• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

Andrew and No9 I'm just saying it aint no rugby heartland and West Harbour is poorly managed. I'm not saying that we should giveup on rugby but it will never grow with the blokes currently running WH. Better management turned Uni around from a basket case in the mid 90's.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
He and his brother also played for Manly Roos. Another thing, Tom Kingston was also in the Manly Roos team that Michael Hooper played in. Hingano was in the Manly Academy. I think you need to do a little more research No9.

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
All for schools linking up. Gordon have lost great schoolboy potential talent such as Australian Schoolboy players Tim Duchesne (Knox to Norths) and Stu Goodman (Barker to Sydney Uni)

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
No, the decision in the end should be for the student but I don't know, I would just like it if there was a strong link, some kind of incentive for players to move straight from school side to local side.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No, the decision in the end should be for the student but I don't know, I would just like it if there was a strong link, some kind of incentive for players to move straight from school side to local side.

I think what you have to remember in the average kid leaving these schools will be going to some kind of tertiary institution (if not to a job) and it's just as important that their club is near this location.

It doesn't matter if the club is near your school because you don't go to school anymore.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The only way to get school players to maintain a link with a club side is to get them playing for a junior side or even colts while they are still at school in years 11 and 12. As the schools insist on playing their games on a Saturday and forbid their first xv and second xv players from playing any club football this aint gunna happen. We need school footy played during the week and allow players to be free to play on a weekend for clubs - either junior or senior

An added bonus to this is a better developed player in his late teens who has the best of both worlds - the structure and technical knowledge of the game garnered through the school system and a more hardened attitude developed by playing club. The gap between school and club when they leave school will not be as great and there will be less drop offs.

It may also work to keep gifted players defecting to that other code

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
He and his brother also played for Manly Roos. Another thing, Tom Kingston was also in the Manly Roos team that Michael Hooper played in. Hingano was in the Manly Academy. I think you need to do a little more research No9.

Your lordship,
If you read Slashs' assertions you would have seen his dismay at Steve Cummins,Billy Young and Liam Windon coming from schools in the district and that Wests had no right to claim any part of their development. To my knowledge Young only played junior rugby until he went to Joeys but the other 2 were actually Wests junior players and I was making a simple analogy of the Manly boys situation being similar. I expressed that it really doesn't matter where the players come from prior to colts as that is when the clubs get interested.

PS* Good on Manly for seeing the value of a junior academy.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
To add to that all the 17's Manly juniors were from the Roos club while the 16's were all but a couple from Harlequins. Based on your earlier statements it looks like Manly don't do anything more than Wests when it comes to the development of these age groups. Throwing stones in glass houses aren't you.

There was a Manly Roos/Norths Pirates U17 team in the village comp which disbanded due to the fact that all bar about 3 of the team were Norths Pirates Under 16s backing up from their previous game. This was mainly due to a miscommunication about the ability to field a team and Manly based players ending up at Warringah clubs. The majority of the Roos guys qualified from previous seasons, some were playing Colts. The 16s were mostly Harlequins because the cream of Manly's 16s (ex Roos) were playing for Norths, and had been for 2 seasons. Also, the 16s Harlequins team is a not just Harlequins but a joint Harbord/Seaforth combo. Unusual circumstances in both age groups.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
I need a diagram to follow this

Inside,
In defence against Slashs' attack on West Harbour with regard to them doing Nothing about junior development and the poaching of neighbouring districts players it was pointed out that Manly (the club logo which appeared on his posts) appeared to be in a similar if not worse scenario.

I personally think junior football is just that (junior) and that it has little bearing on how the senior district clubs perform but I won't sit back and watch people attack the integrity of a club I and many others once bled for.

R

Robert lui

John Maxwell & Mark Ella to be 1st grade coaches at Randwick in 2012

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

Worst decision board review has laid blame on Craig Morrison and shifted him. Largely influenced by club gm who has torn the place apart- Maxy is quoted on the club website as being the best technical coach around- kidding me he is terrible- Ella will take cash and run- not sure if this way is safe or club had no others- will Morrison stay on after this decision- my thinking is no- more to come

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
All for schools linking up. Gordon have lost great schoolboy potential talent such as Australian Schoolboy players Tim Duchesne (Knox to Norths) and Stu Goodman (Barker to Sydney Uni)

... and if I hear correctly, Gordon will be losing a lot more in 2012 to Norths.

T

Tahboy

Trent Lake from Gordon to Norths
He is a good young player
Cruz ah nau from Randwick to Norths
Hope they have room in there points

CarlUnger

Chris McKivat (8)
I think what you have to remember in the average kid leaving these schools will be going to some kind of tertiary institution (if not to a job) and it's just as important that their club is near this location.

It doesn't matter if the club is near your school because you don't go to school anymore.
True for some. But for the most part school students who move onto tertiary education will still live at home with their parents which in most cases is the area where they went to school. I think playing for a team closer to where one lives would be just as important as playing for a team close to where one works/studies.

iluvmyfooty said:
We need school footy played during the week and allow players to be free to play on a weekend for clubs - either junior or senior
Agreed

young gun said:
... and if I hear correctly, Gordon will be losing a lot more in 2012 to Norths.
Great news, for you :( Have any names for me?

K

Keithy

The only way to get school players to maintain a link with a club side is to get them playing for a junior side or even colts while they are still at school in years 11 and 12. As the schools insist on playing their games on a Saturday and forbid their first xv and second xv players from playing any club football this aint gunna happen. We need school footy played during the week and allow players to be free to play on a weekend for clubs - either junior or senior

Just will not happen. Australian Schools has the power and the cash. Junior clubs have very little or no cash and little power especially against the private schools.

B

Balcknred

Its unrealistic to think kids can play a school football mid week and then club on weekends. how about school seasons starting earlier then having a arc style tournament within the sydney zones. As part of being selected in these squads you have to then play your first year out of school from a club within your zone .. Just an idea to spread the talent , will probably get rubbished by the 'old boys union' on here

Status
Not open for further replies.