• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Best Day Ever!

Big chance Gower will miss mad Monday this year!

To give up without a yelp against the Woods,then to throw away today's game,raises serious questions about their prospects.

It's fine not to have a plan B when your pack monsters everyone,but now that pack is missing Ale,Porecki & now Gower,lack of plan B might be an issue.

You forgot the game against Norths last week which followed a similar pattern. We seem to switch off for lengthy patches.

To choke you have to be good enough to win and then lose it mentally. I'm not sure that the current side are good enough. As I said in an earlier post, the 20 minutes after half time was as bad as I've seen a Manly team play for quite a while.

But we should be acknowledging Warringah - down 24-3 after 25 minutes and come back to win 29-24. They showed plenty of composure to get the job done.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Plans to merge Penrith and Parramatta into Western TwoBlues at Blacktown, move Eastwood to Castle Hill and make new Shute Shield team in Campbeltown. http://m.foxsports.com.au/rugby/shu...hem-to-blacktown/story-e6frf4pu-1227438393260

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy way to do it. One hopes that this is just an exercise in kite-flying. If Eastwood want to relocate, they can do it one their own - I can't see how/why NSWRU should be involved in that any more than making any other team relocate. Merging Parramatta and Penrith is bizarre.

If they have $1.4 to spend on this, why wouldn't they just provided DOs, resources and support for what's already there?

BTW, I'm generally supportive of spreading the game to Cambelltown, but I don't see how this will do that.

Maybe the NSWRU should get the people involved in the clubs concerned in as actually ask them what is the best way forward? I have the utmost respect for Mick Doyle, he's rugby through and through and works like the energiser bunny, but I question his knowledge of western Sydney.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I've got better things to do on a Sunday than be on here. But nonetheless, I've had to bundy on.

Here's our Club President's official statement.

Attachments

• Media Release 150712.pdf
    248.6 KB · Views: 546

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Courageous" in the Sir Humphrey Appleby sense?

Is there any other kind?
That sounds like a maybe to me.
A club must act in the best interests its members and other financial stakeholders. The M2B's would be mugs if they didn't seriously investigate any genuine offers, but the whole merge "M2B and Emus" is an absolute pie in the sky cloud gazing click bait thought bubble.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is there any other kind?

A club must act in the best interests its members and other financial stakeholders. The M2B's would be mugs if they didn't seriously investigate any genuine offers, but the whole merge "M2B and Emus" is an absolute pie in the sky cloud gazing click bait thought bubble.

After decades of inaction, this is what NSWRU come out with? I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Crazy way to do it. One hopes that this is just an exercise in kite-flying. If Eastwood want to relocate, they can do it one their own - I can't see how/why NSWRU should be involved in that any more than making any other team relocate. Merging Parramatta and Penrith is bizarre.

If they have $1.4 to spend on this, why wouldn't they just provided DOs, resources and support for what's already there?

BTW, I'm generally supportive of spreading the game to Cambelltown, but I don't see how this will do that.

Maybe the NSWRU should get the people involved in the clubs concerned in as actually ask them what is the best way forward? I have the utmost respect for Mick Doyle, he's rugby through and through and works like the energiser bunny, but I question his knowledge of western Sydney.

I'm not against the concept of a unified Western Sydney club. In terms of pooling resources etc. it could also provide the opportunity for a centralised club to focus on developing their juniors base.a how many junior clubs exist between both the clubs at present? Imagine if they combined their efforts. Maybe they could double that in quick succession.

The 30km issue really bugs me. I played a most of my junior rugby out of the Harlequins in Campbelltown. Had to make 2 or more trips a year as far south as Nowra. For reps the closest training base for me was U of Wollongong. Hell, when I started to play in Sydney proper I still lived out this way. Thirty kms is nothing.

As for Campbelltown. I am 100% behind this. Why? Well first it actually shows elements of future planning. The MacArthur in which Campbelltown is the primary centre is set to double it population over the next 15-20 years. That's not just me speculating. That's actual plans that have already started. I know for a fact that Campbelltown Council are current reviewing $100s million of dollars worth of D A application presently.

Yes, the Quins are currently playing in the Illawarra comp but that's also a strength. They have the potential to link with 14 clubs from day one. That's more than some of the existing Shute Shield clubs. They also have the opportunity to really focus in on the schools element out this way. From them alone they could generate very competitive junior squads pretty quickly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm not against the concept of a unified Western Sydney club. In terms of pooling resources etc. it could also provide the opportunity for a centralised club to focus on developing their juniors base.a how many junior clubs exist between both the clubs at present? Imagine if they combined their efforts. Maybe they could double that in quick succession.

The 30km issue really bugs me. I played a most of my junior rugby out of the Harlequins in Campbelltown. Had to make 2 or more trips a year as far south as Nowra. For reps the closest training base for me was U of Wollongong. Hell, when I started to play in Sydney proper I still lived out this way. Thirty kms is nothing.

