• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Really?
What are player expenses,as listed in the Annual Report?
I just saw a report from a few years ago.
Total player operation costs $300 k,which includes strapping,uniforms,travel etc and $124k in player expenses.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the Wicks "We don't pay players" is a rather rhetorical statement.

Like most clubs, the reality is often somewhat different from what is claimed.

Wicks probably pay not much more or not much less than the other clubs (in the most holistic sense) for some of their players.

Accommodation. medical, and transport assistance (preferrably contra from sponsors) will be provided to out of towners but not to all, and this will not be gold plated palatial penthouse living on the Bronte Cliffs with off street parking, unobstructed ocean views and a swimming pool. More like a bedroom in a share house tucked away in suburbia, or a sunless flat overlooking the communial washing line.

Any Shute Shield level player expecting to make a living wage out of playing for the Wicks will be sadly disappointed. I reckon that this would the case at nearly every SS Club (and most Brissie Prem clubs as well). Some of their expenses may be reduced/subsidised, and "normal" employment opportunities may be found through the club network and connections.

$300k in "player operation costs", including $124 in "player expenses" is probably above average figure for what a 4 Grade and 3 Colts team club would pay, but it doesn't seem to be market leading.

As long as the books balance at the end of the year and there is a modicum of profit made, then the Micawber principle applies.

The issue that should be of concern is where the clubs are spending more than they are earning.

Anecdotaly there are a number of these around.

If you can afford to pay players (player expenses), then do so, otherwise don't.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Really?
What are player expenses,as listed in the Annual Report?
I just saw a report from a few years ago.
Total player operation costs $300 k,which includes strapping,uniforms,travel etc and $124k in player expenses.

Can't speak for "a few years ago" but Wade Kelly stood up in front of all the players at the beginning of 2013 and told them nobody was going to be paid to play. Only a few left the club.

T

turnovertwopasses

I
Can't speak for "a few years ago" but Wade Kelly stood up in front of all the players at the beginning of 2013 and told them nobody was going to be paid to play. Only a few left the club.
i remember this. Was a defining moment for the Randwick district

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I cannot but confirm that no monies are paid to wicks players this past year.
This years accounts show some player expenses and they are to do with the end of season tour which was very successful.
I am led to believe that some promising players are also considering their futures due to not getting expenses.
All said, the wicks will scare a few this year if reports are accurate.

T

turnovertwopasses

I note that the joker who was trumpeting Gordon hasnt been heard from since. Is this a sign that they will once again struggle?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
So far 3 clubs have released their annual reports to the public, Randwick, Manly and Gordon and all 3 have posted profits this season, though I do wonder what the headline revenue figure looks like as compared to 2003 for example. Anyone seen any other annual reports released?

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Actually just saw the Sydney Uni report. Makes for sombre reading if you're one of the have-nots. They posted a small profit this year off a revenue of $1.6 million. They have a foundation containing $2.85 mil and are looking to raise another $1.85 mil.
I must say, reading about their efforts in continuing their links with ex-players is impressive and to have various company CEOs running their networking program is solid.
I'm no particular fan of Uni but you have to hand it to them, they run a good club.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Warringah also posted a profit of $40k off a revenue base of $310. Pretty impressive though surely to operate effectively a clubs needs more than that. Uni has a revenue amount of $1.3 million more - how do you compete with that?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
So far 3 clubs have released their annual reports to the public, Randwick, Manly and Gordon and all 3 have posted profits this season, though I do wonder what the headline revenue figure looks like as compared to 2003 for example. Anyone seen any other annual reports released?

Yes good to see the "+"s on the P&L, but the balance sheet is also very important.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Plus it was encouraging to read in addition to Manly's $140k profit, they have raised $250k so far for the foundation. Its clear that if a club makes significant efforts with the local community as Manly has done, sponsorships open up. I see big things for the Marlins in 2014.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Warringah also posted a profit of $40k off a revenue base of $310. Pretty impressive though surely to operate effectively a clubs needs more than that. Uni has a revenue amount of $1.3 million more - how do you compete with that?
At least there is black ink in the financial statements.

Seems many clubs are starting to realise the importance of the Micawber Principle.

I would expect that the Pirates have also turned a modest profit. They have a rather tight fiscal governance regime there.

Belly at 2Blues is also a first class administrator with no bulldust. They should also be in the black.

I worry about Beasts, although they seem to have landed some good sponsors for 2014, so maybe they have also turned the corner. Here's hoping.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
At least there is black ink in the financial statements.

Seems many clubs are starting to realise the importance of the Micawber Principle.

I would expect that the Pirates have also turned a modest profit. They have a rather tight fiscal governance regime there.

Belly at 2Blues is also a first class administrator with no bulldust. They should also be in the black.

I worry about Beasts, although they seem to have landed some good sponsors for 2014, so maybe they have also turned the corner. Here's hoping.

So I consider it a smart move by the ARU allowing / involving the clubs to have a hands on involvement in the development of the 3T.

With such good financial governance being applied at club level it will no doubt be carried through to the 3T.

ARU has been frustratingly quite or pretended to be very vague about the development of the 3T but the more i see it evolve the more the dominos align.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Pirates, surprisingly, made a modest loss of about $30k this year. The balance sheet took that glancing blow with ease and still looks quite strong.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Accounts for Uni, Wicks, Marlins, Gordon, Rats are in and have reported profits.

Pirates have had a modest loss.

Any reports from Beasts, Norths, Emus, Hobbits, Woodies, and the Mighty 2 Blues?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
A little. Most of the money going into it was council or government grants. And a lot of volunteer sweat.

Status
Not open for further replies.