• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Missed 4's - but Manly got up.
3s went right to full time, and we were playing catch up the whole game. a couple of injuries in the backs saw new combinations needing to gel. goal kicking saw us come home on top.

2s fantastic display - dominant forward back, and backs running straight hitting the gaps, video of of that game needs to be sent to Cheika. Yes it is an incredibly strong backline (Swany, Vaevae, Hingano, Hooper, BJ), but they had loosies creating the go forward and then "earnt" the right to go wide running straight. Lost count how manly times Mitch Daniel & Rhys Dombkins held the ball carrier up to create the turn over.

1s the first 20 was a huge test in defense, the Wests huge front row hitting the line but sent backwards. Spending some time in our half defending gradually wore the Pirates down, first visit to the Wests half resulted in points - Northam turned on the gas after the ball came through the back line.
More D another visit and another try, with the 3rd coming on the stroke of half time. Kept the pirates scoreless until the last 15 and they went over for 3 try's - no donations next week.
Petersen, Bergelin, Sig lead the way up front, and Sef was again strong.
Last 40 against Uni - Uni 0
First 40 against Wests - West 0
Need a repeat of that 80 minutes next week in defense.

Club Championships tight at the top now.

Saturday will be a great day of rugby, not only did Warringah win firsts, but all games were close. Hope the ABC don't take up too much space with their trucks.;)

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Best Grounds for watching rugby.

1. Concord Oval

2. TG Milner

Bit of a gap here to the next one.

3.Warringah

4. Parramatta

5.Penrith

6.Chatswood (terrible parking)

7. Woollahra (no cover but a great bar)

8. Coogee (no cover. Can get freezing)

9.North Sydney Oval (Colts is diabolical)

10.Sylvania (no cover)

11. Syd Uni (similar to Manly. Ok for young blokes to kick on after at Newtown or city pubs)

12. Manly

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 5 Results Summary

First Grade - Shute Shield
Gordon 15 Parramatta 27
Northern Suburbs 14 Eastern Suburbs 24
West Harbour 19 Manly 43
Warringah 31 Sydney University 30
Penrith 31 Southern Districts 41
Eastwood 23 Randwick 18

Second Grade - Colin Caird Shield
Gordon 29 Parramatta 22
Northern Suburbs 28 Eastern Suburbs 24
West Harbour 10 Manly 85
Warringah 24 Sydney University 27
Penrith 3 Southern Districts 61
Eastwood 48 Randwick 12

Third Grade - Henderson Shield
Gordon 23 Parramatta 17
Northern Suburbs 3 Eastern Suburbs 5 (how long since we have seen a low score like this?)
West Harbour 19 Manly 20
Warringah 17 Sydney University 34
Penrith 12 Southern Districts 24
Eastwood 0 Randwick 20

Fourth Grade - Henderson Cup
Gordon 13 Parramatta 17
Northern Suburbs 5 Eastern Suburbs 36
West Harbour 12 Manly 22
Warringah 21 Sydney University 13
Penrith 12 Southern Districts 12
Eastwood 26 Randwick 14

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Best Grounds for watching rugby.

1. Concord Oval

2. TG Milner

Bit of a gap here to the next one.

3.Warringah

4. Parramatta

5.Penrith

6.Chatswood (terrible parking)

7. Woollahra (no cover but a great bar)

8. Coogee (no cover. Can get freezing)

9.North Sydney Oval (Colts is diabolical)

10.Sylvania (no cover)

11. Syd Uni (similar to Manly. Ok for young blokes to kick on after at Newtown or city pubs)

12. Manly

I don't know how you can put a huge gap between TG Milner & rat park.

It was fantastic afternoon at Rat park this arvo.
Compared to TG Milner Rat park has more parking, actual seats in the grandstand and the northern, southern and eastern hills have great views of the field.
Not to mention the post game function complete with live band!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not a fan of the band.
How good was it to see a crowd there!
The joint went berserk when the penalty kick missed at the end.
It's always good to beat the students in a tight one.
Shame it's not there next week,the hill would be chockers.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not a fan of the band.
The crowd was great, a fantastic example of the community supporting it's team

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Not a fan of the band.
There will be a second fixture between the two later in the year at Rat Park. Whatever the result next week I predict that 2nd game will be huge - revenge for one, bragging rights for the other

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
Wests v Manly. Wests are a bit like the Waratahs. They look on the verge of greatness at times only to be undone by their own endless errors. If only I had a dollar for every time a Wests player dropped the ball. Their frequency of unforced handling errors is only matched by their lack of enthusiasm at the breakdown. They never win clean or quick ball and are often turned over or penalised. Their tackling is shocking. The only player who consistently chops down runners is their halfback,who is one of the best tacklers you will ever see,but the rest of them have a combination of poor technique and lack of intestinal fortitude. Unless Wests can address some basic flaws in their game I can't see them getting far this year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Wests v Manly. Wests are a bit like the Waratahs. They look on the verge of greatness at times only to be undone by their own endless errors. If only I had a dollar for every time a Wests player dropped the ball. Their frequency of unforced handling errors is only matched by their lack of enthusiasm at the breakdown. They never win clean or quick ball and are often turned over or penalised. Their tackling is shocking. The only player who consistently chops down runners is their halfback,who is one of the best tacklers you will ever see,but the rest of them have a combination of poor technique and lack of intestinal fortitude. Unless Wests can address some basic flaws in their game I can't see them getting far this year.
Were you out there today?
Gee the pirates dominated early and it was good d that kept them out.
5 games, 4 of which have included the top 4 sides that are quality teams.
Manly had the chances and converted each one to points.
How about seconds that was an incredible game.

Nah nothing like the Tahs, Wests ran straight.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
At least the Tahs can tackle. Pirates looked good early but the errors creep up and you can just see them crumbling under the weight of their own inadequacies. A flukey second try and Wests have basically lost the plot. They have had a tough draw no doubt but if they keep making endless unforced errors they will get beaten by everyone. Manly forwards were good,I'm not so convinced about the backs. Definitely contenders for the title this year.

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
I was talking to a player after the game and he told me of a curious incident. I had kind of noticed it at the time and wondered what was going on but he explained it to me. At a lineout the Wests half was standing towards the back of the lineout when the ref told him he had to stand in the tracks. He said I don't want to stand in the tracks I want to defend here. The ref said you have to stand there,you've got no one there. The player was thinking 'that's our call what's it got to do with you?' but he didn't want to argue further with the ref so did as he was told. Manly won the lineout and Lucas ran exactly at the spot where the Wests half would have covered. Mind you,there were plenty of other Wests forwards there to make the tackle. This led to a try. How can a ref tell a defender where to stand? I've never heard anything like it. Bizarre!!

Status
Not open for further replies.