• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should Pocock have to earn back his starting spot?

Who should start at 7 against the Welsh?

• Hooper

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • Pocock

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Gill (So Scotty doesn't think this is another conspiracy)

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'd rest Hooper. He's done enough, and for the state of Wallaby rugby simply cannot afford to be injured.

This also happens to protect him for the Waratahs season, but that is purely coincidental. ;)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Is it really that necessary to have a tall 6/8? If both locks are line out options and one of either the 8 or 6 are is that enough? or do you think the loss of one additional jumper would mean that the positive of having both Hooper and Pocock on the field at the same time negated?

I think having Pocock 7 and Hooper at 6 would be great. I think hooper not being an option in the lineout more than makes up for what you'd get from either Higgers or Dennis in terms of both tight and loose play. That said, if Timami is in the same side I wouldn't use that set up given his poor lineout skills.

My personal preference would be to have three genuine line out options. Once Sharpie goes, who do we have? Douglas, who presumably can jump and probably makes the calls, maybe Timani, though he doesn't really jump for the Wobs and who else? It's one of the reasons I think we need Higgers at 6 or 8, because he does provide a line out option.

I like the idea of two flyers on the side of the scrum, but I think it diminishes us in other areas.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Pocock is the better player, but there is no point rushing him back, Play Hooper and let Pocock rest. Pocock should never have gone on the spring tour.

If you think Hooper needs rest, well then put on Gill for him at half-time.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would take a different approach, I would not play Pocock, I cant see how this will benefit Australian Rugby for the next few years.

Hooper has been outstanding, I would put him on the bech to have some rest and bring Gill in as starter to give him a chance to prove his value. If Gill has a blinder then it will spur the three fetchers to get even better as they will all know they may not get selected next season.

We know what Pocock and Hooper offer as starters, lets see what Gill has to offer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We might need Hooper as cover for #9.

For a couple of R/M on the weekend, he performed adequately as a half back.

This way we might get Gill, Bam Bam and Hoops on the oval at the same time.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Going forward next year, I reckon Hooper should be used as 6. Pocock is such a good fetcher that he keeps 7, Hooper goes to 6 and we just need to find an 8 who can jump assuming Horwill and Douglas are our locks.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Going forward next year, I reckon Hooper should be used as 6. Pocock is such a good fetcher that he keeps 7, Hooper goes to 6 and we just need to find an 8 who can jump assuming Horwill and Douglas are our locks.

And that's my issue: we don't have anyone like that at the moment. Cliffy's been pretty good of late, but he's not a jumping option and Higgers we've found out isn't a test standard eight (he doesn't hit and bend the line or put the hurt on in defence enough). Maybe Dennis?

T

Train Without a Station

I like the idea of two flyers on the side of the scrum, but I think it diminishes us in other areas.

Having Pocock at 6 over Higgers would actually give us a slower back row. Pocock has a number of attributes, but genuine pace (even for a forward) is not one of them.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Having Pocock at 6 over Higgers would actually give us a slower back row. Pocock has a number of attributes, but genuine pace (even for a forward) is not one of them.

Well if he isn't quick, his positional play must be truly exceptional. He's got that George Smith style knack of being precisely where he needs to be at any given moment. Hooper does have some serious gas though. He could play in the centres (and I've seen him turn out there for Manly before).

T

Train Without a Station

Considering the bloke has for 2 weeks been scheduled to return from injury and been ruled out, what is there to gain coming back for the last game, 1 week after he was already ruled out to make his return?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think the question is badly worded. I don't think Pocock should 'earn' his way back into the team - it just might not be the best time for him to come back right now.

If he's 100% fit and ready to go then he would probably be the first person I'm selecting for the Wallabies. With due respect to Hooper, Pocock 'earned' at least that over the last 3 years.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Given time, I can see both of these guys on the field at the same time, even if that compromises the lineout.
It won't be a case of Pocock 'earning' his way back - as Bullrush said, he has proven himself a match winner, its when its appropriate to put one of our greatest assets back into the fray.

As much as I've enjoyed seeing Hooper play lately, I still feel that Pocock adds a huge amount to the team, namely around pure physicality at the ruck. This is one aspect in which I feel the Wallabies have missed lately and Hooper doesn't offer at this point in my opinion.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper deserves it. Leave the Cock out as it isn't worth the risk for last test of the year.

Not to satisfy Scotty but I see merit in offering Gill a start. Give the fella his shot. We all know of his potential.

T

Train Without a Station

Hooper deserves it. Leave the Cock out as it isn't worth the risk for last test of the year.

Not to satisfy Scotty but I see merit in offering Gill a start. Give the fella his shot. We all know of his potential.

Mate I disagree and say he hasn't done much in his many bench starts to show he could deserve to start over Hooper.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^Was there fit and healthy alternatives on the wing at the time they "rushed" Schmoo back into the team?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Sorry, this is not kindy.
He's had plenty of game time coming off the bench.He has gone well, but nowhere near well enough to leap frog anyone.
The two guys in front of him, are invariably in the top 3 performers each time they go out.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Pocock and Hooper (along with Sharpe) are our best forwards. We need them both. I think a 6. Hooper, 7. Pocock backrow will be fine.
Especially if we pick an 8 that can be involved in the lineout - McCalman, Higgers, Samo can all do that, and Palu gets involved too.
For me, the first pick would be Palu, then McCalman before Higgers (Samo will be at least 100 by then). Also, lets not forget Luke Jones is coming along in leaps and bounds and will offer a decent 6 option.

Our locks willundoubtably be between Horwill, Timani, Douglas and Simmons (is Sharpe ever retires). So we need a lineout general out of those 4.

But lets get our best forwards on the park and the rest will worry about themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.