• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

front row lova

Bob McCowan (2)
And here I was expecting another points fest from Uni and zip for Penrith after last weeks 78-0 performance. Still a loss, but at least got some points on the board.

How did Emus pack go against unis? They have great talent from what I seen this yr in the forwards. Uni is always a top class outfit. What about them Pirates yihaaaahhhh. Shute Shield is going great this yr!

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
That Wests v Eastwood game was fantastic footy all over the park. Open, skilful and even though people wouldn't of chosen it as a TV game, it made for an awesome TV game

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Games being taken to the country get preference, I'm not too upset at this.
I'll give Southern Districts a miss and have a trip to Manly to watch it live.

While the parrot has been absent for some time (see above) I am moved to fulsome support for the SRU in its engagement with the bush . Country clubs are a great generator of players to the Shute Shield and they are getting sweet Fanny Adams from the super franchises whose radar on selection does not extend beyond those deemed as being in "the pipeline".

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
How did Emus pack go against unis? They have great talent from what I seen this yr in the forwards. Uni is always a top class outfit. What about them Pirates yihaaaahhhh. Shute Shield is going great this yr!

Not sure, I only saw the score. But some of the photos on the Emus facebook page suggest they did ok.

I watched the Woodies v WH game last night, definitely a cracking game, better than the Tahs v Reds game I watched last week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Full scores from SRU web page:

Randwick 24 v 24 Eastwood
Southern Districts 34 v 27 West Harbour
Manly 23 v 18 Northern Suburbs
Parramatta 26 v 20 Penrith
Sydney University 33 v 29 Warringah

Eastern Suburbs 33 v 19 Gordon

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well 6 rounds of talking about the Marlins Burger - NSWRU CEO Andrew Hore had to come down and see what all the chatter was about. I reckon he took some good stuff out of the day.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well 6 rounds of talking about the Marlins Burger - NSWRU CEO Andrew Hore had to come down and see what all the chatter was about. I reckon he took some good stuff out of the day.

He would have seen a better game and better, more committed supporters than he's used to.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He would have seen a better game and better, more committed supporters than he's used to.

So what do we deduce from this? That professionalism was actually a mistake? Can't be that, because all these players are professionals.

Club rugby supporters are just not interested in the game at higher levels? Maybe. The ARC and NRC are proof of that.

Whatever the reasons, there is only one future for the game if club rugby is the apogee. Park footy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So what do we deduce from this? That professionalism was actually a mistake? Can't be that, because all these players are professionals.

Club rugby supporters are just not interested in the game at higher levels? Maybe. The ARC and NRC are proof of that.

Whatever the reasons, there is only one future for the game if club rugby is the apogee. Park footy.

Or, that if the ARU wants a successful professional game then they need to engage with the grassroots and bring them along with them.

As I see it, the professional game has (purposely for whatever reason) been built on a foundation of sand. More and more, the powers that be insult and ignore those in clubland and hope that we go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.