• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I think Penrith proves blokes will drive to play for a successful club (a.k.a. sadly not Penrith).

Ripping clubs out of their spiritual homes is not something I can see being successful, frankly.

Nor should they. If they want to expand the Shute Shield they need to identify growth regions and look at established clubs that could be developed toward Shute standard. This would invlove the establishment of junior structures etc. It shouldn't be done over 2 or 3 years but set a 10 year pathway while continually reassessing these clubs progress annually.

My example of the Macarthur region is a prime example. Currently around 240,000 and projected using current development projects to double that in 10-15 years. This figure doesn't take into account several large plans that have recently been announced or are currently in the consultation phase (I have friends in both the Campbelltown and Camden Councils). Add in the 50,000 new residents planned for Wilton 15 minutes down the Hume and a team in the Macarthur/Wollondilly regions would be a good idea.

I'd go for the Campbelltown Harlequins. They have the best club set up at the moment with easily upgradeable facilities over the above period.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
So I added the NSW Subbies to the map. Note Campbelltown play in the Illawarra comp so weren't part of the data set. Population data is from the 2011 census. Subbies in Red, Shute in Black.
As previously stated Juniors would be interesting to add, though the data is harder to gather.
y3m0v7MD7Y73XuefbU8tT5OESRba5PvmEW1p4cAsTfNhZC1NFJL6kQ3gstSI0GGf4IIsigtnTmcnrKhe1UA50wayfynSWK0274lQQVPG3zq5F_lKH_7nP-Ht950Nj3_90KiEuuQu8aAY6Mi_rRzmB-yxYDIKAbMCLwchL00V803MEA

Wazza2013

Fred Wood (13)
Nor should they. If they want to expand the Shute Shield they need to identify growth regions and look at established clubs that could be developed toward Shute standard. This would invlove the establishment of junior structures etc. It shouldn't be done over 2 or 3 years but set a 10 year pathway while continually reassessing these clubs progress annually.

My example of the Macarthur region is a prime example. Currently around 240,000 and projected using current development projects to double that in 10-15 years. This figure doesn't take into account several large plans that have recently been announced or are currently in the consultation phase (I have friends in both the Campbelltown and Camden Councils). Add in the 50,000 new residents planned for Wilton 15 minutes down the Hume and a team in the Macarthur/Wollondilly regions would be a good idea.

I'd go for the Campbelltown Harlequins. They have the best club set up at the moment with easily upgradeable facilities over the above period.

Agree, Campbelltown does have a good home ground. As does Penrith.

I would like to see, Penrith supported,fostered and developed to become competitive before expanding the SS.

I do think Campbellown could be a good inclusion if we strengthen our current stocks.

Give them a time frame of a couple of years start date to stregthen and be ready, don't want see a new admitted Campbelltown become a Penritn.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apart from my flippant riposte above, if the powers-that-be are serious about expanding rugby in the greater Sydney area, while at the same time maintaining a 12 team competition, one current Sydney club has to go. I totally agree with your observations, WCR, expanding where the population's growing's a no-brainer. In the long run one of the established clubs in the crowded north or east should get the chop; it'll happen one day (remember Drummoyne?), not a decision I'd like to be involved with.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Suggest that this might be a good move by West Harbour. I had the belief a lot of Parramatta's network was Belly.

With a greater network and better resources at West Harbour anything could happen. We will see if some positive movement happens in the next 12 months.

Announcement of new General Manager

West Harbour Rugby Club has today announced the appointment of Michael Bell to the role of General Manager as part of a series of changes to the off-field structure within the Club ahead of the 2017 season.

This latest announcement signals yet another significant step towards rebuilding the Club. It follows recent confirmation that former Waratahs, Bulls and Rebels coach Todd Louden has accepted the position of Head Coach at West Harbour for the next two years.

The news also ends much speculation as to where Mr Bell, a highly regarded rugby administrator and former General Manager of Parramatta Rugby Club, would end up following his recent departure from the Two Blues.

West Harbour Club President Geoff Threlfo said the Pirates will benefit enormously from the experience, skills and network Mr Bell brings to the role at such a critical time for the Club’s future.

“We are delighted to have secured the services of Michael Bell to help guide the Club through the rebuilding process. He has extensive experience and success in managing rugby clubs.” said Threlfo.

“His leadership and his ability to build strategic relationships with key partners, governing unions and local government were attributes the board felt made him an ideal candidate for the role.”

“We believe the management and the coaching structure at the Club, with both Michael and Todd at the helm, will be a formidable combination as the Club looks to progress and strengthen its ties with the community,” he added.

In accepting the position, Bell said he believed that West Harbour are yet to reach their full potential and he was excited about the potential opportunities for the Pirates in 2017 and beyond – both on and off the field.

“There’s no question that as a club, West Harbour has a lot of work to do and we won’t be getting ahead of ourselves. But I am encouraged about the prospect of what lies ahead,” said Bell.

Bell is vastly experienced in establishing strong working relationships and open dialogue with both state and federal members of parliament that ensured in successful grant applications. Under his guidance, the Two Blues also reached the 2012 Shute Shield semi finals just two years into a five year strategic plan.

Bell also served as a Competition Manager with NSW Rugby from 2005 to 2009 and also previously held the position of Colts Coach at Warringah Rugby Club.

Pirates Head Coach Todd Louden welcomed the appointment, noting that Bell’s understanding of both the on-field aspects of rugby together with his strong competition and club administration background, made him an ideal choice for the role.

“Michael and I worked together briefly at the NSW Waratahs in the past and I am looking forward to working with him again. He has the respect of not only the coaching staff here at the Pirates, but also is highly thought of amongst other clubs and our governing unions,” said Louden.

