• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You missed the fine print after the "or" @The Coach. No need for a special dispensation. The clever sausages at SRU have already thought about this one. (Boldfacing is not in the original document)

33.2 A player shall not be eligible to play in a Finals Series fixture unless:

(b) The player has been on representative duties during the current season and has played a minimum of two minor premiership matches in the current season at the same Club in which he is seeking eligibility, or has been a registered player with the club (according to the online registration system) without break for the previous two years.

Provided DD has been registered with The Corporation for the past two years "without a break", there doesn't seem to be any requirement to play any games at all to be eligible for Finals Series. Under this rule, they could even roll out Izzy Folau, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley and a few others for the GF if they wanted to (and if they make it). Your mob could do so for KB (Kurtley Beale) and Sekope Kepu, but not Jacpot as he has only been a registered Galloper for one year.

"Told youse all" that there'd be some gems in the SRU Competition Rules to rival the "Scots College dispensation" in the SJRU Rules.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You missed the fine print after the "or" @The Coach. No need for a special dispensation. The clever sausages at SRU have already thought about this one.

(b) The player has been on representative duties during the current season and has played a minimum of two minor premiership matches in the current season at the same Club in which he is seeking eligibility, or has been a registered player with the club (according to the online registration system) without break for the previous two years.

Provided DD has been registered with The Corporation for the past two years "without a break", there doesn't seem to be any requirement to play any games at all to be eligible for Finals Series. Under this rule, they could even roll out Izzy Folau, Nick Phipps, Bernard Foley and a few others for the GF if they wanted to (and if they make it). Your mob could do so for KB (Kurtley Beale) and Sekope Kepu, but not Jacpot as he has only been a registered Galloper for one year.

"Told youse all" that there'd be some gems in the SRU Competition Rules to rival the "Scots College dispensation" in the SJRU Rules.

Was there ever any doubt that there would be?

Bring Back The Ruck

Herbert Moran (7)
Its a pity Dave Dennis didnt opt to seek a release from Uni (and get some of that dispensation) and give the Emus a boost in their last Home game of the year/season.
So much for caring about the demise of rugby West of Camperdown;)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
You missed the fine print after the "or" @The Coach. No need for a special dispensation. The clever sausages at SRU have already thought about this one. (Boldfacing is not in the original document)

And he hasn't played a single game for either the Beasts or the Wicks so he'd have to be introduced to the players and probably given directions to the ground!

We could also select Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell if someone had been smart enough to register them ;)

While on the subject of competition rules (wrong thread I know) it's about time the fresh reserve rule was tightened up to avoid the nonsense of high points players running on for 3 seconds in a lower grade so their points don't count when they sit on the bench in 1st grade.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ No you couldn't. Pretty sure that the International Transfer of MG and DM would have required them to register with other than an Australian (or Sydney) based club. Also weren't they most recently registered with Balmain Club in NSW Suburban Rugby and only "on loan" to the Randi-Wixers.

Jacpot has probably spent more time in the last two years with the Convicts than he has with the Beasts or Gallopers :) .

I concur with the potential (and actual) Fresh Reserve rule loophole and reckon that the Player Points should be 1/2 if they play for > 1/2 the lower grade match and 0 if they play more than 60 minutes of the lower grade game. Full Player Points to apply if they play less than 1/2 the lower grade fixture.

That being said, I can't really recall any teams getting too close to the Player Points Cap in grade this year. It might be an issue with all the Paratroopers returning home from Super Rugby in the last couple of rounds.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
^^ No you couldn't. Pretty sure that the International Transfer of MG and DM would have required them to register with other than an Australian (or Sydney) based club. Also weren't they most recently registered with Balmain Club in NSW Suburban Rugby and only "on loan" to the Randi-Wixers.

Jacpot has probably spent more time in the last two years with the Convicts than he has with the Beasts or Gallopers :) .

I concur with the potential (and actual) Fresh Reserve rule loophole and reckon that the Player Points should be 1/2 if they play for > 1/2 the lower grade match and 0 if they play more than 60 minutes of the lower grade game. Full Player Points to apply if they play less than 1/2 the lower grade fixture.

That being said, I can't really recall any teams getting too close to the Player Points Cap in grade this year. It might be an issue with all the Paratroopers returning home from Super Rugby in the last couple of rounds.

Uni were close last week -- 94 points in the run on side + Jake Wainwright who appears to have been a fresh reserve (2 points) = 96.

They've left out a couple of high pointers this week (Paddy Ryan 16, Mat Philip 10) so should be able to fit in Dennis (16 points?) and Latu (12).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I reckon Dennis is a Category A player (20 points) with Long Service discount of 50% for 8 years with them = 10 points.

