• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should Pocock have to earn back his starting spot?

Who should start at 7 against the Welsh?

• Hooper

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Pocock

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Gill (So Scotty doesn't think this is another conspiracy)

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
We've all seen how much better Hooper has been playing recently compared to the other Australian forwards (and backs for that matter) but has he done enough to solidify himself as the starting Australian 7 against the Welsh?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think Pocock should be in the 23. Hooper and Gill and have done fine in his absence.

This is the teams up week so a big victory is on the cards. Helped by the Welsh having been very disappointing since the 6N's.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think pocock deserves a spot in the squad but Hooper has been outstanding and unless injured he should start.

Sent using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pocock should be eased back in with 15-20 minutes off the bench at the end of the game. Depending on the state of the game, he could either replace Hooper or come on at 6 or 8.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
No Player should ever come back from injury straight into the starting side just on their name, they need to earn their spot like anyone else. Start him on the bench and give him the last 15 minutes, no point playing him more in a test which does not really mean anything for Australia and risk further injury with the Lions Tour just around the corner.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Back via the bench for mine. If selecting based on performance means anything at all, then we should be starting Hooper. He's been so clearly our best player in the last few months that I think it would be a travesty to drop him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I don't really see the point in playing Pocock. It's not like he needs to get ready for the following week. It's the last game of thee year and Hooper and Gill have done a good job. Let Pocock finish off his European holiday without the chance of him injuring himself and being out for the start of next year.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I can think of a point in playing Pocock. He is the incumbent Wallabies captain, and has been our best player for the last 2 years and had done nothing to lose his spot except get injured. He is all class and needs to be given the opportunity of losing his spot by consistently playing worse than Hooper.

He saved our arse on so many occasions we need to show him some respect. As far as the Question goes - play him off the bench.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
Trust me I do get the difference between Hooper and Phipps, but the point I was trying to make is that i think Pocock deserves the right to have a shot at proving himself fit and the dominate player that was the wallabies best for almost 2 years. As Scarfy mentioned it is about respect to a player who has saved our ass single handedly (well maybe 2 hands on the ball) on more than 1 occasion. If he is fit and ready to go he deserves time on the field, if he under performs he gets replaced and Hooper takes back over as number 1. I hope they can find someway to manage them in tandem for many years to come and they both stay injury free and push each other to new levels. Either that or we can give them pistols and put them on the halfway line back to back.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
No doubt Pocock deserves game time, but I think it should be via the bench. It's not like the openside position has been a problem for us and Hooper has been tearing it up. In fact, I think he offers more of a threat than Pocock in attack and has some better linking skills. He's not as good on the fetch though.

A pity that neither of them are quite tall enough to play 6 or 8, because they could be dynamite together.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
A pity that neither of them are quite tall enough to play 6 or 8, because they could be dynamite together.

Is it really that necessary to have a tall 6/8? If both locks are line out options and one of either the 8 or 6 are is that enough? or do you think the loss of one additional jumper would mean that the positive of having both Hooper and Pocock on the field at the same time negated?

I think having Pocock 7 and Hooper at 6 would be great. I think hooper not being an option in the lineout more than makes up for what you'd get from either Higgers or Dennis in terms of both tight and loose play. That said, if Timami is in the same side I wouldn't use that set up given his poor lineout skills.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I hope Pocock doesnt play... I want him good for the Brumbies... I'm not sure he is ready yet and risks injury... Hooper doing a good job anyway...

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I hope Pocock doesnt play. I want him good for the Brumbies. I'm not sure he is ready yet and risks injury. Hooper doing a good job anyway.

How would you feel if Hooper had stayed with the brumbies and Pocock was going to the tahs instead? Would you wan't pocock to play?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
How would you feel if Hooper had stayed with the brumbies and Pocock was going to the tahs instead? Would you wan't pocock to play?

the same... I not a fan of players being push back on the field too early... No player likes to say no to their coach... i was surprised that Pocock went on this tour...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Pocock is fully fit, he should be on the bench and given 15-20 minutes. He is one of our best players.

Even though it is the last game on tour and the next tests aren't for over 6 months I think there is value in bringing Pocock back if he is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.