• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
A little bit of history. Until the late fifties or so,if you lived in a club's catchment, you had to play for that club.

Believe it or not, the rule applied in both rugby and loig, although of course there was plenty of room for rorting.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A little bit of history. Until the late fifties or so,if you lived in a club's catchment, you had to play for that club.

Believe it or not, the rule applied in both rugby and loig, although of course there was plenty of room for rorting.

And Sydney Uni players needed to be bona fide undergraduates.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Interesting information that I found on SURPASS (a network of ex players/club supporters that Sydney Uni use to help mentor/support current players).

Many people were unaware that the club is allowed to have 30% of its members as “community members” – these are members who are not undergraduates or graduates of the University. No one knows how many members the club has, let alone the proportion of our current members and players who are not graduates or undergraduates of the University. The President indicated that there were something like 250 to 300 members. The Sydney University Sports Foundation Constitution refers to “members” not “players” but if this interpretation is accepted, then, theoretically, every player for the club could be a community member (not an undergraduate or graduate) and the club would not be in breach of the SUSF Constitution. Clearly this would not be acceptable to the University.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm not usually a supporter of conspiracy theories but if you remove the 2 clubs where young players can get an opportunity to play Shute Shield locally in the west then the only remaining honourable thing to do is to allow the vultures to pick the best of the talent for themselves. There won't be a problem with rugby in the west because we'll just kill it and have none, problem solved. ALP/LIB/NSWRU patterned thought bubbles.

So the imbeciles at NSWRU think the best way to develop the game in the west is to pull down the years of hard work and tradition of the existing clubs and promote a sub district club from the Illawarra.

Who the fuck are these idiots and can they show any more disrespect to the people who don't live within their perceived boundaries of where the game should be played. Mick Doyle appears to be a nice bloke who played his career at Easts but he has got this wrong in a big way.

Pushing clubs into amalgamation will have people deserting the game in droves as they have been on field enemies for years. It makes no greater sense than having Randwick and Easts, Gordon and Norths or Manly and Warringah forced together. If we could pull that off we could get the competition down to 8 teams and have a home and away fixtures calendar.

What were the performance criteria on which this plan is based. The financial positions of some of these clubs is less stable than at least one of the western clubs. Do the Northern and Eastern clubs all fulfil the same playing criteria and is it based on club championship points or a mix of current strength (1st and 2nd grade) and future strength (Colts).

Try this on for a fix.
  • Enact rules that retire some of the sycophants who have been hanging around the NSWRU for to long and don't make decisions based on what is good for the game but in how it will effect their club affiliation
  • Stop the perception/reality of a pathway where you have to attend a GPS school and play in a koala squad by your 14th birthday, particularly to the parents, and then play for 1 of 4 Shute Shield clubs if you are to play senior representative rugby.
  • Enact rules that inhibit clubs from taking the majority share of school leaving talent each season and distribute the talent more evenly. It can be done if you take the decision making away from those who benefit most from the current farce.
  • Play some high level rugby at Parramatta Stadium or Penrith Stadium (did I hear the crash of 20,000 lattes hitting the ground)
  • Inject some of the $1.4 million directly to the clubs affected most
Who knows what might happen if the governing body actually created a semi-even playing structure. Some of the kids who see the game as a boutique sport for privileged white kids from the rich suburbs might actually see a future for themselves in the game. Moving deckchairs on the Titanic won't.

B

BellyTwoBlues

putting the cat among the pigeons, someone sent me this today. It is a pertinent point given the pointing of the bone is again in the direction of the clubs in the west. I will not name the author, except to say that he/she has absolutely NOTHING to do with western Sydney Rugby.

I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of the experts out there.

'It's absolutely nuts. My point is who is more poorly managed? You guys and Penrith who are effectively running on a shoe string, still field teams and every year have the best players plucked away, or the wealthier clubs (Easts, Norths, Wests, Gordon) who are on 500k plus budgets with better facilities, with rugby schools in their catchments still trotting out below par performances? To me they should be doing more of the heavy lifting. Not you guys. When are they going to ask questions about them? (Club name withheld) are a disgrace and have been for 10 years. Money, schools, facilities. How are they f@#king it up so badly?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Because essentially I can see the NRC with a more professional and national setup superseding the current development cycle. Instead of clubs feeding their best pro players into the NRC clubs, they act as developers for the NRC clubs to make professionals out of players. Larger areas and a lack of history although have disadvantages could certainly lend to greater support such as in League or ALF.

