• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013 Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I also heard today that my club, Manly, have been very active trying to recruit players from New Zealand. They are very agressive in the pursuit of a fullback, wing, centres, second rowers and props.

So the questions must be:

BJ Hartmann returns from injury this season. Along with Woodhouse, I'd have thought we were right for fullbacks.
Lui Siale is back from France this year, so we're right on the wing with Richard Hooper and others.
What's happening with Sefanaia and Gilmore in the centres? Are they leaving?
We had the biggest pack in 2012, and arguably the best scrum, who has left from this year's tight 5?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i'd peronally rather see Boyd Killingworth at 7

6 then, it's semantics.

But Tahs management would probably dictate that he gets significant game time at 2, in case of injuries in the Tahs squad and the way that TPN likes to knock himself out.
You're not wrong but he's played Super rugby for years, what more experience does he need.
In my opinion the bloke really needs to throw the towel in and move to wherever in Europe will pay him well, he'll never be more then a 3rd string Super rugby hooker and he'd make some club over there very happy.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
6 then, it's semantics.

You're not wrong but he's played Super rugby for years, what more experience does he need.
In my opinion the bloke really needs to throw the towel in and move to wherever in Europe will pay him well, he'll never be more then a 3rd string Super rugby hooker and he'd make some club over there very happy.
he's got 3 kids now he wont be moving anywhere at this stage of his life.....

also, in regards to manly.... why do they need to recruit more outside backs? between siale, hingano, gilmore, daruda? can play 12... is he still there?, milroy, hartmann, woodhouse, hooper, ala, sefanaia (although i've heard he's off elsewhere)

what more do they need? pretty impressive strike force there

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
I also heard today that my club, Manly, have been very active trying to recruit players from New Zealand. They are very agressive in the pursuit of a fullback, wing, centres, second rowers and props.

So the questions must be:

BJ Hartmann returns from injury this season. Along with Woodhouse, I'd have thought we were right for fullbacks.
Lui Siale is back from France this year, so we're right on the wing with Richard Hooper and others.
What's happening with Sefanaia and Gilmore in the centres? Are they leaving?
We had the biggest pack in 2012, and arguably the best scrum, who has left from this year's tight 5?

Knuckles the spies say both Sefanaia and Gilmour are back and a likely recruit in Tongan international centre. Thank you Mr Lane!
Throw in Dylan Sigg and Tim Fairbrother to last years pack . Query over Captain Cottee playing again but 9 bolstered by Matt Lucas (Waratahs gain) with Max Wood . 10 will be interesting probably Sam Lane first choice. Whatever way you slice it Marlins will be strong again in both grade and colts.

N

neutral1

I suggest some clubs are getting it wrong with their recruitment. Too many guys being given the impression they will get 1st Grade spots and existing players being left confused with regards to where they stand. This confusion will bite teams when they need absolute commitment.

S

Sniper

Promises are being made by all clubs. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing. Randwick have promised everybody that they will get NSW Academy contracts. Manly is promising cash if you play 1st grade. Syd Uni a career after rugby. West Harbour promises a job at Star City as security. Norths you get free gym and food. Gordon, you can get a degree at UTS. There are many more. It would be great to see Parramatta knock over a few and reach top 5. Why can't players just play. The term rugby mercenery comes to mind. Why do players play rugby if their 1st thought is cash. I know plenty of great players that never got paid, but kept playing. Ok, that was a very long time ago, but has society changed that much. Are we turning into america and trying to get rich from student athletes. Time will tell.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
Ridiculous comment.

A. they are not student athletes and B. nobody, repeat absolutely nobody is getting rich via a rugby club.

You've been watching too many espn 30 for 30 episodes.
Yes but a lot of clubs are going bankrupt trying to compete. Rugby as a sport has been on the decline and part of it has been down to the introduction of player incentive schemes. I loved this game when you grew up in a district and played for your local club which produced mates for life and the sense of belonging to a district, and now we even have a Kiwi coaching the Wallabies for the cash. Who would have thought that this would have occurred back in the day when rugby was truly great.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Yes but a lot of clubs are going bankrupt trying to compete. Rugby as a sport has been on the decline and part of it has been down to the introduction of player incentive schemes. I loved this game when you grew up in a district and played for your local club which produced mates for life and the sense of belonging to a district, and now we even have a Kiwi coaching the Wallabies for the cash. Who would have thought that this would have occurred back in the day when rugby was truly great.

