributing factors, but the main problem was the Tahs themselves.

Might comment more once I've watched it again

shit

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
De Jong and Dewaldt was huge tonite. Vok got myself a driver and stuck in the traffic but happy like a nun in a cucomber land! Sowhereto here we come!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
happy like a nun in a cucomber land! Sowhereto here we come!

Why would a nun be happy in a cucomber land? Better question what is cucomber land?

Any event the Stormers really showed why the have had the least amount of points scored against them. However the Waratahs tried the same tactic over and over again.
Surely someone should have noticed that it wasn't working.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well, the better team on the night won, that's for sure. I hope they can go all the way now.

I still believe Barnes kicks a tad too much and the attempted drop goal when the Tahs had the momentum in attack puzzled me as well. The Tah's weren't that bad, they were up against a brutal defensive outfit.

How good is that Juan De Jong? Man of the match for sure.

S

simonr

Some thoughts from the replay
why dud sanzar let George Michael ref this game?
Tahs could still be playing and wouldn't have scored yet
stormers are the best at pushing the boudaries of the rules, creeping up in D, sealing off the rucks, playing the ball in the ruck. But they get away with it
is it waughs call to keep hitting it up one out when it's clearly not working? Is it time we change captain? How would you do that without stoping him? Who can play 7 at this level?
Baxter is still an easy option for a ref to end a series of scrum resets
well played stormers, I hope they win it as it would be good to get a new title holder

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
De Jong and Dewaldt was huge tonite. Vok got myself a driver and stuck in the traffic but happy like a nun in a cucomber land! Sowhereto here we come!

Well done Stormers and Paarl, just far good in defence, no go forward from the Tahs was allowed so no win. The Stormer put pressure on the Tahs all night and that forced them into errors as their basic skills let them down.

spectator said:
Well, the better team on the night won, that's for sure. I hope they can go all the way now.

I still believe Barnes kicks a tad too much and the attempted drop goal when the Tahs had the momentum in attack puzzled me as well. The Tah's weren't that bad, they were up against a brutal defensive outfit.

How good is that Juan De Jong? Man of the match for sure.

Barnes had no other option off back foot ball at times, kick or pass the pressure to someone else.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Ah shit.

OK, some thoughts, for what they are worth.

1. Ref was fine. Completely clueless at the scrum like most refs, and let the Stormers stand a metre offside at the ruck, but otherwise, whatever.

2. Palmer was awful, Tilse was brilliant. Again. This is the biggest rugby surprise to me in a long time.

3. I reckon the place to run was almost exactly over the ruck. Pick'n'fucken'go boys. Or throw it 1 metre to the side of the ruck. Throwing it 5 metres never worked, never looked like working. Stormers defence was punishing.

4. Backs gave it their best shot but geting through the Stormers from the back foot is almost impossible.

A valiant effort, but they got knocked on their arses.

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree 100% Scarfy.
Can't whinge about backs when the forwards couldn't get em on the front foot. What looks like aimless one out running is an attempt to get over the advantage and get quick recycle. It just wasn't allowed to happen. Stormers were brilliant in defence and around the fringes. Tossing it wide when you haven't earned the right to do it leads to disaster. Witness the last 10mins.
Tilse was no surprise to me and neither was Palmer. Palmer really needs to work on his defence and work around the park. It's a bit tough to criticise his scrummaging as he is really a THP and has played very little at LH. Put him on the other side and he will go well. But Tilse has certainly proven that he is a S14 level LHP. Good on him. His persistence against a lot of setbacks is incredible.
Baxter, Waugh and TPN were our best.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Let the Hickey apologists step forward and bravely defend your man because fuck me sideways, he needs defending now.

Agreed The Stormers were the better team and deserved to win. But they were given an easy ride by a team devoid of ideas, innovation and, most sadly, skill. Who devised the game plan? Who couldnt see it wasnt working? Who forgot that the steps forward in the past few eeks had been made by playing wide, expansive running rugby? Who didnt therefore change the game plan? Who couldnt realise that Barnes was having a shocker and make some changes? Who thought it a great idea to keep pretty much the same team on the park until it was too late? Who thought it would be a good idea to make a rash of changes with 7 minutes left? Who thought it would do Hanagahu's confidence, self-worth and commitment to the Tahs cause the power of good to give him a token 2 mins of football at the end. Who didnt think it would be a good idea to give the ball to the wingers try let them finish the job on Aplon that Bakkies started?

Appalling, absolutely fucking appalling.

Congrats to the Tahs for getting this far. Abysmal way to finish up yet again.

S

simonr

TheRiddler said:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Let the Hickey apologists step forward and bravely defend your man because fuck me sideways, he needs defending now.

Agreed The Stormers were the better team and deserved to win. But they were given an easy ride by a team devoid of ideas, innovation and, most sadly, skill. Who devised the game plan? Who couldnt see it wasnt working? Who forgot that the steps forward in the past few eeks had been made by playing wide, expansive running rugby? Who didnt therefore change the game plan? Who couldnt realise that Barnes was having a shocker and make some changes?

not a huge hickey fan, but where does waughs responsibility lie in this regard? I noticed him marshalling forwards to keep hitting it up one out, even when they were getting smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.