• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Sorry, mate. Firstly, I really admire Parramatta, but that is because I am Eastwood through and through. So I am probably not the right person.

Secondly, I live a long way away these days. If I still lived in the district, i would have loved to give a talk or something.
And that my friend is the common theme.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
With a program i think they would.
A plan.
Desired results.
Benifit to kids.
Benifit to school.
Enjoyment.
Working with children checks.

As much as i dont want to say it, i find public schools lazy now. Back when i was growing up we had teachers that would volunteer their hours to coach after school because they liked / played rugby them selves.

I'm finding these sorts of teachers no longer exist, they want something for it, and the school doesnt want to pay it.

So by giving the school a program and ensuring you tick boxes for them - education departments may like it.

I think that is unfair! There are still many teachers who do extra hours for all sorts of things from extra tutoring to dance & singing productions to a variety of sports teams. I agree that it seems that rugby isn't one of those. Maybe rugby players don't become teachers. There's also the whole litigious thing, where any sport that can lead to serious injury has so many rules around it that its hard to get off the ground.
Unless you were a rugby player or had a really good grounding in the coaching thereof as a teacher the idea of coaching rugby is scary. Even in the Private schools they are struggling to find teachers who will coach the school teams, and are increasingly hiring rugby players to come in and do the coaching.

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
AFL are very busy getting in every school and doing camps and coaching sessions and the Paul Kelly Cup. It's at least making kids go home and say to Mum and Dad 'Can I play AFL?'

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think that is unfair! There are still many teachers who do extra hours for all sorts of things from extra tutoring to dance & singing productions to a variety of sports teams. I agree that it seems that rugby isn't one of those.
  1. Maybe rugby players don't become teachers.
  2. There's also the whole litigious thing, where any sport that can lead to serious injury has so many rules around it that its hard to get off the ground.
Unless you were a rugby player or had a really good grounding in the coaching thereof as a teacher the idea of coaching rugby is scary. Even in the Private schools they are struggling to find teachers who will coach the school teams, and are increasingly hiring rugby players to come in and do the coaching.

Hi there, I wasnt having a go at teachers, or schools - there are teachers there that put in a huge effort. It was suggesting rugby needs a program that ticks boxes the school wants ticked.

1. yes that does play a part, i referrenced that in my post.
Back when i was growing up we had teachers that would volunteer their hours to coach after school because they liked / played rugby them selves.

2. oh the litigious injury thing, i had that sitting under;
giving the school a program and ensuring you tick boxes for them - education departments may like it.

The school also does play a part as well though - some schools do have a alot of kids that already play, teachers that would coach, but the school likes dance, choir, chess and the likes - then it gets a bit frustrating.

You say the schools are hiring players, that is a great initiative of the school and i know players that do this.

I agree with what you are saying.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Were Norths a bit under strength against The Wicks? Mind you they did score 3 tries to 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
They were with out Irae Simone and Con Foley in the centres.

Caught the game on TV and was pretty uninspired.

Really sloppy and I can't believe Deegan / Kellaway / Robinson are Waratahs - didn't look dangerous at all.

Thought Woolf had a good game for Norths, as did Miller and their 12 (didn't catch his name).

Norths replacement 9 was hopeless and their prop, Luxton (sp?) was fantastic.

That was Norths game to win and they fucked it up.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Were Norths a bit under strength against The Wicks? Mind you they did score 3 tries to 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wicks were without Baldwin (gone bush?), Munro, Short and Goddard also. Wicks game plan was very conservative --- kick for field position and take every shot at goal within range. We got the points!

Johnny Drama

Sydney Middleton (9)
Eastwood look a shadow of their former greatness. The D against Wests was embarrassing. Miller and co had so much speed they could score a try from anywhere. Don't think the current XV are in the same class.

S

sidelineview

AFL are very busy getting in every school and doing camps and coaching sessions and the Paul Kelly Cup. It's at least making kids go home and say to Mum and Dad 'Can I play AFL?'

The NSWRU are in the process of hiring casual development officers to get around to the schools.

Whats schools and how often?

I have no idea. I suppose all will be revealed later but at least its some positive news re the governing bodies being proactive in promoting the game.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The NSWRU are in the process of hiring casual development officers to get around to the schools.

Whats schools and how often?

I have no idea. I suppose all will be revealed later but at least its some positive news re the governing bodies being proactive in promoting the game.

It's called Game On - calling that casual development officers is a bit much, but it's a good step.

S

sidelineview

It's called Game On - calling that casual development officers is a bit much, but it's a good step.

Thats what they're being called but what would you call them?
And what details do you have of this initiative?

Status
Not open for further replies.