• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should the ARU cut their losses and abolish the National Academies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Super Rugby franchises used to have their own academies funded by the ARU. The bill, apparently, was about $200K each. They decided that they would nationalise the academies and take the players away from the franchisees. They said it was about making a better system but I think it's about saving money.
Queensland decided that they didn't like the new system and created a fringe playing group and so have others. Effectively bypassing the national academy system.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Super Rugby franchises used to have their own academies funded by the ARU. The bill, apparently, was about $200K each. They decided that they would nationalise the academies and take the players away from the franchisees. They said it was about making a better system but I think it's about saving money.
Queensland decided that they didn't like the new system and created a fringe playing group and so have others. Effectively bypassing the national academy system.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Queensland and anyone who followed them have got it right.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Reds called it "Reds Colllege" and got media attention about it being some revolutionary idea by Link praised by everyone.. yet every other franchise has a Wider Training Group.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Well, considering I was still in HS when I first started. Yes. However, I left home after HS with a few mates. If you are going to bring up the whole responsibilities of living away from home I used to cook all my meals on a Sunday as well as do my obligations. Same for while I was at home. My diet was different from my family so I had to take care of that.

It's about settling on a routine. It's very doable if you want it enough.

Yeah it is, I agree. Some of these kids come from out of town so they work to support rent, food, cars and running costs, train hard morning and afternoon and attend Uni. Big juggle for some. Easier for those at home. I commend those who work hard to achieve their dream.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Queensland and anyone who followed them have got it right.

The force maintained their academy with funding from Bankwest. It was primarily focused on continuing to bring juniors through the ranks. This was a continuation of what was funded by the ARU with no down time.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Reds called it "Reds Colllege" and got media attention about it being some revolutionary idea by Link praised by everyone.. yet every other franchise has a Wider Training Group.

He's certainly the best media manager in Australian rugby. Many rugby journos think that he possesses some sort of magic wand which will immediately cure all the ills of the Wallabies at a stroke.

He's done a great job at the Reds and maintaining their own college/academy is the right way to go.

If all the super rugby teams are doing the same, what on earth are the ARU doing with a National Academy?

How many development officers could that money pay for in growth areas of Sydney and Brisbane, regional areas and expansion states such as in Melbourne and Perth?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The target area of the ARU academy is youth which I believe is the correct way to go. Obviously Super rugby teams prefer players more experienced and 'body ready' for Super rugby.

T

TOCC

Cricket Australia who sits in a similar sporting landscape to rugby union, recently conducted a review of cricket and one of their recommendations was not only the continuation of their 'Centre of Excellence" but an expansion of its responsibilities and capabilities which now encompasses the following:
-Player Development Unit
-Sport Scidence Sport Medicine Unit
-Information and Resource Centre
-Coaching, umpiring, Administration and Curator Development

The Centre Of Excellence itself covers the national team, AIS Scholarship holders and the U19 group..

I think its a suitable structure and something which the ARU should look at, the National Academy should really probably be focussing on the U20 age bracket with the focus been on the U20 JWC.. The ARU now has 4 major responsibilities: Wallabies, Aussie 7's team(female and male) and the U20 side, there is no reason that the same staff couldn't be supporting all these teams in one way or another...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
These figures are just roughly what has been reported in the media, but:
Prior to the funding been withdrawn it was around $200'000/team($800'000 in total), the new National Academy is run at a cheaper rate around $600'000.

So you'd think the Super Rugby clubs could top up the ARU amount and still do their own... a centralized system wont make better wallabies... just more players doing the same thing…

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So you'd think the Super Rugby clubs could top up the ARU amount and still do their own. a centralized system wont make better wallabies. just more players doing the same thing…

I've suggested on the Shute Shield thread that with the franchises looking to bypass the academies with Colleges, Talent groups or Wider Training Groups perhaps the money used on the national setup could be used to fund the participation of representative squads from Mel, Perth and the ACT in the Shute Shield. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would mean a concentration of talent into one competition. If they come in and dominate then fine. It would force some of the Sydney clubs to work harder or rationalize their position to compete which would in the end lead to a more condensed talent pool with some club needing to either look to merge at that level or drop out from that tier altogether.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
I've suggested on the Shute Shield thread that with the franchises looking to bypass the academies with Colleges, Talent groups or Wider Training Groups perhaps the money used on the national setup could be used to fund the participation of representative squads from Mel, Perth and the ACT in the Shute Shield. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would mean a concentration of talent into one competition. If they come in and dominate then fine. It would force some of the Sydney clubs to work harder or rationalize their position to compete which would in the end lead to a more condensed talent pool with some club needing to either look to merge at that level or drop out from that tier altogether.