The District comp came out of bureaucrats drawing lines on maps in 1899. Thats also a point, the district comp as it stands although it holds tradition was designed as a developmental tool 115 years ago now, does it still work? yes, but does it work to its potential? definitely not.
And who will fund this brave new world?
Very few clubs in any code in any grade are profitable anywhere in the world.
Turning the NRC into a national club rugby comp(cos that's all it is ,sans Super players) is many,many times more expensive to run than the existing structures.
In the real world of Rugby in Australia,the ARU is still mugging tuck shop money from 8 yo's.So they ain't going to be funding it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And who will fund this brave new world?
Very few clubs in any code in any grade are profitable anywhere in the world.
Turning the NRC into a national club rugby comp(cos that's all it is ,sans Super players) is many,many times more expensive to run than the existing structures.
In the real world of Rugby in Australia,the ARU is still mugging tuck shop money from 8 yo's.So they ain't going to be funding it.

The "plan" which appeared in the Telegraph today is almost like a Monty Python sketch. About 15-20 years ago Parramatta were really struggling, but they've gradually built themselves up and after not doing much to help them for all that time, NSWRU decide to move them, change their name and spend bucket loads of money doing it. Penrith have been in a downward spiral for close to 10 years and again have received little support from NSWRU since about 2002. Same deal for them. Then they want to move one of their most successful clubs (Eastwood) into an area where Parramatta have some involvement. Then they want to bring in Cambelltown to fill the spot left from the Parramatta/Penrith merger - and they suddenly have $1.4 million to do it. How much of the $1.4 million is going to be wasted on relocations and mergers and how much will/would actually make it to the coal face?

IIRC Cambelltown moved from Kentwell Cup to Illawarra this year as they were struggling to be competitive in KC. If NSWRU started tomorrow on the ground with juniors, it would take 10 years to build them into a potential SS club. By all means do that, but do it properly.

Support Penrith and Parra with DOs on the ground and in the primary schools, help both clubs set up and/or support existing village clubs.

Just leave Eastwood alone, they're doing quite nicely without NSWRU micromanaging where they play.

This has all the hallmarks of a traditional NSWRU money burning cluster fuck.

EDIT: The only positive I can see is that someone at NSWRU has realised that there is a place called western Sydney and it might be a good idea to get out there and try to get more kids out there playing rugby.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
BTB, I am interested to hear whether you agree with all/most of the
opinions expressed by your "anonymous" correspondent above , or
are you simply providing a mixture for a little stirring ?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
putting the cat among the pigeons, someone sent me this today. It is a pertinent point given the pointing of the bone is again in the direction of the clubs in the west. I will not name the author, except to say that he/she has absolutely NOTHING to do with western Sydney Rugby.

I'd be keen to hear the thoughts of the experts out there.

'It's absolutely nuts. My point is who is more poorly managed? You guys and Penrith who are effectively running on a shoe string, still field teams and every year have the best players plucked away, or the wealthier clubs (Easts, Norths, Wests, Gordon) who are on 500k plus budgets with better facilities, with rugby schools in their catchments still trotting out below par performances? To me they should be doing more of the heavy lifting. Not you guys. When are they going to ask questions about them? (Club name withheld) are a disgrace and have been for 10 years. Money, schools, facilities. How are they f@#king it up so badly?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I had a look through the team lists from the weekend I found this interesting

Ex Parramatta players at other clubs in 1st grade :

Scott Podmore (Norths), Dave Harvey (West Harbour), Jordan Goddard (Gordon) - Not sure on a lot of the Penrith players. That is a fairly low number compared to a number of other clubs. Parramatta actually have 2 or 3 in the current first grade side who are from other clubs (not that high a number but consistent with players searching for opportunity).

