• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Adding to the various posts above about refereeing, I've thought for some time that part of the problem is the lack of and / or poor signalling by refs to indicate why they've made a decision. If the signals were clearer and were always made consistently I suspect some of the crowd problems would disappear.

I fully agree with this Coach - it only needs for the ref to make a signal that he has seen an "offense" and the crowd will stop yelling out to draw his attention to it.
Then, if a penalty is made, make the next signal to show that he knew the problem right from the start, but was playing advantage.
Of course, the use of the "bird signal" will certainly be frowned up ;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I fully agree with this Coach - it only needs for the ref to make a signal that he has seen an "offense" and the crowd will stop yelling out to draw his attention to it.
Then, if a penalty is made, make the next signal to show that he knew the problem right from the start, but was playing advantage.
Of course, the use of the "bird signal" will certainly be frowned up ;)

My mind goes back to that great referee character Flip Westhuizen who wasn't above giving the finger to members of the crowd who heckled him and also wasn't above telling them in no uncertain terms why he was right and they were wrong. Flip was always entertaining and (I think) was popular with the players, but not the powers-that-be. Great after game speeches too from Flip :)

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Will the ABC Coverage of the Shute Shield survive the budget?
With $40 mill taken from the ABCs funding in the budget, will our much loved & great quality coverage of the Shute Shield survive?
Can our visionaries at G & G Rugby get an on line petition to support keeping the SS?
Our game doesn't need another blow. We need to keep the ABC coverage!!
Ideas, thoughts??

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Which club do you think this could be?
Norths? Easts?

Attachments

• ad.png
    ad.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 341

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Been fairly quiet on the thread this week.

Tips for Round 8 17/05/14
Southern Districts v West Harbour. Harbour gaining confidence, but the Hobbits at home in the Shire will be a tough challenge for them. Hobbits by 10. Pirates to get a bonus point.

Parramatta v Randwick. Great fightback by the wicks last week, but too little too late. Mighty 2 Blues at home will be too much for the Gallopers. Bonus points all round but M2B to win by 5 points.

Eastern Suburbs v Eastwood. Gotta go with the Woodies. Beasties have been like the French. Never know which team is going to turn up week in week out. Woodies by 15+.

Sydney University v Penrith. Emus gave the corporation a good scare in round 1 by coming out of the blocks firing on all fronts and taking an early lead. Ultimately they ran out of puff after oranges, and the superior fitness and preparation of the Students paid off for them. Students to once again get an early fright before they win by 15+.

Manly v Gordon. Can't go past the Marlins, who will win this in a canter by >30 points, unless they name their Colts team as First Grade.

Northern Suburbs v Warringah. Rats were lucky last week and need to have a sound victory against the Shoremen to prove their finals credentials after their finals campaign recently displayed some speed wobbles. Shoremen will fancy their chances if they can retain possession, keep it tight and play the game away from the Rats classy outside backs. My game of the round but I'm tipping the Rats to get the chocolates by < 8 in a tight game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Taqele Naiyaravoro is tipped to be on the bench for Tahs on Sunday. Probably won't be turning out for the M2B vs Wicks.
Still think the locals will have the edge, maybe not as many tries all round though.

Backrow

Allen Oxlade (6)
Taqele Naiyaravoro is tipped to be on the bench for Tahs on Sunday. Probably won't be turning out for the M2B vs Wicks.
Still thing the locals will have the edge, maybe not as many tries all round though.

Hopefully he gets some good game time either way. I am keen to see the big marn running around/over lion's or wicks

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Been fairly quiet on the thread this week.

Tips for Round 8 17/05/14

West Harbour - narrow win for the Pirates.
Parramatta - M2B win by 10+ (20+ if the big man plays)

Eastern Suburbs - Tala Grey inspired victory right at the buzzer.

Sydney University - 20+ for students, a few yellow cards in this one.

Manly - 30+ for Marlins.

Northern Suburbs - Crawford inspired Shoremen win with last play of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.