1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2015

Discussion in 'Shute Shield' started by Hugh Jarse, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Bring Back The Ruck Herbert Moran (7)

Yeah, on his day though Horwitz is a real talent - saw one game this year where he was head and shoulders above everyone else and one where he just didnt get going.
    blindsider likes this.
  2. Marlin Boy Bob McCowan (2)

I'm biased too but No 9 for Manly is the best player in the competition.
  3. Goldust Bob McCowan (2)

Awards are always interesting at this time of year. If you went to every coach in the Shute Shield and said "you can have one player from another club" I would imagine Lucas, Holloway, Volovola, Roach, would feature prominently. Horwitz a good player, but not the best across the competition. I am amazed not one of the top 4 clubs got an award.
    Dave Beat, Marlin Boy and Dingasden like this.
  4. I like to watch Simon Poidevin (60)

Players in top teams are disadvantaged in Catchpole,as points are shared amongst more of their players.
    Marlins are a good example,Gower,lucas,lane,hodge,Hartmann & porecki when available were all vying for points.
    Horwitz was not surrounded by such quality.
  5. Couldofbeen Bob McCowan (2)

How is coach of the year picked?. I am still confused how Conn beat the likes of Manetti and Cummins?
  6. Marlin Boy Bob McCowan (2)

you've got to finish outside of the top 6 for consideration.
    Dave Beat likes this.
  7. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

^^^ It is "Peoples Choice" as voted by the other coaches. No idea what the process or criteria used is.

This from the NSW RU Web site:

"The Dave Brockhoff Medal for Coach of the Year, as voted by Intrust Super Shute Shield coaches, was awarded to Simon Cron from Northern Suburbs, whose team finished eighth on the ladder after a very positive season overall."
  8. Marlin Boy Bob McCowan (2)

Yeah he must have cemented it in the last round when they lost 52-12 at Uni. ;)
    Couldofbeen likes this.
  9. Couldofbeen Bob McCowan (2)

Are the coaches required to drink a bottle of rum before voting? That's the only way they could of come to their decision.
    Marlin Boy likes this.
  10. Hugh Jarse Rocky Elsom (76)

Not a bad decision making methodology and one that is not without precedent. We used to run this state/colony on rum, although now it seems that $3000 bottles of Grange can do big things for a Premier.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum_Rebellion
    Marlin Boy likes this.
  11. MACCA Ron Walden (29)

Judging from the above (ie the season predictions) , it would seem that the Beasts and Darren Coleman are the great under achievers this year. Well done to Warringah & Norths who punched above their weight.
  12. Goldust Bob McCowan (2)

Not doubting that but, is Dave the best player in the comp? Its a flawed system. Daniel Halangahu was the best most influential player in the competition for 10 years during Unis run but never polled well. Maybe the players should vote at the end of the year? Not sure the answer.
  13. MACCA Ron Walden (29)

Think you might find that he doesn't get on the paddock for the Rams this year.
  14. Goldust Bob McCowan (2)

On this rationale a team could finish 7th or 8th, beat Parra, Penrith, Wests, Gordon and Easts. A players gets 3 points in every one of these games as likely they will score tries / points, pick up a couple in the remaining 13 rounds and win the Catchpole as the best player in the comp?
  15. Bring Back The Ruck Herbert Moran (7)

Only 6 picked so far, still one to be named though - but I know Williams rates him highly.
  16. Dave Beat Paul McLean (56)

I'm lost for words on the topic - hence limited contribution.
  17. GunnerDownUnder Jim Clark (26)

Hopefully it gives the MMMs some amo for Saturday and they show the judges who deserved to win some of these awards
  18. GunnerDownUnder Jim Clark (26)

Not many other options with black going to itm cup and the omission of a few woods players
  19. Dave Beat Paul McLean (56)

Also, our friends at Paladin have slashed the prices on all available merchandise,

http://www.paladinsports.com.au/manly-marlins-rugby

There down at Brookvale for pickup, or who knows if you buy on line they may have contacts so it will be at ground on Saturday with your name on it so it’s nice and easy.
  20. GunnerDownUnder Jim Clark (26)

Tempting Dave
    What are the sizes like?
    Any definite chance they will be represented on Saturday for collection?