• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yep savings, and also help promote with premier teams venturing outside of the normal area, in NSW Lake Make, Hunter, Crescent, Mudgee, all make for a good weekend away - these tournaments would get stronger, and you would accrue points for the finals, top 4 teams from each state for a weekend.

Simple with the core of it already established.

PS BarTV already live steam a number of these as well and do a great job.

Depends on the formats. I'd prefer to see a Premier 7s competition run in line with the regional competitions I have suggested with the top 6 playing in the State Championships. The teams I'd like to see on a national circuit would be State teams plus National Indigenous similar to the set up of the National 7s at present.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
TV Schedule first seven rounds

Rd 1 - Warringah vs Norths

Rd 2 - S. Districts vs Randwick

Rd 3 - Manly vs Parramatta

Rd 4 - Sydney Uni vs Norths

Rd 5 - Randwick vs Easts

Rd 6 - Eastwood vs West Harbour

Rd 7 - Easts vs Gordon (in Orange, NSW; curtain-raiser will be local derby Orange City vs Orange Emus).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Heard some good information this morn;
  • The above 7's idea is being talked about and planned.
  • We will be seeing more SS clubs take a game out to the country in the future.
Definate plans to grow, promote and expand our game with what we have.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Heard some good information this morn;
  • The above 7's idea is being talked about and planned.
  • We will be seeing more SS clubs take a game out to the country in the future.
Definate plans to grow, promote and expand our game with what we have.

Do you mean a Premier 7s competition? Regarding the country games. Well, credit where credits due on that one I have to say. It's a good start.

I actually think the SS should looking to further engage with the country regions but inva slightly different way. In the past we saw rep sides from the Illawarra, Hunter and Central Coast enter the competition. I'd like to see something along those lines again but using a different aproach.

Look for clubs located in those regions that could be considered strong candidates for inclusion. I know one of the biggest issues clubs had with the rep sides was the lack of teams they brought with with. Well, working with clubs to elevate them to SS level ensures that you can potentially bring multiple grades along with them.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Not sure what falls under the Premier banner - but it captured quite a bit of the above and a bit more. It is on the todo list.

Country Regions - yes interesting. I do like the idea of ech team taking a game out the the country, who knows what ideas build from there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure what falls under the Premier banner - but it captured quite a bit of the above and a bit more. It is on the todo list.

Country Regions - yes interesting. I do like the idea of ech team taking a game out the the country, who knows what ideas build from there.

I still think the idea of taking a game to the country regions should happen. As most regions are too spread out to provide the kind of club I am referencing.

But I think the Shield should also be looking to grow beyond its Sydney confines. But it has to be in regions with significantly large population bases. So the Illawarra (say Wollongong Vikings) and the Hunter (Wanderers) would be ideal.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
I still think the idea of taking a game to the country regions should happen. As most regions are too spread out to provide the kind of club I am referencing.

In this vein, it's worth a mention that the Sydney Uni v Rebels Under 20s fixture in the Riverina has been a welcome early season highlight for those of us in this area of the world.

Great effort from both teams to get out of the big smoke, get in the bus and play some great rugby in Southern NSW. Well done Nic Henderson, Tom Carter, Tim Davidson and their respective organisations for coming out to the sticks, we really appreciate it.

Look forward to hosting you all again next year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
In this vein, it's worth a mention that the Sydney Uni v Rebels Under 20s fixture in the Riverina has been a welcome early season highlight for those of us in this area of the world.

Great effort from both teams to get out of the big smoke, get in the bus and play some great rugby in Southern NSW. Well done Nic Henderson, Tom Carter, Tim Davidson and their respective organisations for coming out to the sticks, we really appreciate it.

Look forward to hosting you all again next year.

When and where is it being played?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Half actually put up an interest point on the broadcast thread. Considering the SS has to pay for their broadcast why don't they look to simulcast games on fb? The Tahs fb page has 168,000 likes alone. Certainly an interesting way of reaching out.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Half actually put up an interest point on the broadcast thread. Considering the SS has to pay for their broadcast why don't they look to simulcast games on fb? The Tahs fb page has 168,000 likes alone. Certainly an interesting way of reaching out.

Hearing broadcast is looking good for FTA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hearing broadcast is looking good for FTA.

Well, the first 7 games listed above kind of gave that away.:) Still, I think simulcasting on fb should also be part of their broadcast strategy as it offers flexibility to those who otherwise cannot tune in at 3pm on a Saturday and flexibility to those in other states/overseas.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Probably, it's because the FTA broadcaster would object to it.
Get too clever and that's all you end up with,

Then go with a delayed broadcast. That way the FTA broadcaster gets exclusive live rights. If something like the SS wants to grow its footprint it needs to develop it accessibility to potential consumers. Having it on the 7Two is great but its only restricted to NSW and the ACT. There's still opportunities to grow beyond just those confines.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any idea of the turnout for the game?

It was easily into the 50's or so but that doesn't include the two dogs. largely made up of travelling family from the Rebels with a spattering of locals from the Steamers.

Rugby is a tough sell on the Border, the match was well supported by the club, the Steamers always put on a good show and are great hosts.

There was also a NRL trial in Albury on Saturday plus the usual AFL pre-season in Narrandera.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Another idea could be to look to include the U20s teams from the Brumbies, Reds, Revels and Force as a means of broadening the interest in the SS from other states that help help expand the broadcast. If a workable financial model could be worked out. It could work out for all concerned with the U20s being able to traincand compete in a longer arguably tougher competition. They have been playing trials against club sides recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.