• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You cant be simultaneously registered by 2 clubs.

I agree with that concept but......

How did Schmoo play for Randwick when he was registered with Balmain Subbies (or vice versa as the case may be)?

Same with Matt Giteau who also played with Balmain Subbies. Not sure what if any Premier grade club he played for.

What about that second rower that Randwick "acquired" from BrisVegas after his QLD club comp team finished, and is now somewhere in Europe?

With agreement from the clubs in question, and the Union, I think it is possible for players to turn out for clubs other than the one they initially registered for.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd expect 6-7 JID first graders to follow over, but those four are the ones I've heard to be currently pursued (and are probably the cream of the local crop)

A competitive Two Blues team would be awesome, both for the TNSS, and for overall growth of rugby in the West Sydney.

Bring it on!!!

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I've heard whispers of Coleman, Yakapo, Fainga'a and Stevens from Tuggeranong and Queanbeyanbut nothing confirmed

Can confirm the Yakopo's have gone, not sure about Sam but defiantly Dan. Also Sione Tuala the vikings prop has gone. Will be interesting to see how vikings go in the John I Dent

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I agree with that concept but......

How did Schmoo play for Randwick when he was registered with Balmain Subbies (or vice versa as the case may be)?

Same with Matt Giteau who also played with Balmain Subbies. Not sure what if any Premier grade club he played for.

What about that second rower that Randwick "acquired" from BrisVegas after his QLD club comp team finished, and is now somewhere in Europe?

With agreement from the clubs in question, and the Union, I think it is possible for players to turn out for clubs other than the one they initially registered for.

Maybe it was a rockstar exemption.
The secondrower from Brisbane's season had concluded, although I am on record saying that surely shouldn't be allowed.
Finally I know of suburban rugby club that has had several complaints over the years of playing some grade players, albeit only lower grade ones in the Meldrum Cup when their Premier Club had a bye. This has led to a loss of points.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
And that is exactly what I am saying.
Finance killed the ARC bit certainly with the help o the clubs - premier rugby is suburban rugby.
The ARU and the rugby public must seek a way for expansion without financially burdening the existing clubs which are already in trouble. Unless expansion happens, the rugby in Australia will continue to have a yawning gap between S15 and the next level - Premier.
By allmeans kep premier rugby but it cannot stay as the no 1 national competition - what's the point - again clubs trying to hang onto something which is ultimately killing the game through strangulation.
We need to keep the core of the Shute Shield teams - and bring in teams from outside Sydney.
The NRL clubs fought tooth and nail when it first happened there and look at it now - as did the AFL clubs. For rugby to survive suburban rugby as we have it now cannot be the premier national competition but it can only be done gradually. Any sudden rush to bring in an ARC type comp boots and all will fail financialloy. You must keep the top Sydney clubs in the new regime plus others and drop off those that are struggling. There were sacrifices in the NRL - Norths, Newtown, amalgamation of other clubs but it is now a well run semi national competition with the bulk of teams coming from the main urban centre - Sydney.
Again - what's more important - club survival in a localised suburban Shield competition or strengthening the competition to eventually encompass the nation and the eventual strengthening of rugby nationwide. You can then have a reasonably good suburban competition feeding the existing teams in the revised competition. All play their part in the feeder pipeline.
I really get annoyed when I see how well run and popular the NPC is in NZ and we still cant even put something similar together. Their suburban clubs dont complain - they accept it as a better way to have a more visible national competition.
I actuall see more objection from the QRU who will want their premier teams involved but frankly they aren't good enough except maybe the top two or three with the bulk of the Sydney teams.
For this there needs to be core Sydney teams plus combined regional teams - thereby maintaining the interest and support of the bulk of the Sydney rugby fraternity and bringing in the support of regional areas - Gold Coast, ACT, Melbourne, Bris Nth, Bris Sth, that way maximising the strength of the competing teams.
We need to put aside petty club rivalry for the sake of the game. Right now, clubs are too short sighted to see the bigger picture, oh and yes, to answer your question, I have been very heavily involved in running clubs both in Sydney and in Brisbane so I speak with very clear experience and that is whi i see doom and gloom unless the ARU take control..

