• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I am hearing though that there is still a decent chance that the SS will be on free to air in 2015. Albeit one of the major tv networks digital channels but free nonetheless.

On several occasions in recent seasons, the tv ratings in NSW for SS have been higher than the ratings for Sydney Swans matches. This is fact. And hopefully the leadership from NSWRU/SRU/ARU are making any prospective broadcaster aware of that.

Fingers crossed they can pull a Rabbit out of the Hat

Yes hope this comes together, but things don't happen because of hope -higher ratings than the Swans well that is something Commercial TV would pay attention to and let's hope SS and all our sponsors big and small really benifit.

Pretty sure it will rate better than the NRC - and NSWRU could build and benefit from their little baby.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Guys a loss could be a gain - could be a kick that may have been needed. to take it and make it bigger.

Hard work usually provides gains.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Guys a loss could be a gain - could be a kick that may have been needed. to take it and make it bigger.

Hard work usually provides gains.

I agree.
A network gets it for free - which is what they need - loads it up with ads and then tries to leverage the content with pre and post match and will want to use footage in its news.
[unlike me to be optimistic o_O]

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I agree.
A network gets it for free - which is what they need - loads it up with ads and then tries to leverage the content with pre and post match and will want to use footage in its news.
[unlike me to be optimistic o_O]
Yes - and I think it could pick up a number of viewers, what else is on on a Saturday arvo on FTA.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Yes the ABC flicked the SS. And that decision is a disgraceful decision made by the ABC and NOT Abbott and his band of merrymen. To disappoint @couldabeen for a bit, I will speak politics, but only briefly. After being a lifetime Labor Party voter, I have not voted for them since Keating's arrogance got him into the main chair. I voted for Abbott on the belief that the reckless government spending from the previous 2 PM's (the worst 2 in our nations history) would stop and we'll see things back to the way they should be. Sadly though, it is clear IMO only, that Mr Abbott is clearly out of his depth.

That all said, I read in detail the government proposal for the funding cut. The cuts are at 1% of the ABC budget per annum for the next 5 years. So it's not a massive hit in 1 year as the scribes will have us all believe. 1%. That's bugger all. The decision to cut the SS by ABC was made because the management were looking for an excuse to do so.

I am hearing though that there is still a decent chance that the SS will be on free to air in 2015. Albeit one of the major tv networks digital channels but free nonetheless.

On several occasions in recent seasons, the tv ratings in NSW for SS have been higher than the ratings for Sydney Swans matches. This is fact. And hopefully the leadership from NSWRU/SRU/ARU are making any prospective broadcaster aware of that.

Fingers crossed they can pull a Rabbit out of the Hat
I think the ABC cut the shows that would piss off the most people so they turn on Abbott. If the ratings figures could include those who tape and watch the SS later that night or next day as they are at games etc the networks and ARU would then see how many people watch the SS and would blow the NRC games ratings out of the park. 1 Mill for 20 weeks of rugby less what the NSWRU give is pocket money to any broadcasting station and is a good filler for the 3pm saturday slot.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think the ABC cut the shows that would piss off the most people so they turn on Abbott. If the ratings figures could include those who tape and watch the SS later that night or next day as they are at games etc the networks and ARU would then see how many people watch the SS and would blow the NRC games ratings out of the park. 1 Mill for 20 weeks of rugby less what the NSWRU give is pocket money to any broadcasting station and is a good filler for the 3pm saturday slot.
Yep, taped every week and watched when I get home.

I think a FTA could do very well picking the SS up, and the SS would also benefit.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes - and I think it could pick up a number of viewers, what else is on on a Saturday arvo on FTA.

Repeat after me: the Shute Shield is a Sydney-based competition, which would attract virtually no viewers other than in NSW and the ACT.

Why would a FTA Network which, by definition, is looking for a national audience, have the slightest interest in it?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Repeat after me: the Shute Shield is a Sydney-based competition, which would attract virtually no viewers other than in NSW and the ACT.

Why would a FTA Network which, by definition, is looking for a national audience, have the slightest interest in it?

Q. Are you a rugby tragic?
A. ?

Q. Was Aussie Rules predominately Victorian VFL.
A. ?

Q. So yes Rugby is far stronger in NSW and QLD so you are saying role over?
A. ?

Yeah I'm saying I see allot of up side and growth of a FTA pics it up.

One code grows from grass roots and expands to other states, I see allot of upside in focusing on NSW, and QLD premier rugby and growing.