Not sure on ex Parra juniors at other clubs. I find it insignificant and poor to complain about budgets when every club has been established for a number of decades now at least and has had time to put in appropriate infrastructure and support systems to create a larger budget for the club to spend(perhaps the only exception being Uni).

Whilst I am appreciative of the need to have clubs in the West for people to call Parramatta successful is like calling Gordon successful in the last three or four seasons.

Largely stationed around the 10th and 11th positions with a few fleeting appearances in the 7th,8th and 9th positions in 1st grade and other grades.

I would be happy to be proved wrong but I think some success would be classified as finishing 2 or 3 times minimum over a 10 year period at least in the top 6 or 7 of the club championship?

The point about marquee players I find interesting Parramatta currently has two Tatafu and Big T whilst I am sure they do support the club and can be seen watching/playing on Saturday frequently if able to have they actually significantly lifted the playing performance of the club? Would Parramatta be like Penrith now without those two? Maybe they help in retaining players not necessarily attracting?

In terms of schools if you want to signify a school being in the area as access to that school for players doesn't Parramatta have access to Kings, Westfield Sports, Oakhill (in between Eastwood and Parra) it also seems to have better access to facilities than a lot of other clubs and other than the change rooms Granville is not a bad facility - Penrith I am not so sure.

I do find it interesting that Parramatta is regarded as a club who have it poor, Penrith from my perception is a club that let's everyone they know that they have aspirations but no one around to help them realise that.

Whilst money can solve it in terms of importing players (something like 60k a year would allow Penrith to set up 3 or 4 houses(15 to 20 players) with free or heavily discounted accommodation to get players in). I am not sure if this is the only thing stopping players appearing for Penrith or Parramatta for that matter.

To sum things up :

I don't think Parramatta is actually that bad and it does annoy me when complaints are made from Parramatta supporters regarding equality they are no worse off than a lot of the other Shute Shield clubs. They do need to improve performance though like a few other clubs but clubs do go through periods like this. Parramatta Juniors is still one of the biggest junior areas I think?

Penrith as discussed before have a large lack of volunteer nous/experience in terms of turning the club around and just expect the NSWRU to provide them everything. This could be due to the lack of set up the NSWRU provided in the initial years of the Shute Shield but the fact still remains a lot of players(Rugby League mainly) do come from this area and they need to find ways to attract and retain like all other clubs do. They do have an issue with schools and that pathway that no other club has to deal with really in that they have no direct area/other link to any large rugby schools.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Days like today, where the standard of execution of skills is simply terrible, really test the faithful. Two Blues simply well below the required standard today but managed to escape with a draw and a bonus point.

Ignoring the quality of some of the play from both teams, it was an entertaining game in many ways. MTBs very very lucky to get away with a draw.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 17 Team Lists
Gordon vs Manly
Gordon:
1. Nick Fraser, 2. James Wilkinson, 3. Lefu Iaopo, 4. Luke Heavey, 5. Ruairidh Wilson, 6. Jack Dempsey, 7. Luke Rissman, 8, Jordan Goddard, 9, Pat Curtin, 10. Will Shirvington, 11. Sione Ala, 12. Tui Tuisavaii, 13. Lucas Simkin, 14. Matt McDougall, 15. Erik Moss
Manly:
1. Dane Maraki, 2. James Hilterbrand, 3. Jerome Vaai, 4. Ryan Melrose, 5. Caderyn Neville, 6. Harry Bergelin, 7. Mitch Daniel, 8, Dan Alley, 9, Matt Lucas (c), 10. Sam Lane, 11. Alex Northam, 12. John Fakai, 13. Dennis Pili-Gaitau, 14. Richard Hooper, 15. Reece Hodge

Northern Suburbs vs Eastern Suburbs
Northern Suburbs:
1. Nick Curtis, 2. Scott Podmore, 3. Tyron Rota, 4. Ben Matwijow, 5. Nick Palmer, 6. James Brown, 7. Will Miller, 8, Hugh Sinclair, 9, Tim Duchesne, 10. Mitch Walton, 11. Lochie Creagh, 12. Lachlan Porteous, 13. Jordy Heyer, 14. Richard Woolf, 15. John Porch
Eastern Suburbs:
1. Clay Brodie, 2. Ryan Dalziel, 3. Jake Ilnicki, 4. BJ Edwards, 5. Fergus Lee-Warner, 6. Dan Elsom, 7. James Graham, 8, Tom Williams, 9, Jack Grant, 10. Archie King, 11. Tom Merrit, 12. Will Fay, 13. Charlie Clifton, 14. Will Paterson, 15. Cohan Guerra

