• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
To change the subject :)

I'd like to suggest some changes to the rolling maul laws to provide some chance for the defensive side to stop them, given that all situations in rugby are supposed to provide a contest for both sides.
(1) Either the side in possession be given a count of 3 to use the ball after the maul stops moving forward the FIRST time or the defending side be allowed to legally collapse the maul after it has stopped moving forward the first time
(2) The "use it or lose it" law be applied when a rolling maul collapses over the try line and the ball is held up. (Note: A player TACKLED over the try line but unable to ground the ball should still result in a scrum to the attacking side.)

I'd also like to see referees applying 3 existing laws more consistently:
(1) stop attacking players cleaning out defenders not attached or in close proximity to the ruck or maul
(2) make sure the ball carrier at the back of the maul is properly bound ie not just touching the jumper of another player
(3) ensure attacking players joining a rolling maul come through "the gate"

Any thoughts?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have a simple view about this relatively recent scourge on the game. In rugby, it is a basic tenet that the ball carrier can be tackled.

In my opinion, as soon as the maul stops moving forward, it should no longer be refereed as a maul, but as general play.

So if a side is good enough to generate an unstoppable maul, they should be rewarded with whatever territory they can gain, but the moment that momentum is stopped the defence can tackle the ball carrier, by hook or by crook, as the current phrase has it.

All this "through the gate" bullshit is ruining the game, both at the maul, and at the breakdown.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am informed by a number of referees that 'being bound' does not mean hanging on to the bloke in fronts jumper wit your fingers so we may see a better interpretation of this over the next few weeks.
If you change the 'Clean Out' interpretation the NZ's and Tom Carter will be buggered:) as they walk plays 5mtre from the ruck

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am informed by a number of referees that 'being bound' does not mean hanging on to the bloke in fronts jumper wit your fingers so we may see a better interpretation of this over the next few weeks.
If you change the 'Clean Out' interpretation the NZ's and Tom Carter will be buggered:) as they walk plays 5mtre from the ruck

One thing the refs often miss is the ball carrier at the back of the rolling maul who disengages then quickly re-engages as backs etc come past him (through the gate) and join the maul. The ball carrier lets go for a moment and then binds again on the new player in front of him. This means he is not bound and must be pinged, but refs are concentrating on the almighty mess up front with two sets of forwards milling around like froth in a waterfall.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
One thing the refs often miss is the ball carrier at the back of the rolling maul who disengages then quickly re-engages as backs etc come past him (through the gate) and join the maul. The ball carrier lets go for a moment and then binds again on the new player in front of him. This means he is not bound and must be pinged, but refs are concentrating on the almighty mess up front with two sets of forwards milling around like froth in a waterfall.

Perfect example of this in the Chief's first try last weekend. The ball carrier disengaged twice, called by the commentator, but the referee apparently didn't see it and a try was awarded soon after.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
All this "through the gate" bullshit is ruining the game, both at the maul, and at the breakdown.

Through the gate is just another area where refs have too much leeway for interpretation. So long as someone comes from on side at the ruck to either compete for possession when the ball is out or to tackle a ball carrier, that should suffice.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 13 Team Lists

Eastern Suburbs vs Sydney University
Eastern Suburbs:
1. Clay Brodie, 2. Ryan Dalziel, 3. Rhys Brodie, 4. Fergus Lee-Warner, 5. Kyle Baillie , 6. Tala Gray , 7. Liam Moylan, 8, Sam Stitcher (C), 9, Jack Grant , 10. Robbie Mate, 11. Will Paterson , 12. Jono Lance , 13. Charlie Clifton , 14. Tom Merritt, 15. Archie King
Sydney University:
1. Alastair Ryan, 2. Declan Moore, 3. Tomas Robertson, 4. Rohan O'Regan, 5. Matthew Philip, 6. Jake Wainwright, 7. David Hickey, 8, Mitchell Whiteley, 9, Jake Gordon, 10. Stuart Dunbar, 11. Greg Jeloudev, 12. Jim Stewart, 13. Tom Kingston, 14. Mark O'Dare, 15. Angus Roberts

Eastwood vs Manly (Televised Live on 7TWO)
Eastwood:
1. Martin Plokstys, 2. Sam Needs, 3. Rob Lagudi, 4. Jared Barry, 5. James Neale, 6. Michael Kovacic, 7. Hugh Perrett, 8, Pat Sio, 9, Matt Gonzalez, 10. Jai Ayoub, 11. Ben Shorter, 12. Tom Hill, 13. Mike McDougall, 14. John Grant, 15. Ben Batger
Manly:
1. Dane Maraki, 2. Vance Elliot, 3. Andrew Collins, 4. Ed Gower, 5. Ryan Melrose, 6. Harry Bergelin, 7. Mitch Daniel, 8, Daniel Alley, 9, Matt Lucas (c), 10. Sam Lane, 11. Chris Yarrington, 12. Reece Hodge, 13. Dennis Pili-Gaitau, 14. Richard Hooper, 15. Shaun Treweek

Parramatta vs Southern Districts
Parramatta:
1. Nick Blacklock, 2. James Holden, 3. Louis Musson, 4. Peter Brush, 5. Andrew Cox, 6. Daniel Tamone, 7. Evan Tuckwell, 8, Kura Lalaga, 9, Kaleb Rech, 10. Nathan Langsford, 11. Petero Satogo, 12. Chris Nay, 13. Feka Silva, 14. Larry Hermens, 15. Tomu Mataika
Southern Districts:
1. Salesi Maumalanga, 2. Max Holland, 3. Willie Maumalanga, 4. Fili Tufui, 5. Jake Douglas, 6. Andrew Leota, 7. Jono Hayes, 8, Marcus Carbone, 9, Waldo Wessels, 10. Ben Volavola, 11. Alex Gibbon, 12. Apolosi Latunipulu , 13. Feluela Finau, 14. Afa Pakalani, 15. Paul Asquith