What I was pondering was whether you had personal ongoing experience in a Shute Shield club ,& the yearly battle to avoid extinction.You mention your experience with "Sydney" clubs , which of course is not neccessarily the same .
Nevertheless ....
I don't understand your criticism of the S/S clubs & their desire to remain alive & relevant.This is a battle even in the absence of the ARC etc. competition.
IMO , the S/S clubs & their counterparts in Qld. & the ACT. form the lifeblood of Australian Rugby.
In saying that , no one who supports Australian Rugby would deny the need to form a link between the S/S & the Super franchises.That's not an issue surely.
But the previous attempt to do so with the formation of the ARC was ill conceived & constructed.The consequences for the S/S clubs & the competition , were undoubtedly detrimental.Dividing the usual competition into 2 parts would have been laughable , if it had not created such a depressing spectacle & atmosphere.
I agree with you that the ARU needs to support the S/S clubs.
Currently the competition is lacking public interest & involvement.There is little if any public promotion e.g.in the media , & only the few diehard fans have any knowledge & awareness of what is happening in the competition , while the governing bodies leave the clubs to struggle on & fend for themselves.
A new tier competition should be complimentary & enhancing to the S/S , not be part of it's demise .Without a strong S/S there will be no ARC or similar.
Also getting rid of the less successful clubs is hardly consistent with spreading the gospel , particularly as they are located in that part of Sydney which is under greatest competition from other codes.
The analogy to Reg & Elle is fine ,providing that Reg ,even if he is the last option available , can still rise to the occasion, & the same applies to the Shute Shield & it's relationship with the next tier.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
What I was pondering was whether you had personal ongoing experience in a Shute Shield club ,& the yearly battle to avoid extinction.You mention your experience with "Sydney" clubs , which of course is not neccessarily the same .
Nevertheless ....
I don't understand your criticism of the S/S clubs & their desire to remain alive & relevant.This is a battle even in the absence of the ARC etc. competition.
IMO , the S/S clubs & their counterparts in Qld. & the ACT. form the lifeblood of Australian Rugby.
In saying that , no one who supports Australian Rugby would deny the need to form a link between the S/S & the Super franchises.That's not an issue surely.
But the previous attempt to do so with the formation of the ARC was ill conceived & constructed.The consequences for the S/S clubs & the competition , were undoubtedly detrimental.Dividing the usual competition into 2 parts would have been laughable , if it had not created such a depressing spectacle & atmosphere.
I agree with you that the ARU needs to support the S/S clubs.
Currently the competition is lacking public interest & involvement.There is little if any public promotion e.g.in the media , & only the few diehard fans have any knowledge & awareness of what is happening in the competition , while the governing bodies leave the clubs to struggle on & fend for themselves.
A new tier competition should be complimentary & enhancing to the S/S , not be part of it's demise .Without a strong S/S there will be no ARC or similar.
Also getting rid of the less successful clubs is hardly consistent with spreading the gospel , particularly as they are located in that part of Sydney which is under greatest competition from other codes.
The analogy to Reg & Elle is fine ,providing that Reg ,even if he is the last option available , can still rise to the occasion, & the same applies to the Shute Shield & it's relationship with the next tier.

Done that, I agree with you except for the part where you state that only a few diehard fans rock up. I believe in the last couple of years that due to increased rep player involvement the Shute Shield has gone through a bit of a resurgence. The challenge now is how to continue this when with an extended Super season alot of the players will not be seen till very late in the season if at all.
As many have already mentioned the Shute Shield truly is the nursery of Australian Rugby and if any changes are to be made then this should be taken into account.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The changes I proposed would basically keep the shute shield intact, but for the fact that it would be expanded and better publicised, more professional, and most importantly, more relevant.

Money could come from a number of sources. Firstly the ARU would provide some funding, hopefully a modest tv deal could be struck with ONE HD or channel 9 which could also help fund the comp and provide some much needed media exposure.

Obviously only the top grade and colts team from each club would play in an expanded competition, the lower teams could continue to play in their current comp. Anything else would just be silly and unworkable.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
One thing about the Shute Shield re coverage was that the ABC did a good job of it this year. The Saturday afternoon games were quality viewing. The technical side of the coverage was faultless; far more enjoyable than some of the antiseptic, lifeless camera work etc of some of the more professional codes' coverage. And the commentary was knowledgeable, warm, full of humour and in the spirit of the games. And I don't think I would be the only one in saying that many of these Shute Shield games were actually quite good.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
One thing about the Shute Shield re coverage was that the ABC did a good job of it this year. The Saturday afternoon games were quality viewing. The technical side of the coverage was faultless; far more enjoyable than some of the antiseptic, lifeless camera work etc of some of the more professional codes' coverage. And the commentary was knowledgeable, warm, full of humour and in the spirit of the games. And I don't think I would be the only one in saying that many of these Shute Shield games were actually quite good.