Parramatta vs West Harbour
Parramatta:
1. Nick Blacklock, 2. James Holden, 3. Nigel Vaifale, 4. Peter Brush, 5. Andrew Cox, 6. Pat Tahaafe, 7. Daniel Tamone, 8, Kura Lalaga, 9, Kaleb Rech, 10. Nathan Langsford, 11. Petero Satogo, 12. Simon Tevita, 13. Feka Silva, 14. Luke Casey, 15. Tomu Mataika
West Harbour:
1. Michael Ala'alatoa, 2. Daniel Midghall, 3. Cameron Orr, 4. Tom Games (c), 5. Bradford Kapa, 6. Jordan Tuapou, 7. Cohen Masson, 8, Matt Coles, 9, Max Beer, 10. Dave Harvey, 11. Graeme Kolomalu, 12. Rory Sidey, 13. Ben James, 14. Tito Mua, 15. Angus Le Lievre

Randwick vs Eastwood (Televised Live on 7Two)​
Randwick:
1. Toa Asa, 2. Peter Nau, 3. Dashville Kuate, 4. Jock Armstrong, 5. Will Munro, 6. Stephen Hoiles, 7. Mark Baldwin, 8, Sam Figg, 9, Mitch Short, 10. Andrew Deegan, 11. Jack Pennington, 12. David Horwitz, 13. Brogan Roods, 14. Henry Hutchinson, 15. Andrew Kellaway
Eastwood:
1. Jed Gillespie, 2. Hugh Roach, 3. Martin Plokstys, 4. James Neale, 5. Jared Barry, 6. Michael Kovacic, 7. Hugh Perrett, 8, Joey Afualo, 9, Matt Gonzalez, 10. Jai Ayoub, 11. John Grant, 12. Tom Hill, 13. Mike McDougall, 14. Brad Curtis, 15. Ben Batger

Southern Districts vs Penrith
Southern Districts:
1. Salesi Maumalanga, 2. Liam Dwyer, 3. Cameron Betham, 4. Jake Douglas, 5. Andrew Leota, 6. Marcus Carbone, 7. Jono Hayes, 8, Jed Holloway, 9, Waldo Wessels, 10. Jordan McGregor, 11. Alex Gibbon, 12. Apolosi Latunipulu, 13. Deny Godinet, 14. Afa Pakalani, 15. Ben Connelly
Penrith:
1. Kevin Palavi Fiu, 2. Sam Siaki, 3. Ikuna Manuofetoa, 4. Doug Want, 5. Joe Neikere, 6. Jason Havea, 7. Sione Pusi'aki Fifita, 8, Paea Siualangapo, 9, Michael Baysaat, 10. Paku Ironside, 11. Campbell Hislop, 12. Paueli Halafihi, 13. Paula Sipu, 14. Paula Makasini, 15. Pio Tuitavake

Warringah vs Sydney University
Warringah:
1. Rory O'Connor, 2. Robert Kelly, 3. Wayne Borsack, 4. Sam Crompton, 5. Junior Palau, 6. James Cunningham, 7. Boyd Killingworth, 8, Sam Ward, 9, Josh Holmes, 10. Hamish Angus, 11. Seb Wileman, 12. Tyson Davis, 13. Chris Arnold, 14. Jamie Forbes, 15. Dave Feltscheer
Sydney University:
1. Jeremy Tilse, 2. Thomas Coolican, 3. Paddy Ryan, 4. Rohan O'Regan, 5. Matthew Philip, 6. Patrick McCutcheon, 7. David Hickey, 8, Mitchell Whiteley, 9, Richard Draper, 10. Angus Roberts, 11. Greg Jeloudev, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Jim Stewart, 14. Matthew Narracott, 15. Tom Kingston

Status
Not open for further replies.