Penrith vs Northern Suburbs
Penrith:
1. Emanuele Fuamatu, 2. Sam Siaki, 3. Ikuna Manuofetoa, 4. Doug Want, 5. Joe Neikere, 6. Tu'itakau Kioa, 7. Tupea Mata'u, 8, Jason Havea ©, 9, Michael Baysaat, 10. Campbell Hislop, 11. Sione Pusi'aki Fifita, 12. Paueli Halafihi, 13. Marika Meo, 14. Paula Makasini, 15. Luke Flower
Northern Suburbs:
1. Kev McNamara, 2. Will Weeks, 3. Tyron Rota, 4. Nick Palmer, 5. Ben Matwijow, 6. Hugh Sinclair, 7. Will Miller, 8, Michael Wells, 9, Tim Duchesne, 10. Josh Kay, 11. Lochie Creagh, 12. James Brown , 13. Jordan Heyer, 14. Peter Schuster, 15. John Porch

West Harbour vs Randwick
West Harbour :
1. Dave Lolohea, 2. Daniel Midghall, 3. Michael Ala'alatoa, 4. Bradford Kapa, 5. Tom Games (c), 6. Kelly Meafua, 7. Cohen Masson, 8, Matt Coles, 9, Max Beer, 10. Ben James, 11. Tito Mua, 12. Rory Sidey, 13. Henry Seavula, 14. Joel Brooks, 15. Dave Harvey
Randwick:
1. Tristain Goodbody, 2. David Vea, 3. Dashville Kuate, 4. Dave Parsons, 5. Will Munro, 6. Sam Figg , 7. Jack Johnson, 8, Mark Baldwin, 9, Mitch Short, 10. David Horwitz, 11. Tom Hiddleston, 12. Ben Starkey, 13. Henry Hutchinson, 14. Latu Latinipalu, 15. Andrew Norton

Warringah vs Gordon
Warringah:
1. Rory O'Connor, 2. Robert Kelly, 3. Wayne Borsack, 4. Vincent Wright, 5. Junior Palau, 6. James Cunningham, 7. Sam Crompton, 8, Sam Ward, 9, Josh Holmes, 10. Hamish Angus, 11. Chris Arnold, 12. Josh Gillard, 13. Michael Adams, 14. Jamie Forbes, 15. Dave Feltscheer
Gordon:
1. Aritema Ralulu, 2. James Wilkinson, 3. Tobias Guikabau, 4. Mark Johnson, 5. Harry Rorke, 6. Jack Dempsey, 7. Luke Rissman, 8, Luke Papworth, 9, Terry Preston, 10. Will Shirvington, 11. Alex Gregory, 12. Erik Moss, 13. Lucas Simkin, 14. Matt McDougall, 15. Sione Ala

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think that the Rebels boys that are not required for Wallabies or Rising duty are all being released to play in Sydney if they choose to do so.

Can't confirm anything though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe Mumm is under RUPA game restrictions. IIRC RUPA members are restricted to 28 games per year.
How many games would he have played for Exeter this year before he came here, and how many (assume Stars) NRC games do they intend playing him in?

That may rule him out of any club appearances, also there may not be enough rounds left for him to qualify for The Corporation if they make finals this year.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Ok, so I'm having another moment of weakness coz it's Mungo night and logged on here again. Twice in 1 day. That must be a record for me.

On the above Hugh, is Mumm contracted for this year to the Tahs or next year? I don't think he comes under RUPA rules until his contract commences within RUPA jurisdiction.

I could also be horribly wrong...................which is not rare these days

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He played for the Tahs in SAF didn't he. That would mean he was under some form of contract, probably a short term contract like Stephen Hoiles or Tom Murday at the Reds was on.

Belly, Would he have been eligible for to play finals for The Corporation if he turned out in all of the 6 regular rounds left?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
He played for the Tahs in SAF didn't he. That would mean he was under some form of contract, probably a short term contract like Stephen Hoiles or Tom Murday at the Reds was on.

Belly, Would he have been eligible for to play finals for The Corporation if he turned out in all of the 6 regular rounds left?

Good memory Hugh, yes I think he did play in against the yarpies.

As for his finals eligibility....yes if he plays the next 6 games he should be eligible. Usually the rep player rule would be enough to get him in, but he wasn't here at the start of the year so couldn't declare Uni as his club. In fact, I think if he only plays 2 club games this year, he can then claim that if he wasn't with Tahs he would've been available for Uni and get in that way also.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Weather forecast is not looking too good. I suspect that we may have a repeat of Rounds 3 or 7 with more than 1 oval closed by Council, or just restricted to First Grade only.

Games are at:
TG Millner - at least 2nds and 1sts will be on regardless, if not all grades. 3's and 4's may be moved to the top ovals.
Woollahra Oval - probably only 1st Grade will go ahead. Not a good ground when it rains.
Merrylands RSL Oval - probably all grade games will go ahead.
Nepean Rugby Park - Never seen it in the wet but it doesn't strike me as a ground that would slop up too much. Should get most grades played.
Concord Oval - All grades will probably be on. Excellent surface.
Rat Park - Council can be a bit protective of the surface and close it as a precaution. Possibly only 1st grade.

Hugh's tipping agency is closed for the moment, as it is busy recalibrating the tip-o-meter for the anticipated slop factor. Tips for round 13 to go up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.