Do they show FTA rugby league in WA ( I don't know)?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Both the NRL and the AFL had their genesis in single-city competitions.

However, both were strong and rich enough to recruit the best players from the whole country (and, in the case of the NSWRL, internationally as well). The VFL was a de facto national competition, and the NSWRL, with the clubs rolling in poker machine money, was far more successful than we can ever hope for any of our club competitions to be.

As for my background, I have been watching, and playing, rugby since I was a 10 year old which, for the record, was 1952. My home team was Eastwood, and I used to trudge up the hill to the old Eastwood Oval, sixpence in hand, to watch the Woodies get beaten in all four grades, most weeks. When I was old enough, I played.

Not sure what your point is about rugby being stronger in NSW and QLD. Yes, it is. But even QLD has no interest in the SS. It was not telecast live in QLD. They used to show a game from Ballymore on Friday nights, cannot remember whether it was live or delayed. But that was long ago.

Not only is the Shute Shield running on empty in financial terms, the competing codes are richer and stronger than ever.

We rolled over years ago. Or, rather, we were rolled.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure what your point is about rugby being stronger in NSW and QLD. Yes, it is. But even QLD has no interest in the SS So it is not shown up there. It was not telecast live in QLD. They used to show a game from Ballymore on Friday nights great i was unaware of this, cannot remember whether it was live or delayed. But that was long ago.

Not only is the Shute Shield running on empty in financial terms, the competing codes are richer and stronger than ever.

We rolled over years ago. Or, rather, we were rolled.

Running on empty on financial terms - a number of clubs now have posted at 2 year or more of profitable trading, so the balance sheets are improving.

There is nothing stopping premier rugby being on shown to FTA in NSW / QLD - i'm sure when i fish in Northern NSW I'm watching different shows at different times with different advertisements. Whose to say it cant jus hit the Sydney market if desired

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I admire your optimism. As for me, I know that our game reached a peak of popularity in 2003.

Even the Shute Shield grand final drew 15,000 to the SFS in those heady years.

The game was booming, and it has been in steady decline ever since.

When we look back objectively we can see that part of the success was related to the turmoil in league in the aftermath of their civil war, part was due to the on-field success of the Wallabies, and in general the game seemed to provide a better spectacle in those days.

The 2007 RWC was not the cause of the slide, but it was certainly a benchmark in how a game that used to be capable of entertaining the general public changed for the worse.

The white-anting of the ARC by the Sydney Clubs, plus the unfortunate decision to start it in a World Cup year (when sponsors and supporters and key players were all fixated on the Cup) simply added to the slide.

I am sorry to be a pessimist, or maybe I am a realist, but everywhere I look I see that our backs are to the wall. I cannot think of any easy answers.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I admire your optimism. As for me, I know that our game reached a peak of popularity in 2003.

Even the Shute Shield grand final drew 15,000 to the SFS in those heady years.

The game was booming, and it has been in steady decline ever since.

When we look back objectively we can see that part of the success was related to the turmoil in league in the aftermath of their civil war, part was due to the on-field success of the Wallabies, and in general the game seemed to provide a better spectacle in those days.

The 2007 RWC was not the cause of the slide, but it was certainly a benchmark in how a game that used to be capable of entertaining the general public changed for the worse.

The white-anting of the ARC by the Sydney Clubs, plus the unfortunate decision to start it in a World Cup year (when sponsors and supporters and key players were all fixated on the Cup) simply added to the slide.

I am sorry to be a pessimist, or maybe I am a realist, but everywhere I look I see that our backs are to the wall. I cannot think of any easy answers.

Not all clubs there chief. IIRC there were 9 Sydney clubs very supportive of the ARC, and 3 who weren't. Those 3 were nicknamed the coalition of the unwilling

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Running on empty on financial terms - a number of clubs now have posted at 2 year or more of profitable trading, so the balance sheets are improving.

There is nothing stopping premier rugby being on shown to FTA in NSW / QLD - i'm sure when i fish in Northern NSW I'm watching different shows at different times with different advertisements. Whose to say it cant jus hit the Sydney market if desired
But a number of clubs are running on empty I'm afraid.How many clubs now have their own licensed premises for example?Speak to a few of the club presidents for the real picture.All clubs are depending on sponsorship to varying degrees,& without it many clubs are no better off than some of the subdistrict clubs.
And bear in mind posting a profit is aided by the grant given to the clubs up until now, by the ARU, an amount no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.