The rest of the players in the starting team are as per previous Rugby Link Player Points declarations.

Using the published team off their web site, I have The Corporation running on with 97 points this week. https://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/team-list.html

They will have to be very careful with any Fresh Reserves this weekend, but I note that the only "usual suspects" missing from their 2nd grade team that could be "Fresh Reserves" seem to be Paddy Ryan (16 points), Jake Gordon (1 point), Tom Coolican (1 point), Stuart Dunbar (1 point) and Greg Jeloudev (1 point). Their absence from the 2nd Grade List may be due to injury.

I have just run my eyeometer over round 16 and 17 for Grade 1 and Grade 2 just to see how close Clubs were to the Points Cap, with their rock stars back. Apart from The Corporation in Grade 1, most clubs in both Grades were well below the Points Cap, even when all reserves points were counted.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I wonder if we'll see a cameo appearance from Paddy Ryan in 3rds or 4ths so he doesn't count as a fresh reserve for 1sts?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can't happen @The Coach.

If Ryan has been rated at 16 Player Points by The Corporation, then he is either Category A with 4 Local discounts or Category B.

Rule 7.4.1 Category A and B players are only eligible to play 1st and 2nd Grade except:
Players who are not currently contracted and did not perform any International and or Super duties in the preceding season, are eligible for any grade and/or Colts (subject to Colts eligibility)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Can't happen @The Coach.

If Ryan has been rated at 16 Player Points by The Corporation, then he is either Category A with 4 Local discounts or Category B.

Rule 7.4.1 Category A and B players are only eligible to play 1st and 2nd Grade except:
Players who are not currently contracted and did not perform any International and or Super duties in the preceding season, are eligible for any grade and/or Colts (subject to Colts eligibility)

OK, but they could probably fit him under the points cap in 2nds so I guess he must be injured if he hasn't been named.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not too bad with the tips last week predicting 5/6, and not too many outside the Coogee Oval faithful would have predicted the Woodies to get touched up by the Randi-Wix in the slop at Coogee Oval.

Round 18 Tips
Manly v Randwick. Will the Young Ones benefit from the Annual MMM Choke? At the Village Green, fortified by the finest brews from Nomad Brewery, the locals think not. A loss by the Gallopers will probably cruel their hopes for the Colts Club Championships (which they have won already) and Club Championships Double. Defence of the home ground may be just enough incentive to get the MMM home by 7-10.

Eastern Suburbs v Parramatta. A heavy track at Woollahra Oval may favour the MP2B who are overdue a victory, and they will be out to seek revenge for their round 10 loss to the Beasties at their Merrylands home base. Beasties have not troubled the scoreboard attendants much in the last 6 rounds and while they should win, I'm tipping the MP2B to win by 7-15.

Eastwood v Warringah. Both teams are coming into this match on the back of a loss in a game that they will believe that they have won. Woodies usually bounce back from their losses, and at home should keep a hold on the chocolates. Club Championship is at stake and the Woodies need to win all grades with BPs to put pressure on The Corporation. Woodies by 10 - 15.

Penrith v Gordon. A dead rubber as far as the finals series is concerned, but the Staggies should come away with the "W" after their name. Gordon by a lot.

Sydney University v Northern Suburbs. If they want to win the Club Championship, The Corporation will need to beat the Shoremen with a 4T bonus point. The Corporations Team List, laden with Super Rugby players, shows that they intend to leave no stone unturned in that quest. The Shoremen will become roadkill in the Corporation determination to win the Club Championship and to give Tummy Carter a suitable result in his 200 game milestone match. BuildCorp by 15+.

West Harbour v Southern Districts. The Pirates can't make the Finals but will be formidable opponents for the visitors who will relish a tough hit out in their final game before finals begin. Pirates will unfortunately not be able to reward their supporters with a victory in their final game of the year, going down by 8-15.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Without doubt the toughest round of the year for tipsters.
Manly should beat Wicks who I think might be a bit flat after their big win last week.
Parra to squeek home in a arm wrestle in the mud.A game for the purists only.
Woods over Rats simply because they can't play that poorly two weeks running.
Gordon will get plenty of bumps and bruises on their way to a win over the Emus.
Uni will beat Norths comfortably,Uni are building towards a GF,whilst I perceive that Norths run has ended.
Souths should win easily,if they are credible contenders for the title.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Manly beat Randwick, the mighty Woodies will be given the task of kicking the Camperdown Claque out of the comp.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
HJ, I can tell you not too many of the Coogee faithful predicted the win last week either!

I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I'm struggling. If Manly win tomorrow we get to travel to Manly again next week for an instant replay. If we manage somehow to pull off a win we'll presumerably have to go to TGMilner to play Eastwood. Bugga!

Status
Not open for further replies.