• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Should we have a SH 5 Nations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wolverine

having a combined PI team play on a regular basis will only diminish the development of the 3 nations that it's made of.

Staging combined PI tours, and playing individual nations in regional tournaments and tours, can work to strengthen both significantly. As I wrote in: my suggestion for combined and individual PI games, in Post 36 of this thread, an extra test window could be provided to the teams (as the 6N and 3N get), and more games than they have currently.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Staging combined PI tours, and playing individual nations in regional tournaments and tours, can work to strengthen both significantly. As I wrote in: my suggestion for combined and individual PI games, in Post 36 of this thread, an extra test window could be provided to the teams (as the 6N and 3N get), and more games than they have currently.

Yeh I understand what you're saying, but I think Samoa, Fiji and Tonga shouldn't be lowered to playing mid-week games against club sides. Samoa and Fiji in particular have proven themselves over the past 18 months or so that they can challenge top nations. Samoa was very unlucky on their NH tour last year, and we know how Fiji went at the last world cup.

I think these sides need more games against sides like Wales, Scotland, Italy, Argentina who they are almost on par with currently. But it is hard to develop more games then they already have, because of the current international calendar.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think Samoa should be seriously looked at in terms of entering a SH 5 Nations. They can be a competitive force in the competition as demonstrated last weekend regardless of the fact we fielded our B team. The IRB have been investing significantly in the nation and they have recently opened a high performance centre in Apia. Now that they have access to top level training and facilities there is no reason why they could not compete.

As for the value in the move. Simply, it adds another game to the package which opens up further advertising spaces. Regardless of who are playing.

W

wolverine

Yeh I understand what you're saying, but I think Samoa, Fiji and Tonga shouldn't be lowered to playing mid-week games against club sides.

Playing club sides would actually represent a raising in the status of the PIs, especially compared to playing Tier 1 A teams, or Tier 2 and 3 nations as has actually happened. These tour games would attract significant support from the local club games, they could share revenue, and expose fringe players and locally produced players from the Islands to European clubs, and give opportunities for them to sign contracts to play professionally over there. Without the combined team, the individual PI teams have ben frozen out of November tests and relegated to playing Tier 2 and 3 teams: Tier 1 teams like the 6 Nations don't want to play them, because they are generally less competitive, and lesser drawcard to spectators and broadcast audiences. Consider the 2010 November test matches (The Tier 1 nations either rested/rotated senior players, or fielded A teams):
* Tonga played Tier 3 Chile, Italy A, French Barbarians. In November 2009, Tonga played Ireland A, Scotland A, Tier 3 Portugal.
* Samoa played Connacht, Japan, Ireland, England, Scotland.
* Fiji played France, Wales, Italy. In November 2009, they played Romania.

Samoa and Fiji in particular have proven themselves over the past 18 months or so that they can challenge top nations. Samoa was very unlucky on their NH tour last year, and we know how Fiji went at the last world cup.

I think these sides need more games against sides like Wales, Scotland, Italy, Argentina who they are almost on par with currently. But it is hard to develop more games then they already have, because of the current international calendar.

I'd suggest the individual PIs could host the likes of Wales, Scotland etc at home in the June window (BTW I think the new IRB 3 test June format is fundamentally flawed), but the individual PIs struggle to even raise funds to finance an overseas tour to the NH, and again compete in part due to facing B lineups.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
having a combined PI team play on a regular basis will only diminish the development of the 3 nations that it's made of.
i agree, look at the home nations. they used to dominate the world of rugby, but since banding together under the banner of the Lions, they've all gone to shit :)

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Both NZ and SA have strong domestic competitions,so any expansion of the international competition is going to be difficult. I strongly support the NPC and would far sooner watch our provincial teams compete than watch Japan or the USA. The AB Fiji clash this weekend in Dunedin looks to have sold about 12,000 tickets to date. The next Otago NPC home game is likely to draw twice that number,and provide a better spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.