Bell agreed and said the chance to work alongside Louden again played a major factor in his decision to take on the role at West Harbour.

“I always enjoyed working with Todd (at NSW Waratahs) and I found at the time we shared similar views. This hasn’t really changed and I strongly believe that with Todd at the helm of a strong playing roster and what I know I bring to the table in terms of administration, together we can achieve great things for West Harbour,” said Bell.

Mr Bell officially commenced his new position on Monday 10th October and has already met with key Club stakeholders with a view to tightening up key operational and administrative areas of the club ahead of the 2017 season.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Michael Bell is obviously an excellent administrator and the detail of Todd Louden's coaching borders on a beautiful mind. Great pick-ups.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
West Harbour Rugby Club has today announced the appointment of Michael Bell to the role of General Manager ....
I imagine we'll be seeing a "new" member on the forums now - @BellyPirates or maybe @BellyWests .

Good luck to Michael, he'll do well there. Although I wonder if he factored in the "can't see the field from the canteen" element in his decision making :)

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
I would like too wish Michael Bell good luck in his new venture. While he might be abrasive at times he is a great operator and will thrive with better resources. all the best

Suggest that this might be a good move by West Harbour. I had the belief a lot of Parramatta's network was Belly.

With a greater network and better resources at West Harbour anything could happen. We will see if some positive movement happens in the next 12 months.

Announcement of new General Manager

West Harbour Rugby Club has today announced the appointment of Michael Bell to the role of General Manager as part of a series of changes to the off-field structure within the Club ahead of the 2017 season.

This latest announcement signals yet another significant step towards rebuilding the Club. It follows recent confirmation that former Waratahs, Bulls and Rebels coach Todd Louden has accepted the position of Head Coach at West Harbour for the next two years.

The news also ends much speculation as to where Mr Bell, a highly regarded rugby administrator and former General Manager of Parramatta Rugby Club, would end up following his recent departure from the Two Blues.

West Harbour Club President Geoff Threlfo said the Pirates will benefit enormously from the experience, skills and network Mr Bell brings to the role at such a critical time for the Club’s future.

“We are delighted to have secured the services of Michael Bell to help guide the Club through the rebuilding process. He has extensive experience and success in managing rugby clubs.” said Threlfo.

“His leadership and his ability to build strategic relationships with key partners, governing unions and local government were attributes the board felt made him an ideal candidate for the role.”

“We believe the management and the coaching structure at the Club, with both Michael and Todd at the helm, will be a formidable combination as the Club looks to progress and strengthen its ties with the community,” he added.

In accepting the position, Bell said he believed that West Harbour are yet to reach their full potential and he was excited about the potential opportunities for the Pirates in 2017 and beyond – both on and off the field.

“There’s no question that as a club, West Harbour has a lot of work to do and we won’t be getting ahead of ourselves. But I am encouraged about the prospect of what lies ahead,” said Bell.

Bell is vastly experienced in establishing strong working relationships and open dialogue with both state and federal members of parliament that ensured in successful grant applications. Under his guidance, the Two Blues also reached the 2012 Shute Shield semi finals just two years into a five year strategic plan.

Bell also served as a Competition Manager with NSW Rugby from 2005 to 2009 and also previously held the position of Colts Coach at Warringah Rugby Club.

Pirates Head Coach Todd Louden welcomed the appointment, noting that Bell’s understanding of both the on-field aspects of rugby together with his strong competition and club administration background, made him an ideal choice for the role.

“Michael and I worked together briefly at the NSW Waratahs in the past and I am looking forward to working with him again. He has the respect of not only the coaching staff here at the Pirates, but also is highly thought of amongst other clubs and our governing unions,” said Louden.

Bell agreed and said the chance to work alongside Louden again played a major factor in his decision to take on the role at West Harbour.

“I always enjoyed working with Todd (at NSW Waratahs) and I found at the time we shared similar views. This hasn’t really changed and I strongly believe that with Todd at the helm of a strong playing roster and what I know I bring to the table in terms of administration, together we can achieve great things for West Harbour,” said Bell.

Mr Bell officially commenced his new position on Monday 10th October and has already met with key Club stakeholders with a view to tightening up key operational and administrative areas of the club ahead of the 2017 season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I imagine we'll be seeing a "new" member on the forums now - @BellyPirates or maybe @BellyWests .

Good luck to Michael, he'll do well there. Although I wonder if he factored in the "can't see the field from the canteen" element in his decision making :)

Maybe @TinkerBell with a connection to Captain Hook in Peter Pan?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

The canteen can always be moved :)

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
How many semi-pro players are there at Concord?

I'm sure they're picking up something financially and living their life with a rugby centric structure, though I'm not suggesting it's much.

Are you suggesting the West Harbour 1st Grade are all paying subs and dolling out for their shorts?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
But of a difference between having the occasional player not paying full subs at a Club (frequently due to socio-economic circumstances rather than rugby ability) as opposed to being "semi-pro".

I might be wrong but from what I've been told they run a pretty tight financial ship at Concord and what little money they have is spent very frugally. Billy Pulveriser would approve.

Semi-pro is the Tahs EPS and development players - circa $30k.

NRC players are on about $5k downwards for uncontracted players. $5k is about one weeks work for some professions. Would you call a person who only receives remuneration for their skills as a lawyer, doctor, dentist, vet, consultant, etc for one week each year a semi-pro or a volunteer?

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
Speaking of West Harbour, did we know that Cameron Orr has gone overseas to play for Gloucester?
0b8a53d4ce6adbf0302e3a4262ed268d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I imagine they will respond the same way as "semi professional" players did at previous clubs, i.e positively.
Sure, I rate the bloke as a coach. I'm just saying it'll be a shock to the system in terms of depth.

I don't think the average semi-pro player will have seen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.