• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I heard some info that will have this forum lighting up
In 2016 there is going to be a 200k salary cap on all clubs to run there rugby season.
This cap covers grade and colts and includes things such as match payments, cars, petrol money,accomodation, sign on fees etc etc plus the big one Scholarships and costs associated with Scholarships.
I have not heard how its going to be managed etc etc.
thinking about this i would imagine if put too the clubs 10 clubs would vote for the salary cap and 2 against
If uni and Randwick had say 20 full scolarships each at 5k thats half there money gone.
Not included in the salary cap is coaches payments and S&C costs.

Without even going in to the merits (or not) of the proposal, it seems to me that any regime such as this will require significant resource (and therfore costs) in policing it. As we're consistently told that the code is almost broke and we have no money to spend on development and expansion, I wonder where we are going to find the money for this? Either the powers that be think that an honour system will work, or they are just going to put in rules that can be bent and contorted out of shape to the point that they are useless.

Even the NCAA in the states struggles to enforce their regulations regarding amateurism - in fact every time an athlete takes them to court, the NCAA loses and in high profile sports such as basketball, college sport is amateur in name only.

As with most things, the clubs with the most resources and contacts will be able to find many ways around the system and the suckers trying to follow the rules will get screwed.

The people running rugby in this state and country can barely get the basic administrative tasks right - I have zero faith in their ability to competently do anything like this. Even the Chinese government struggles to control the free market, what makes the NSWRU think that they can?:rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
HJ , manly by 10-15 , , Just seen on RugbyNews that Lucas and Bergelin are out and No Gower, Maybe and upset on the cards.

From what I have seen in the past few weeks, if Gordon have any sort of scrummaging ability, Manly will struggle. Chatswood Oval would be a bog by now, so a forwards game seems likely. I'm not confident at all - this game is almost toss of a coin stuff.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Randwick up 17-13 in 2nd half. They're getting hammered in the penalties and just hanging on. Just had their 2nd yellow card.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Pirates won
Just
Pretty poor game
No curried sausages
MTBs last few weeks have been forgettable
Let's not pretend coaching from sideline made a difference

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pirates won
Just
Pretty poor game
No curried sausages
MTBs last few weeks have been forgettable
Let's not pretend coaching from sideline made a difference
Another tough day, in more ways that one.
Some exciting play at times from both teams but ultimately neither team played at the standard required of a contender. It was good to see some first grade debuts (on both sides if I'm not mistaken) but this was "a game for the die hard fans".

On a related note, there has been a little talk about Wests' young up and coming halfback Tommy Sawden (not sure if that is the right spelling) who played seconds today - he copped a couple of very hard knocks from Parra early on but jumped to his feet immediately and played a very solid game. He has talent, without doubt, but his size will limit his opportunities. Seems a nice kid too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Very quick line speed: struck me at various times that there was no advantage in having the ball and very possibly a disadvantage.

Yeah, they didn't give Eastwood much room and had several of them rattled. Considering their such a young squad that defensive style is more complimentary of their attacking game plan. Something I've noticed this season that impressed me most is that the Wicks pack has developed some starch. In the past against a pack like the Woods I would expect a noticeably lighter Wicks to be shunted about the place. Apart from the odd hiccup they didn't give an inch.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah, they didn't give Eastwood much room and had several of them rattled. Considering their such a young squad that defensive style is more complimentary of their attacking game plan. Something I've noticed this season that impressed me most is that the Wicks pack has developed some starch. In the past against a pack like the Woods I would expect a noticeably lighter Wicks to be shunted about the place. Apart from the odd hiccup they didn't give an inch.

Thought the wicks 7 provided a lot of that starch: outplayed Perrett (which is a rarity) but I thought he might have been carrying an injury.
Wicks backline is very good - love to see it on a dry day.
Horwitz may be a born 12....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thought the wicks 7 provided a lot of that starch: outplayed Perrett (which is a rarity) but I thought he might have been carrying an injury.
Wicks backline is very good - love to see it on a dry day.
Horwitz may be a born 12..

The average age would have to be around 21 surely. Pack not much older.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The average age would have to be around 21 surely. Pack not much older.

The backline would certainly average 21 y.o. The pack is were the age jumps. But probably not by too much. I'm fairly sure that I played PSSA reps with Toa Asa (knew him as Junior so unless he's his doppleganger) as a kid so he at least 28.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well excluding when Hoiles plays they had Baldwin, Figg, Hanigan, Johnston, Vea who can't be older than 22

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 17 Results

Shute Shield - First Grade
Gordon 17 Manly 32
Randwick 20 Eastwood 13
Northern Suburbs 22 Eastern Suburbs 17
Parramatta 29 West Harbour 31
Southern Districts 76 Penrith 10
Warringah 21 Sydney University 29

Colin Caird Shield - Second Grade
Gordon 18 Manly 43
Randwick 19 Eastwood 36
Northern Suburbs 20 Eastern Suburbs 15
Parramatta 22 West Harbour 31
Southern Districts 102 Penrith 5
Warringah 12 Sydney University 11

JR Henderson Shield - Third Grade
Gordon 24 Manly 20
Randwick 8 Eastwood 24
Northern Suburbs 15 Eastern Suburbs 29
Parramatta 7 West Harbour 36
Southern Districts 62 Penrith 19
Warringah 22 Sydney University 24

Henderson Cup - Fourth Grade
Gordon 0 Manly 76
Randwick 3 Eastwood 29
Northern Suburbs 16 Eastern Suburbs 12
Parramatta 42 West Harbour 24
Southern Districts 36 Penrith 0
Warringah 0 Sydney University 47

Round 18 Games - 25 July
Manly v Randwick
Eastern Suburbs v Parramatta
Eastwood v Warringah
Penrith v Gordon
Sydney University v Northern Suburbs (Shown Live on Channel 7Two)
West Harbour v Southern Districts

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gregor George Cup (Club Championship) Watch:
It is getting tighter at the top as the usual suspects jockey with their positions and consolidate their lead at the top of the table. There is now 76* (LW 68) points separating the top 3 clubs.

There are a maximum of 215 points available to a club each week, based on all 7 club teams winning with a 4 try BP and the target to win is >3000 points which was achieved by 3 clubs last year. In 2014 the difference between 1st and 2nd was only 33 points, with 3rd only 52 points further back.

Sydney University, 2703 points (up 1 place)*
Eastwood, 2671 points (down 1 place)
Randwick, 2627 points
Manly, 2405 points
Northern Suburbs, 2183 points (Round 17 Colts games to be played)
Warringah, 1884 points
Southern Districts, 1803 points
West Harbour, 1687 points (up 1 place)
Eastern Suburbs, 1613 points (down 1 place) (Round 17 Colts games to be played)
Gordon, 1558 points
Parramatta, 1186 points
Penrith, 201 points

How the Club Championship table is calculated.
The competition points from the individual competitions are multiplied by the following factors and then added together.
First Grade - 15
Second Grade - 8
Third Grade - 5
Fourth Grade - 4
Colts 1 - 6
Colts 2 - 3
Colts 3 - 2

The 33 point difference between Gold and Silver last year could have been made up from an extra 2 BP in Shute Shield and an extra BP in Colts 2, or an extra victory without a BP in 2nd Grade and an extra BP in Colts 3.

*Edit: Sydney University points have been adjusted down by 30 points due to a breach in 3rd Grade Colts eligibility criteria. The Championship just got a whole lot hotter at the top!

Three clubs will have a very close eye on progress scores across the day on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.