As for Campbelltown. I am 100% behind this. Why? Well first it actually shows elements of future planning. The MacArthur in which Campbelltown is the primary centre is set to double it population over the next 15-20 years. That's not just me speculating. That's actual plans that have already started. I know for a fact that Campbelltown Council are current reviewing $100s million of dollars worth of D A application presently.

Yes, the Quins are currently playing in the Illawarra comp but that's also a strength. They have the potential to link with 14 clubs from day one. That's more than some of the existing Shute Shield clubs. They also have the opportunity to really focus in on the schools element out this way. From them alone they could generate very competitive junior squads pretty quickly.

I'm supportive of any efforts to involve Cambelltown in Shute Shield, but it has to be done properly with a long term strategy and a long term committment. The lesson from what has happened at Penrith is that if it's done half-arsed (by NSW not the Penrith people) it will fail and fail miserably.

I don't believe that in the process NSW should be moving out of Parramatta and pissing off the people at that club, who have steadily been improving for quite a few years now.

The situation at Penrith is one of the NSWRU's making and they need to fix it by helping the club. They can do the same with Parramatta and Cambelltown.

I can think of very few sports where amalgamating clubs has been a success. Think Wests and Balmain in rugby league - they've been together for about 15 years and still fight about almost everything. For better or worse, clubs thrive on local identity and once that's lost (particularly at amateur level) the whole thing falls apart.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm in favour of the whole idea, save for maybe shifting the Western Two Blues to Blacktown from Parramatta. I say keep Parramatta, shift Eastwood out to the Hills and promote Campbelltown. Penrith's players can go to either Parramatta or Campbelltown.

I'm aware of the geography and that it just sucks for Penrith. But they have never been competitive and something's got to give.

Besides, Penrith can still exist as a subbies team.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
hills is a mixture between woodies, two blues and penrith.

It also depends how you define the hills.

This is an idiotic idea which would only isolate those who have been dedicated to rugby in the west for millenia.

They should sell (or form an alliance with) penrith to UWS to form a penrith-UWS club that can compete strongly and support the Hawkesbury-Nepean/Blue Mountains region, leave eastwood be or incentivise them to move (they don't really do much in the local community anyway and increasingly moved their focus towards the hills because there's some racism there)

If they want a campbelltown club they need to put in long term dev plans for all the western sydney clubs.

Shute Shield really should become more amateur in the wake of improvements with the NRC but that will only happen in years to come. much to the dismay of traditionalists, but its reality.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
h
Shute Shield really should become more amateur in the wake of improvements with the NRC but that will only happen in years to come. much to the dismay of traditionalists, but its reality.
The NRC an only be a relatively short comp due to the structure of super footy.
How are "more amateur players" going to compete against the Super players?
The whole idea of NRC is to deepen the player pool.
You don't do that by making most of the players "more amateur"

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
hills is a mixture between woodies, two blues and penrith.

It also depends how you define the hills.

This is an idiotic idea which would only isolate those who have been dedicated to rugby in the west for millenia.

They should sell (or form an alliance with) penrith to UWS to form a penrith-UWS club that can compete strongly and support the Hawkesbury-Nepean/Blue Mountains region, leave eastwood be or incentivise them to move (they don't really do much in the local community anyway and increasingly moved their focus towards the hills because there's some racism there)

If they want a campbelltown club they need to put in long term dev plans for all the western sydney clubs.

That's essentially my point - bureaucrats drawing lines on maps or moving teams around without regards for local issues is a bit like 19th century colonial officials dividing up Africa with no regard to tribal boundaries.

I would have thought that interfering with a successful club like Eastwood would be the definition of rugby insanity.

Rugby needs to learn a big lesson from what's gone on in Penrith in the past 15 years. This proposal suggests we've learnt nothing.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
h
The NRC an only be a relatively short comp due to the structure of super footy.
How are "more amateur players" going to compete against the Super players?
The whole idea of NRC is to deepen the player pool.
You don't do that by making most of the players "more amateur"

Because essentially I can see the NRC with a more professional and national setup superseding the current development cycle. Instead of clubs feeding their best pro players into the NRC clubs, they act as developers for the NRC clubs to make professionals out of players. Larger areas and a lack of history although have disadvantages could certainly lend to greater support such as in League or ALF.

The District comp came out of bureaucrats drawing lines on maps in 1899. Thats also a point, the district comp as it stands although it holds tradition was designed as a developmental tool 115 years ago now, does it still work? yes, but does it work to its potential? definitely not.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The District comp came out of bureaucrats drawing lines on maps in 1899. Thats also a point, the district comp as it stands although it holds tradition was designed as a developmental tool 115 years ago now, does it still work? yes, but does it work to its potential? definitely not.

No the current district compeition grew organically based on clubs which were established in particular areas. No-one in head office decided where any of these clubs would be established, they just filled a need. As new suburbs developed addtional clubs came into being and others fell by the wayside, playing strength and not geography decided the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.