• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
From the lad's surname (famous in Bok rugby history) it looks like we have another family in Oz from the rainbow nation - and his christian name would resonate over there too.

Yes, not hard to pick he is South Africian. From Joburg I believe. Tough little rooster. I know there will be talk about his size when his future is discussed that's why I thought I would point out his background as a wrestler.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anyone not impressed with Beale's defensive work on Saturday, the guy has gone from being a speed bump to a effective tackler

Agree. He showed signs for the Tahs in 2009 later in the season IMO because I was looking for it, and he confirmed it in 2010. We judged him harshly as a teenager defending in the 10 channel against big no.8s and the like - and nobody could blame us.

But if he was ever going to change our opinion of him as a defender it was when he had full physical maturity, both naturally and from the gym. Now he is 21 and getting on to the end of his 4th season we can judge him with no ifs or buts.

Let's give others the same leeway, especially teenagers, and more especially those shunted out onto the park before their time.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Anybody know why Sievert hasn't been playing for SD lately? If he's fit, he and Gamgee would have made a better halves pairing.

Sievert was listed as a try scorer in Souths seconds match on the weekend, so he's not injured. Looks like this Roos kid was selected over him.

Cyril Towers (30)
Sievert was listed as a try scorer in Souths seconds match on the weekend, so he's not injured. Looks like this Roos kid was selected over him.

Yeah, I saw that. I was going on info from some Hobbit supporters at the game yesterday. That's a big call as Sievert was playing very well early in the season.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Anyone not impressed with Beale's defensive work on Saturday, the guy has gone from being a speed bump to a effective tackler

I thought Kurtley had a storming game on Saturday, especially in defence. He's really matured this year and looks so much more assured now. Many (myself included) have thought that he *could* be a superstar, but now we are starting to see the signs of his potential being realised.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
On a different tack - I had hoped that Samo had matured somewhat. The Reds cannot consider using him as a starter (unless as a last resort) as he just fades in and out of games. This wasn't the first time I saw this with him for Southern this year. That he is immensely gifted, can run, offload, tackle etc etc is not in doubt, but I do doubt now if he can apply himself for even 40 minutes consistantly as required above club land (even required in clubland finals). I will go so far to say the Pirates made a big mistake in starting him over Vaea who made huge inroads when he came on. Samo is better used to come on with 20 or 30 to go and under strict instructions to leave nothing in the tank.

I liked Samo when he was at the Brumbies, but I'm not as a big a fan nowadays. In watching his performance in the game against Uni, I thought it typified the way he plays now -- a bit too much of a seagull, reluctant to do the graft and wanting to be more of a back than a backrower. He's not a bloke you can get the full 80 out of any more. Much better as a sub.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yes, not hard to pick he is South Africian. From Joburg I believe. Tough little rooster. I know there will be talk about his size when his future is discussed that's why I thought I would point out his background as a wrestler.

But Rugby can accommodate the big and the small players even at the professional level. The little tackers just need to use their strengths against the opposition weakness not vice versa. ie tackle low (below opponents centre of gravity) and run at gaps (not at the player). Trouble only happens when little fellas try to do the opposite.

If Roos is a wrestling champion, he probably knows most of the techniques required. Bringing an opponent down is as much technique as brute strength. The biggest fattest sumo wrestler does not always win.

Good luck to the lad. He may be of Saffer stock, but for the time being he is one of ours! IIRC he has been a product of, and credit to Sydney Junior Rugby development in the Shire.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

He played well for a 20 y.o. but SD needed somebody with a bigger backlog of experience in senior rugby - and the same goes for flyhalf Morath also.

My thoughts were that the Hobbits backs looked a bit like rabbits in the headlights as the Students defence pressure came on.
Very one dimensional and too slow at key times. Leadership and experience seemed to be lacking. This will come with time if they can stick with the lads.