Simon Piodevin's biography was titled "For Love not Money", but the rugby world has changed since it was written in1992: something to do with professionalism and players realising they can make a quid from the game if they're good enough!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There are probably no players in the Shute Shield who are paid more for the time they spent playing and training for rugby then they would make if they worked during that time.

So, really they are only seeking maximum financial compensation possible for playing. Money isn't the primary motive otherwise they'd be picking up more shifts at work.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The issue is - if you were a 1st grade player and only getting X amount of money/petrol money to play in the SS - why wouldnt you look at options like Japan, Italy France - even comps such as Pro D2 in France which is the 2nd string comp will pay good money for players from over-seas...soon players wont want to stay in Aus - and again killing our development and national side...

And even our professional teams will look over-seas before looking into our comps - how many South Africans have come over in the last 1-3 years, how many NZ's? Its a joke....

As I posted in the other SS thread...if Aus rugby doesnt do something we will be out of the top 5 in the next 5-10 years and dieing within Aus...

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
The issue is - if you were a 1st grade player and only getting X amount of money/petrol money to play in the SS - why wouldnt you look at options like Japan, Italy France - even comps such as Pro D2 in France which is the 2nd string comp will pay good money for players from over-seas.soon players wont want to stay in Aus - and again killing our development and national side.

And even our professional teams will look over-seas before looking into our comps - how many South Africans have come over in the last 1-3 years, how many NZ's? Its a joke..

As I posted in the other SS thread.if Aus rugby doesnt do something we will be out of the top 5 in the next 5-10 years and dieing within Aus.

As far as I am aware practically all players in first grade are receiving some sort of payment/inducement.
This also applies to a number of second grade players .
Colts players in some clubs are also receiving benefits , including cash.
A number of players will eventually look to overseas clubs , eg. when they have completed their studies , or just want to see another part of the world.
In the meantime , many will make the most of their opportunities in the local comp , & take what they can get from the S.S. clubs, because it's not convenient /attractive to go overseas.
The Shute Shield competition is established as a semi professional competition, & has been for a number of years.
The reality is , if you don't pay your first grade players , they will go elsewhere.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As far as I am aware practically all players in first grade are receiving some sort of payment/inducement.
This also applies to a number of second grade players .
Colts players in some clubs are also receiving benefits , including cash.
A number of players will eventually look to overseas clubs , eg. when they have completed their studies , or just want to see another part of the world.
In the meantime , many will make the most of their opportunities in the local comp , & take what they can get from the S.S. clubs, because it's not convenient /attractive to go overseas.
The Shute Shield competition is established as a semi professional competition, & has been for a number of years.
The reality is , if you don't pay your first grade players , they will go elsewhere.

If I was playing 1st grade in the SS and was a top performer week in and week out - but for some reason could not get a super contract I would be over-seas straight away.

I have no idea what some players are paid but I cant see any SS players being paid full-time to play - i.e $50,000,60,70,$80,000 a year to play....which they could make I would think fairly easily going to France, Italy, Japan, England....

I have mates who play 1st grade league and I think the highest amount of cash I have heard is $500 each game...I guess if you were given a full-time job from the club + $500 a game then that could work out well if your werent willing to move over-seas away from family, friends, girlfriend etc...

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
If I was playing 1st grade in the SS and was a top performer week in and week out - but for some reason could not get a super contract I would be over-seas straight away.

I have no idea what some players are paid but I cant see any SS players being paid full-time to play - i.e $50,000,60,70,$80,000 a year to play..which they could make I would think fairly easily going to France, Italy, Japan, England..

I have mates who play 1st grade league and I think the highest amount of cash I have heard is $500 each game.I guess if you were given a full-time job from the club + $500 a game then that could work out well if your werent willing to move over-seas away from family, friends, girlfriend etc.
I remember a couple years ago Souths players were paid around $1000-$1200 a game

Status
Not open for further replies.