Agree re the ABC, they do a great job.
But how good would it be to be able to open the papers each Monday & see a review of the previous weekends games , or on Friday see a review of the next weekends matches .
How about a few photos ?
And a decent , readable , advertisement in the papers re each weeks upcoming games, not to mention some exposure on TV sports shows .
Results on Saturday nights TV news.
Some help in promoting each club & the Shute Shield , in it's respective community , from the governing bodies.
And the list goes on.
Of course I realise why there is not more (any) voluntary coverage in the media .
It's no doubt related to the fact that there is not enough perceived public interest (The chicken & egg question )
Given that this is the current situation then , does it not behove the ARU & NSWRU to spend some money to attempt to remedy it , e.g. BUY some coverage ,BUY some promotion ?
Or does the apparent lack of public interest simply reflect the same lack of genuine interest shown by Rugby's governing bodies ?
Does anyone care ?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Parramatta sign Dan Yakopo - From Parramatta Website

NEW RECRUIT DAN YAKOPO

In a major coup for the club, Parramatta have secured former Tuggeranong Vkings and current Australian 7s player Dan Yakopo for the next 2 seasons.

Name Dan Yakopo
Club Parramatta (NSW)
Position Centre / Wing
Height 180cm
Weight 88kg
Date of Birth 29/06/1988
Representative honours ACT Brumbies Academy (2010), Australian Sevens (2010-)
IRB Sevens tournaments 2009/10 - London, Edinburgh

Born in the heartland of Sevens Rugby, Fiji, Daniel Yakopo was destined to one day compete in the shortened form of the game. A member of the Parramatta Two-Blues club in Sydney's Shute Shield competition, Yakopo burst onto the Sevens scene last year, debuting in Australia's victory in London.

Yakopo earned selection on the back of strong performances for his former club Tuggeranong (ACT) and at domestic Sevens tournaments in Darwin, Kiama, Crescent Heads and Queanbeyan.

Yakopo is now one of the more experienced players in the Sevens squad alongside fellow London victors Bernard Foley and Ed Jenkins and will be keen to repeat Australia’s success on the world circuit, after breaking a drought which had started in 2002.

Nicknamed "Bula" by team mates, Yakopo is fluent in Fijian, is one of five children, and admits to spending plenty of time on his game console playing "Call of Duty".

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
This is a good pick up by Parramatta. He scored a try in the 7's Plate final against Sth Africa last weekend and moved from the bench at the start of the tournament to the starting line-up by tournament's end. Yakopo is also new to the Waratahs Academy. He has good pace, strong and has that Fijian flair.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
This is a good pick up by Parramatta. He scored a try in the 7's Plate final against Sth Africa last weekend and moved from the bench at the start of the tournament to the starting line-up by tournament's end. Yakopo is also new to the Waratahs Academy. He has good pace, strong and has that Fijian flair.

Should be plenty more to come

R

Rothschild

Except that anyone outside NSW gets bugger all - meaning nil - rugby coverage.
Queensland fams get absolutely zero club rugby coverage.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I suggested commercial tv for the sole reason that they can show commercials and make some money out of it. Commentators and the like can be poached if need be.

I would just like to say in terms of publicising rugby, I thought ONE HD did a great job with the recent spring tour. Some of those adds were just awesome.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Except that anyone outside NSW gets bugger all - meaning nil - rugby coverage.
Queensland fams get absolutely zero club rugby coverage.

You may need to start a new forum on the state of Queensland club rugby and why the ABC doesn't bother showing it.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I suggested commercial tv for the sole reason that they can show commercials and make some money out of it. Commentators and the like can be poached if need be.

I would just like to say in terms of publicising rugby, I thought ONE HD did a great job with the recent spring tour. Some of those adds were just awesome.

Wouldn't the players then want a slice of the pie. I cant see this working due to the clubs not being able to pay all the players. I wish it could though as only one game of club rugby isn't enough. This is especially the case on derby days, when the passion meter rises.
Also there is nothing wrong with the Shute Shield the way it is today. The other comps around Australia need to imporove and not try join a competition for the sake of joining. Sometimes expansion is not the greatest idea.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
At a club level I think you look after the running of the club and making sure your debts are paid and whatnot before you start paying players. These are amateur players, they are obviously not in it for the money. It would be great to be able to give them some match payments, but if the club can't afford it, the players will understand.

I think the shute shield either has to support an 3rd tier comp, or be willing to expand to try and fill the void left by not having one.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
At a club level I think you look after the running of the club and making sure your debts are paid and whatnot before you start paying players. These are amateur players, they are obviously not in it for the money. It would be great to be able to give them some match payments, but if the club can't afford it, the players will understand.

I think the shute shield either has to support an 3rd tier comp, or be willing to expand to try and fill the void left by not having one.

Change for change sake. Your Souths team will struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.