• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The tackle on O'Sullivan in the opening minutes of the game should have been yellow card if not red. There's a reason the Cumberland throw has been banned since the 70s and that reason is it's fvcking dangerous!! The TMO must have seen it a dozen times on replay yet nothing is done. Player safety is THE priority in contact sports. The officials have done a poor job.

TMO protocols are not the same in Shute Shield. TMO cannot act on foul play in Shute Shield.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
TMO protocols are not the same in Shute Shield. TMO cannot act on foul play in Shute Shield.

From a very windy Coogee Oval thought Eastwood went well and have picked up a lot since their early season form.
The game was won by a margin of 3 tries to 2 which was fair indication.
The Woodies & Wicks forwards went at each other with the honours even. The Woodies forwards got an edge in a few set pieces that was telling.
The Woodies backs won them the game - the outside centre channel seemed to work.
The Woodies are very skilled at either killing the ball or slowing its release from Rucks. The Ref today was ether too dopey or thought that was OK.
The Wicks were very brave and tough defenders.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
The tackle on O'Sullivan in the opening minutes of the game should have been yellow card if not red. There's a reason the Cumberland throw has been banned since the 70s and that reason is it's fvcking dangerous!! The TMO must have seen it a dozen times on replay yet nothing is done. Player safety is THE priority in contact sports. The officials have done a poor job.

So apparently the heckling that the referees/AR from the West Harbour supporters against Warringah was acceptable in your mind, but I just saw the replay, he fell awkwardly, that's all it was, there was absolutely no intent in it. Get your West Harbour goggles off mate, I think everyone is a bit sick of it.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Sorry mate - just went to look back - all those comments regarding that incident were muddled up and I got confused with what you said compared to what other people said. I sincerely apologise.

But as people above has said, TMO can't step in on foul play in Shute Shield. The reason is because there is only 1 game a week which has a TMO, so it was deemed unfair by the Clubs that there could be such intervention in just 1 of the 6 games. So whilst I do apologise for some of my remarks, I believe that you probably should have asked whether the TMO can intervene in Shute Shield before assuming that they can. And as I said, you would see a number of those types of tackles in every type of rugby every weekend, I think it was just unfortunate that O'Sullivan fell awkwardly.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Have to disagree with you. It was a judo throw (using opponents weight against them) - Alfie Langer (Rugby League) was very good at it. Even the ABC commentator mentioned it. Then changed his view.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Whilst it may be dangerous, I have been refereeing for 7 years now and we haven't heard much about this type of tackle considering the stuff we talk about, particularly the heightened awareness of tackles beyond the horizontal and contact with players who are in the air. I'm sure if the powers at be think it is an issue worth raising before it escalates then it will be.

T

turnovertwopasses

Was lucky enough to be at Woollahra yesterday for a classic David vs Goliath battle. Looked a classic case of the Marlins maybe being a bit complacent and expecting the win. Cannot fault the performance of the tricolours, they were simply outstanding. Similar to when Munster knocked off the All Blacks all those years ago in 1978, one team desperate, the other not as interested. Be interesting to see if there are any late season signings for the Marlins from here. Sydney Uni overpowering the Pirates another interesting result. Great win from Southern in their match against Parra. Great day of footy capped off by the mighty Tahs knocking off the overachieving Brumbies last night.

G

getemback10sir

I was out watching Gordon dismantle Norths. A thrilling game and it appears the future is bright for the Highlanders.

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Was lucky enough to be at Woollahra yesterday for a classic David vs Goliath battle. Looked a classic case of the Marlins maybe being a bit complacent and expecting the win. Cannot fault the performance of the tricolours, they were simply outstanding. Similar to when Munster knocked off the All Blacks all those years ago in 1978, one team desperate, the other not as interested. Be interesting to see if there are any late season signings for the Marlins from here. Sydney Uni overpowering the Pirates another interesting result. Great win from Southern in their match against Parra. Great day of footy capped off by the mighty Tahs knocking off the overachieving Brumbies last night.
Reasonably objective assessment of MMM's v Beasts - almost had me to the stupid aside re late signings . Frankly the Marlins have the players to go the distance as long as the pressure of being front runners doesn't kick in - a disappointing day below par performance but still nearly stole it . Any takers for Easts to be bolters for 6th spot?

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)

It wasn't a Cumberland throw - Clunies-Ross didn't use his leg at all, which was the essence of the Cumberland throw (essentially, an assisted trip). Clunies-Ross and O'Sullivan played together in the Trinity firsts a few years back. Hope O'Sullivan is OK - he's a potential Super Rugby talent.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They can have a run in the ARC, while you work on your grammar.
I see you are confused again old timer.
This is the Rugby forum,not the grammar forum.
Have you actually been to a game that he has played in,this year?
Or does your carer limit your Rugby viewing to the ABC?

senior

Peter Burge (5)
Really enjoyable day at Chatswood Oval on Saturday - Gordon turned their round 10 loss to Norths around in great fashion running out 44-7 victors. There was a great atmosphere, Gordon wore a 'harlequin' style jersey to celebrate the local village clubs. The ladies who had come to celebrate Ladies Day also seemed to be having a great time as Gordon 1s and 2s had bonus-point victories over their derby-rivals. While that's only their 4th win, I see that 6th place Randwick have only had 6 wins. There's definitely a clear divide between the top 4 and the rest of the comp. Gordon defeated Easts earlier in the year but will need a better performance after Easts beat Manly on the weekend. Up the Highlanders!

Status
Not open for further replies.