• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sharks vs Stormers r3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
If the SA games were so much more physical, they would smash the Aussie sides physically - but they don't. Isn't it really a very conservative mindset and aversion to risk?

As an AB fan, I am quite happy the mindset of a large number of SA rugby player and supporters is all so focused on "smashing them". It is only one aspect of rugby.

Look at this article on recent article Keo - it is hilarious
http://keo.co.za/2013/03/02/brutal-bakkies-terrorises-toulouse/

It doesn't speak for all SA supporters, but it says a lot about the mentality of many.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
What do the last couple of seasons have to do with it?

You're comparing two separate games with a sole criterion of points (or tries) scored when one game consists of two notoriously defensive teams and the other, teams notorious for conceding points.

2012 Points Conceded:

Stormers 254
Sharks 348
Total: 602

Waratahs 407
Rebels 520
Total: 927
Without trying to predict any results, I can guarantee that if one team from each game was switched from these two games on the weekend there would have been a lot more points scored in total.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
There is no point in arguing, neither of us will change the others POV. Just have to watch how the season pans out, then we can do the annual analysis to find the weakest conference. @Barb, do you play Superbru? Cant find you in the GAGR pool?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But see for me the quality of a game has nothing to do with points scored or conceded. It doesn't have anything to do with the nationality of the teams playing, or who I support. It has to do with attitude. If both sides have a positive attitude, if they want to score points and go about this in a strategic and relatively skilful manner then it will be a good game.

The Bulls played a physical game, but still managed to score points. They spread the ball to the wings, they punched it up close to the rucks. They played with a clear game plan and whilst it wasn't perfect they still played attractive rugby.

Neither the Sharks nor the Stormers had a clear and intelligent game plan. They kicked indiscriminantly and poorly. They rarely spread the ball beyond the centres, and when they did it was with no subtlety or depth. It seemed like both sides had accepted the fact it would be a dull, grinding game before the kick-off and just decided to go with it. Except neither side even played good grinding rugby- they dropped the ball, they fluffed lineouts and missed kicks.

And the SA conference may well prove to be the best conference, or the worst. I am not trying to make a larger point about the SA teams. The Sharks and Stormers are good teams. But that doesn't change the fact that this game sucked.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There is no point in arguing, neither of us will change the others POV. Just have to watch how the season pans out, then we can do the annual analysis to find the weakest conference. @Barb, do you play Superbru? Cant find you in the GAGR pool?

Yeah my name is HCav. Tipped 2/7 last week, and 7/7 this week. I am the France of tipping.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
I watched this game right after the Bulls-Force game (duh.) and the difference between the games were stark.

Both the Sharks and the Stormers played very well in defence with good positive tackling and counter-rucking. The force would to very well to watch this game to see how you defend a maul in positive manner instead of trying to be too clever about it and being caught out. The bulls can learn how to attack the tackled ball in defence instead of limply waiting to a mistake.

In attack I thought the Stormers started pretty well with excellent kicks to manipulate the sharks defence around the field and the Sharks were very direct in the 9-10-12 channels of the stormers. Unfortunately after the first 30 the teams responded in defence and neither team were able to respond with a new idea.

I don't care much for attacking intent or the brutality of the game, what I want to see some quality. Overall the game had decent quality (not quite good enough), but it was far from terrible.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The way this one play out is more then just dull rugby or whatever. Both coaches knew very well the importance of the logpoints in this one. The Sharks just wanted to grind out a home win against the Stormers because they knew they just have to win it. The Stormers surprised me in this match. They improved since last week and got at least 1 point for their effort. This week come our real test and a must win against the champions and also my favourate NZ side.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If the SA games were so much more physical, they would smash the Aussie sides physically - but they don't. Isn't it really a very conservative mindset and aversion to risk?

As an AB fan, I am quite happy the mindset of a large number of SA rugby player and supporters is all so focused on "smashing them". It is only one aspect of rugby.

Look at this article on recent article Keo - it is hilarious
http://keo.co.za/2013/03/02/brutal-bakkies-terrorises-toulouse/

It doesn't speak for all SA supporters, but it says a lot about the mentality of many.
This.

And it holds us back becuase teams like the Stormers and Bulls have head coaches who come from the "smash 'em" school with no value placed on finesse. (Although as pointed out, the Bulls are at least trying and seem to use the words "angle" and "line" at training).

Both teams came with a conservative plan this weekend. The Sharks did so with intent. The Stormers did so because that is all they can do. They do it well mind you, but there is no plan B.

If you had to make a video of Stormers back running angles or straightening the line over the last year, it will fit an old Commodore diskette. Forward up, forward up, crab the the touchline, forward up, forward up, kick. It's fucking horrible to watch because look at the quality of players they have in the backline. Wasted.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
One thing I've noticed watching South Africans play rugby is that they are far more willing to run the ball without adequate support players. Sometimes they break the line and buy themselves some time, but a lot of the time they get turned over.

You can get away with it against other south african teams, but when playing teams who are good on the ball it can lead to disaster.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This.

And it holds us back becuase teams like the Stormers and Bulls have head coaches who come from the "smash 'em" school with no value placed on finesse. (Although as pointed out, the Bulls are at least trying and seem to use the words "angle" and "line" at training).

Both teams came with a conservative plan this weekend. The Sharks did so with intent. The Stormers did so because that is all they can do. They do it well mind you, but there is no plan B.

If you had to make a video of Stormers back running angles or straightening the line over the last year, it will fit an old Commodore diskette. Forward up, forward up, crab the the touchline, forward up, forward up, kick. It's fucking horrible to watch because look at the quality of players they have in the backline. Wasted.
Frans Steyn play bash up rugby in 12, much like Meisiekind and de Allende.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Frans Steyn play bash up rugby in 12, much like Meisiekind and de Allende.

Sure, but he can offload and pass. Meisiekind can offload but not pass, de Allende - no idea becuase I have only seen him with ball in hand about twice (the Stormers forwards are always taking the ball on his inside).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sure, but he can offload and pass. Meisiekind can offload but not pass, de Allende - no idea becuase I have only seen him with ball in hand about twice (the Stormers forwards are always taking the ball on his inside).
Last year the Sharks had Whitehead most of the season, he is more a distributor.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah well he can't get into the Kings starting team so little surprise he is gone.
Tim Whitehead? He's still at Sharks, just out with a fractured arm.

Not that I agree with PB. IMO the Sharks started to hit their best form last year when Steyn was at 12.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Tim Whitehead? He's still at Sharks, just out with a fractured arm.

Not that I agree with PB. IMO the Sharks started to hit their best form last year when Steyn was at 12.
Oh.

Well.

OK then. How dare he break his arm :)

Yeah but Paarl is arguing to try and detract from the fact that the Goats can't attack for shit.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh.

Well.

OK then. How dare he break his arm :)

Yeah but Paarl is arguing to try and detract from the fact that the Goats can't attack for shit.
nah not at all Boetie, I am worried about the way SA use their 12s. All of them are bashers. Whitehead seem to be a bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.