The conundrum is how do you gain that experience without losing key matches.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Regarding the Shute Shield looking amateurish this is entirely due to the pathetic grounds, small attendances and the state of the pitches not the quality of the players on show.
Before each Sunday semi I have watched the NZ club games on Fox and the stadiums, fully grassed pitches and reasonable crowds give the whole experience on TV the impression of being professional despite IMO the standard of the players being no better than Shute Shield.
How can you say that in this weeks games at least it is amatuer rugby with over a dozen capped wallaby players and plenty of Super 15 players in all teams. I would venture to say that the Sydney Uni team was better than anything the Melbourne Rebels will put out next year.
There are only 3 grounds with surfaces worthy of semi-finals and they are Concord,Coogee and Warringah. The rest are no better than cow paddocks.

Coogee is not a decent oval at this time of the year, no ground where a player is concerned to go to ground one side is "worthy"

Coogee Oval has at least a decent cover of grass at the moment and is looking a picture. The hard Cricket square is still a bit of an issue. As an ex piggie cricket squares were never much of an issue for me in my playing days, but I can imagine that it would be of concern to the more fleet of foot, more so when there is not much grass cover and the clay is baked hard.

Centreman: Fully grassed pitches in NZ. Of course, it rains on a regular basis, and there is bugger all sun over the winter periods. Their ovals with cricket squares do not seem to have the same issues of hardness as ours at this time of the year, cause there hasn't yet been any periods of sustained drying and sun baking. Eden Park Auckland, McLean Park Napier, Lancaster Park (Jade or AMI Stadium) Christchurch are the only ITM ovals with cricket pitches. I think the Wellington Cake Tin may be experimenting with drop in pitches, but most "proper" cricket is at the Basin Reserve.

The bloody miserable NZ weather is why so many of them are over here.

Lets hope Sydney Rugby Union can make a better go of Finals administration next year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hats off to the SD 9 & 10.
They each faced Wallaby players, who had the advantage of playing behind the Uni pack.Barnes had the added advantage of playing with 2 more highly regarded centres.
Doesn't logic suggest that had they got over the top of their opponent, they should be in the Wobblie squad?
I'm sure they will both benefit from last week.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My thoughts were that the Hobbits backs looked a bit like rabbits in the headlights as the Students defence pressure came on.
Very one dimensional and too slow at key times. Leadership and experience seemed to be lacking. This will come with time if they can stick with the lads.

The conundrum is how do you gain that experience without losing key matches.

Tend to agree. SD battled manfully in the pigs and I thought split the difference with Uni, but didn't have the creativity in the halves and midfield to take advantage of the possession they had. There was a real difference in class, but Southern were far from disgraced. I hope they can kick on next year.

G

Goldenone

A cry from the sunny north !! As we all know,the ABC has replaced their HD station that provided rugby coverage with a news channel !!! Are there any alternatives to watch the grand final on Saturday ,live ?? It should be a good match-up.Go the 'wicks .

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not that I know of, as iView always puts the games up hours later.

Ironically the News24 channel streams live on the net as well

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A cry from the sunny north !! As we all know,the ABC has replaced their HD station that provided rugby coverage with a news channel !!! Are there any alternatives to watch the grand final on Saturday ,live ?? It should be a good match-up.Go the 'wicks .

How far north are you? If you are not too far from the border, drive south and find an obliging pub or rugby club. Otherwise, hope for live updates here.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Crikey....Elsom, Foley as well (to sevens). However Uni with McCutcheon, Ed Jenkins, Phipps and Bernard Foley to 7's so all evens out. Yeah, I know Bernard wasn't in 1st grade squad before anyone posts.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Crikey....Elsom, Foley as well (to sevens). However Uni with McCutcheon, Ed Jenkins, Phipps and Bernard Foley to 7's so all evens out. Yeah, I know Bernard wasn't in 1st grade squad before anyone posts.

Yeah they will struggle with Jono Jenkins & Burgess as cover

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Congratulations Uni on a dominant win.
Look forward to next year when parity returns due to the extended schedule of the Super 15 and test rugby.
Anyway, to all lovers of club rugby have a good Christmas and I look forward to speaking to you all next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.