• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks vs Stormers r3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks: 15 Louis Ludik, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Paul Jordaan, 12 Francois Steyn (c), 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Patrick Lambie, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Jean Deysel, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Anton Bresler, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Craig Burden, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Kyle Cooper, 17 Wiehahn Herbst, 18 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 19 Jacques Botes, 20 Charl McLeod, 21 Meyer Bosman, 22 Odwa Ndungane.
Stormers: 15. Joe Pietersen, 14. Gio Aplon, 13. Jean de Villiers (c), 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Bryan Habana, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Duane Vermeulen, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Siya Kolisi, 5. Andries Bekker, 4. De Kock Steenkamp, 3. Frans Malherbe, 2. Deon Fourie, 1. Steven Kitshoff.
Replacements: 16. Martin Bezuidenhout, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Don Armand, 19. Nizaam Carr, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Peter Grant, 22. Gerhard van den Heever

19:10 SA Time - Saturday 2 March 2013 at Kings Park, Durban
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa)
AR1: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
AR2: Cobus Wessels (South Africa)
TMO: Shaun Veldsman (South Africa)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Tough match this for the Stormers, bonuspoint will be a bonus. Sharks in better form, homegame, Steyn back, Stormers Ysterbethless and combinations not that well gelled. Would preferred to have Carr/Duvenhage on the bench at the very least.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I remember during week 1 all the Saffers complained about boring Aus derbies. Well the 2 biggest SA derbies Bulls/Stormers and Sharks/Stormers have been the 2 worst games.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez,I quite enjoyed the game, not a hell of a lot of ball movement, but pretty tough contest!

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
I think a lot of you would do well to switch to sevens, if all youre looking for is running rugby. Rugby has been played this way for over a centuary now, and most purists have absolutely no issue with it. geezus the 2011 rwc must have been a bore-athon for you too?

I dont think we can blame you too much, considering that youre a nation of powderpuffs that shy away from the tight stuff, but could never quite run it like the AB's. I can see why you would want to remove diversity from rugby and force everyone to play within the self imposed borders you 'fans' have imposed for your club and national teams, atleast that way you would be the 2nd best rugby nation.

I pity your players and coaching staff.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What a load of rubbish.

I don't mind a hard, physical game but this wasn't it. It was dominated by poor kicks and dropped balls, with neither side skilful or willing enough to attack with any intelligence.

The Sharks and Stormers are both good sides who I normally enjoy watching, but not this time.

Don't kid yourself for a second though this was 'hard' rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think a lot of you would do well to switch to sevens, if all youre looking for is running rugby. Rugby has been played this way for over a centuary now, and most purists have absolutely no issue with it. geezus the 2011 rwc must have been a bore-athon for you too?

I dont think we can blame you too much, considering that youre a nation of powderpuffs that shy away from the tight stuff, but could never quite run it like the AB's. I can see why you would want to remove diversity from rugby and force everyone to play within the self imposed borders you 'fans' have imposed for your club and national teams, atleast that way you would be the 2nd best rugby nation.

Nah I enjoyed it actually, I was more just pointing ou the Saffers who cringe at Aussie derbies as boring. It was very physical but so are Aus derbies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Cheetahs fan hey? They have the worst pack in SA and have been trying to throw it around like us but don't have half a brain cell between to come up with a move that might deceive anyone. Must be hard to follow given your love of 10 man rugby.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
It was a hard, physical game but way too many errors from both teams. Ball security has been very disappointing in the first two weeks of SA derbies (and most of the other games I've watched in fact). I'd love to know the stats on lineouts lost on own throw across the board in the first 3 weeks versus previous seasons, as I honestly can't remember the lineouts being as much of a shambles as they have been in the last few weeks!

Those of you who thought that the Waratahs vs Rebels game on Friday night was any more entertaining than this one are kidding yourselves though.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Fully agree qwerty51. In SA, we are fortunate to have all the games played at resonable hours, so I can quite easily watch all games live every week. With that said, im not so sure everyone bothers to record and watch the games, in which there were a couple of good tries that never came off. now to the chap who sees the final score, doesnt bother to even watch the game and never gets the chance to see that chip kick which, if aplon held on to, would have been a beaut of a try, or the sharks backline move that was unfortunately too flat.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Those of you who thought that the Waratahs vs Rebels game on Friday night was any more entertaining than this one are kidding yourselves though.

Yes as a matter of fact it was. It was more skilful and both teams actually looked like they wanted to score points (let alone tries). And frankly the levels of physicality were about even.

There have been some dire Aussie derby games in recent times, but that was not one of them. And to compare it to a rabble of a game with a 12-6 scoreline? Please.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Cheetahs fan hey? They have the worst pack in SA and have been trying to throw it around like us but don't have half a brain cell between to come up with a move that might deceive anyone. Must be hard to follow given your love of 10 man rugby.
Must be why they beat 3 out of 4 Aus teams last year and came within a controversial penalty of losing to the 4th.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
That's the thing that shits me about Saffa games like this one. There is always a couple every year. Instead of calling it a shitty game with no skills, it's a 'brutal physical contest'. Anyone who disagrees is obviously not a 'purist' and thus hates rugby and should go and play 7s.

At least in Aus we can acknowledge when two of our teams produce a steaming load of a game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
now to the chap who sees the final score, doesnt bother to even watch the game and never gets the chance to see that chip kick which, if aplon held on to, would have been a beaut of a try, or the sharks backline move that was unfortunately too flat.

Yeah but that's the thing- he dropped the fucking kick. And that was the closest either team came to scoring all game.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
There have been some dire Aussie derby games in recent times, but that was not one of them. And to compare it to a rabble of a game with a 12-6 scoreline? Please.
The Rebels and Waratahs have had comparable defensive stats with the Stormers and Sharks in the last couple of seasons haven't they? You're not comparing apples with apples.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The Rebels and Waratahs have had comparable defensive stats with the Stormers and Sharks in the last couple of seasons haven't they? You're not comparing apples with apples.

What do the last couple of seasons have to do with it? And I'm sure the defensive stats from the SA game are better than the Tahs game, but there is a reason for that- in the Sharks game neither team tested the opposition defensive line at any time in 80 minutes. It is a fair bit easier to defend 80 minutes of pick and drive and one-out forward runners then a backline running at depth and pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.