Could that not lead to the generation of a real third tier? If this comp could get some good TV coverage with a more national target (Channel 10) money might arise to spread the comp to having a national based home and away. Even if you just added in a ACT/VIC/WA team you could send some of the Sydney teams out of their comfort zone to allow the new teams some home games. If you could generate a bye in this comp and the Qld comp you could add a cross city game each week to bring the Brisbane teams down. A reduction in Sydney based teams could arise from natural attrition but I would think that after a 3-4 years it would look the goods.

T

TOCC

So you'd think the Super Rugby clubs could top up the ARU amount and still do their own. a centralized system wont make better wallabies. just more players doing the same thing…

More players in elite development programs?? That sounds horrible for Australian rugby!

I think the ARU Academy should be focussing on the 17-20yr old bracket(7's & 15's) culminating in the U20 JWC, Super Rugby clubs need players with more experience and physical development so there needs are different(older)..

Sometimes they will crossover with a 18yr old been called into Super Rugby, but mostly the bulk of the players in the JWC teams are not-contracted by super clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Could that not lead to the generation of a real third tier? If this comp could get some good TV coverage with a more national target (Channel 10) money might arise to spread the comp to having a national based home and away. Even if you just added in a ACT/VIC/WA team you could send some of the Sydney teams out of their comfort zone to allow the new teams some home games. If you could generate a bye in this comp and the Qld comp you could add a cross city game each week to bring the Brisbane teams down. A reduction in Sydney based teams could arise from natural attrition but I would think that after a 3-4 years it would look the goods.

That was my thinking. In time it could evolve into what we need below Super Rugby naturally. Some clubs will get stronger and others will weaken forcing them to look to relegate themselves back to subbies. Not ideal but it is perhaps what is needed.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyway the aim for ARU is to the get as many players on pro contracts as possible. It doesn't matter how many players we have, we need them training in pro environments.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
ARU academy are playing a game tomorrow at Ballymore

ARU Academy team to play QLD Red Colllege

1. JP Smith
2. Hugh Roach
3. Kirwin Sanday
4. Will Skelton
5. Michael Stolberg
6. Ted Postal
7. Katori Ale
8. Pete Samu
9. Jock Merriman
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Jamie Tualangi
12. Apolosi Latunipulu
13. Samu Kerevi
14. Elijah Niko
15. Brendan Hartmann

Mitch Wade
Michael Ala'alatoa
Allan Ala'alatoa
Steve Cummins
Michael Wells
Waldo Wessels
David Howitz
Jonah Placid

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
good game tonight. Reds got up in the end 27-20, but there was a try late to them.

I was impressed with the Academy who took it up to the Reds most the game, really just allowing the Reds to take control in the last 20 or so.

From the NA, I really like the look of Will Skelton (absolute monstor but did some damage in rucks and mauls), Ale, Roach and the centres. Waldo Wessels looked good when he came on too.

For the Reds, Luke Morahan, Rocket and Rexie Taps were the best of the backs although I didn't mind the look of scrummie Ben Meehan in my first sighting of him. Ah Wong and Browning were very conspicuos in their agressiveness.

T

tranquility

Cheers for that Reg, sounds like a great match..

Pretty impressive from the academy boys to get that close. The QLD team had alot of mature, and wily characters in the team - plus a few former Wallabys just for good measure. In regards to Browning and Ah Wong, I assume that by 'conspicuous' you mean that they stood out, and that they were in fact very physical?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
tranquility FYI

con·spic·u·ous

/kənˈspikyo͞oəs/

Adjective
  1. Standing out so as to be clearly visible.
  2. Attracting notice or attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.